Search for content in message boards

Deleting Blank Marriage Event in FTM 2011

Deleting Blank Marriage Event in FTM 2011

Posted: 24 Mar 2012 5:40PM GMT
Classification: Query
When I enter multiple spouses for an individual and later decide to remove one of them, the marriage "EVENT" remains even though I have removed the name, date and place for that event. For instance, let's say I originally enter two spouses for an individual and later decide the first entry was an error and I remove it, leaving the second spouse as the only spouse. When I look at the individual's spouse list it still shows he has two marriage events. For the first spouse, it shows [No Spouse Entered}, and when I run reports, the individual's ONLY true spouse is shown as spouse number no.(2).

Question 1: How do I get rid of the unwanted marriage "EVENT" for spouse (1)?

Question 2: How did I inadvertently create this situation?

Re: Deleting Blank Marriage Event in FTM 2011

Posted: 24 Mar 2012 6:06PM GMT
There are varying degrees of complexity. If there are children, you have to delete or attach them to someone first so that the unwanted spouse does not have others attached.

I next go to the Person View/Page of the People mode and delete the marriage event fact so that the marriage no longer ties the couple together.

Then I go to the Family view and delete the spouse.

If ever I get it messed up and have an Unknown as spouse anyway, I rename the unknown as Poop. Then I merge Poop with the legitimate spouse in order to have only one and get rid of the name Poop.

Why Poop? Because I may have many Unknowns, but only one Poop...so I can easily find the Unknown I am trying to get rid of. If ever I find the name Poop left amongst my names I know I still have work to do to finish.

I think that if the spouse you want to eliminate has children that really belong to the spouse you are keeping, then you could just merge the two spouses while choosing to keep the data for the correct one and discarding the data for the one you wish to eliminate BUT I HAVE NOT TRIED IT.

Posted: 24 Mar 2012 6:49PM GMT
Thank you for the suggestion. I used your "merge" method to get rid of the unwanted spouse. It seems like a strange way to resolve this problem, but it worked. I think I create this situation in the first place by deleting the unwanted spouse as a person first when I should be deleting the EVENT first, then the PERSON. What do you think?

Posted: 25 Mar 2012 6:21PM GMT
Yes, you are correct. First, delete the event (dissolving the marriage) and then the unwanted spouse and you will not create the situation. That was what I hoped to convey with my long-winded reply.

Posted: 25 Mar 2012 10:19PM GMT
Excellent. Thank you very much!

Posted: 20 Aug 2013 1:24AM GMT
How do you get rid of 2 unknown marriages? It seems FTM could find an easier way to correct this sort of thing. I would like to share this info with my family but after all day working on just this one family I won't live long enough.
Thelma Tomlinson
thelmamarie55@gmail.com

Posted: 20 Aug 2013 1:27AM GMT
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions