Search for content in message boards

best way to put genealogy online for all to see????????!!

best way to put genealogy online for all to see????????!!

Posted: 5 Nov 2012 6:08PM GMT
Classification: Query
I would like to put my online genelogical records on a site that is available to all. I have all info (extensive) plus notes on what is called a Gedcom.

What is the best way to do it? Make my own website?

I have all info on RootsWeb, but names held on Rootsweb do not always come up on a Google search!

Thank you,

Neil

Re: best way to put genealogy online for all to see????????!!

Posted: 5 Nov 2012 6:19PM GMT
If you want your data to be found by Google you'll have to publish it on your own website. Ancestry.com's trees are not found by Google or any other search engine. None of the other genealogy sites are searchable either.

Posted: 5 Nov 2012 6:21PM GMT
Does that include the things on Roots Web? And when you say other genealogy sites, what do you mean?

But as you say I thought Id have to have my own site. Organizing the material would be a terrific job and I would have to ask someone who has done it.

Thanks

N

Posted: 5 Nov 2012 6:35PM GMT
Yes, Ancestry.com owns Rootsweb. There are a dozen or so other genealogy sites but none are indexed by public search engines.

All major genealogy programs can produce web pages that you can easily upload to your own site. I use Ancestral Quest, the successor to AFT.

Even if you create your own website you should upload your GEDCOM to Rootsweb and even Ancestry.com so users of those sites can find your data.

Posted: 5 Nov 2012 6:43PM GMT
Thank you. Im sorry to be so annoying but may I ask one more question?

I assume from your comment that Ancestral Quest is a program into which you can put all your data and then make a website out of it? Kind of like a Gedcom? And I would just need someone who knew whow to make a website and put the info on Ancestral Quest on that site?

You are obviously dealing with a Neanderthal in me. ;)

Neil

Posted: 5 Nov 2012 6:49PM GMT
Yes, you are correct: Ancestral Quest and the other programs can import your GEDCOM and export a set of files that can be uploaded to your website.

Once you have done that the customer service people for the website hosting company can walk you through the upload.

I have my website, www.juch.org, hosted by GoDaddy.com. I've modified my pages with some ads which more than pay for the cost of the hosting.

Posted: 5 Nov 2012 6:56PM GMT
Thank you for the information. I have bookmarked your site and hope you dont mind any other questions as I try to do this.

Neil
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions