Search for content in message boards

Mysterious change of name Thomas Henry DAVIES/THOMAS

Mysterious change of name Thomas Henry DAVIES/THOMAS

Posted: 25 Jan 2013 4:06PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 25 Jan 2013 4:34PM GMT
Surnames: DAVIES THOMAS ROBERTS
Help! I have located a mysterious change of surname in a family in my tree, from THOMAS to DAVIES (or vice versa) in 1911.

I have been searching for some time for the parents of Lewis John Davies b. 1911, Merthyr Tydfil.
I acquired his marriage certificate, which stated his father's name Thomas Henry Davies, fruiterer.
Census searches for Thomas Davies, fruiterer were unsuccessful.
I finally bit the bullet and ordered Lewis John Davies birth certificate. Born 2nd July 1911 at 26 Waterloo Street, Caefantwyll, Merthyr Tydfil. Father Thomas Henry Davies, master fruiterer. Mother Annie Davies formerly Roberts.
With this information I still couldn't find the family (without Lewis John Davies of course) in the 1911 census.
Then I browsed through the 1911 census to see who was living at 26 Waterloo Street in April 1911:

Thomas Thomas, 24 years, fruiterer, Pontlottyn, Merthyr
Annie Thomas, 26, Perydown, Merthyr
Elizabeth W Thomas, 11 months, Merthyr

Does anyone have any inkling as to either why the family would give a different name or change their name for Census and Birth records? Or if this could be some incredible coincidence?

I have also found a marriage entry for an Annie ROBERTS in Q1 1909, which is when Thomas THOMAS and Annie THOMAS state they married on the 1911 census return. When I look at the others on the page, Annie ROBERTS is one of only 3 names. Census search shows the other two entries married each other, meaning the name of her husband is not indexed. A manual search of that quarter shows a Thomas Henry DAVIES with the same page number (11a 929) so this is the correct marriage. There is no entry for a Thomas THOMAS. Could this lack of indexing suggest there was/later was some dubiety about his name?

Thanks in advance!!

Re: Mysterious change of name Thomas Henry DAVIES/THOMAS

Posted: 25 Jan 2013 11:53PM GMT
I have looked at another version of the Marriage Index and for Qtr Jan 1909 (Vol 11A Page 929)in Merthyr Tydfil there are four names:

Annie Roberts
Thomas Henry Davies
Levi John Rees
Keturah Evans

Assuming that you have the right family in 1911 I am at a loss to know why the name variation, other than perhaps simple human aberation - Thomas having a bad day!

Re: Mysterious change of name Thomas Henry DAVIES/THOMAS

Posted: 26 Jan 2013 11:30AM GMT
Surnames: DAVIES THOMAS
Thanks for this Megan.

Based on this I had a look a to if I could see Thomas Henry DAVIES in the censuses as a child. Something very funny is going on in 1911.
His mother Elizabeth WEBSTER marries Thomas Henry DAVIES' father, Thomas DAVIES, in 1882. But the 1881 census shows Elizabeth WEBSTER living with her first husband Lewis THOMAS and with five children. They have a boarder - none other than Thomas DAVIES (assuming its the same one).
It seems that in 1911 Thomas Henry DAVIES inexplicably adopts his mother's previous married name. This is made even more interesting because the name he gives his first son, Lewis John, is shared by his half-brother - the last of his siblings to be born to his mother's first husband.
Now, I can't a suitable death entry for Elizabeth WEBSTER's first husband Lewis THOMAS. I wonder if her second marriage was bigamous? Or if even Lewis John's parentage was in question by 1911?
Very, very weird!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions