Search for content in message boards

Langley Family in Dublin 1873

Langley Family in Dublin 1873

Posted: 13 May 2010 9:54PM GMT
Classification: Query
I was wondering whether there is anyone who can help me, I have really hit a brick wall now with tracing my family tree in Dublin.

I have managed to find out that my great grandfather Robert Langley was born 20 May 1873 in No9 North Dock street in Dublin. His parents were Samuel Langley and Anne Fitzpatrick. He also had a brother called Samuel born 16th June 1875. I do not know what happened to my great grandfathers brother Samuel, the last evidence of him was in the 1901 english census, where he was living with his brother Robert in Garston Liverpool.

I am trying to find out where Roberts father Samuel was born and when and where roberts brother went (both robert and his brother Samuel were mariners). I believe Roberts mum and dad Samuel and Anne were married at St Lawrence O'Tooles church on Sherriff street Dublin, but I cannot comfirm that.

My Grandfather John Langley was born in Woolton Liverpool and married Teresa McKenna

If anyone has any information and can help me I would be so grateful

Regards

Paul

Re: Langley Family in Dublin 1873

Posted: 19 May 2010 7:39PM GMT
At www.irishgenealogy.ie, there is a baptism record for Kate Langley born 1887, parents Samuel Langley and Mary Fitzpatrick. She was baptised at St. Andrews RC Church, Westland Row, and address given is 33 Glocester Street (correct spelling is Gloucester Street), which is on the north side of the River Liffey, across the bridge from St. Andrews (which is on the south side). Gloucester Street was/is? in the area of Dublin Docks.
Also, there is a John Langley in the Dublin Griffiths Valuation, 1854, living at Seville Place, which is also near Gloucester Street (see www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation). The local RC church for that area is St. Laurence O'Toole, where your Samuel (father) and Anne/Mary? were married. Looks as if this John Langley might be Samuel's father, and the grandfather of Robert, Samuel jnr and Kate.
Hope the above is of interest.
Good luck!

Posted: 21 May 2010 2:25PM GMT
Thank you so much for the information.

In my records I have Samuel's dad as being Thomas Langley with a profession of a farmer. Recorded on the marriage certificate dated 20th Sept 1871

Samuel was living at 33 Mayor street west before he got married to Annie Fitzpatrick.

I believe Annie had a sister called Maggy Fitzpatrick who was present at the birth of Robert Langley in 1873 my great grandfather. Maggy's real name have been Mary.

I wonder whether between 1875 and 1887 Annie may have died, leaving Samuel to then marry her sister Maggy / Mary

If you have any more information I would be most grateful

Thank you once again for the information that you already sent me

Regards

Paul

Posted: 22 May 2010 9:28PM GMT
Hi
Sorry, but I don't have any specific info on the Langley family - just trying to help you out, if I can.
Do you know where Thomas Langley (father of Samuel snr) was from? I had a look at Griffiths Valuation, and there were only 2 Thomas Langley's in the whole of Ireland - one from Mayo and one from Tipperary. If one of these is "your" Thomas, you have a good chance of finding his marriage cert - unless you already have this info?
Also (again, unless you already have the info), you might be able to find a baptism cert for Samuel snr. in the local Parish records, and perhaps other siblings.
Who was Annie Fitzpatrick's father? Do you know where he was from? You should be able to find him on Griffiths if you have that info. Unfortunately, Fitzpatrick is quite a common name, and it will be difficult to pinpoint him without at least a county to go on.
Maggy is normally short for Margaret, so maybe the registrar just got it wrong in St. Andrews, and mother of Kate was Anne, and NOT Mary - it happens, and I have proof of it myself, unfortunately! But if you get Kate's state birth cert, it will give you her mother's correct name.
Not sure what else I can tell you, but again, good luck in your search!
Colette

Posted: 27 May 2010 5:48PM GMT
Hi Colette

Thank you so much for all of your hard work in trying to help me, it is very kind of you.

My main problem with my family tree is that I don't know when or where Samuel Langley snr was born or where and when his father Thomas was born. This has been my stubbling block for a couple of years now. According to Samuel's marriage certificate his age at marriage read FULL AGE, Annie's age read 18, making her birth date being around 1853. Her residence was 3 Sheriff street east at the time o marriage

My father before he died always thought the family were from Somerset or Devon, but I'm not sure after my investigations. As for Thomas's marriage certificate I don't have that at this time

I believe Samuel Snr was a mariner but I can't confirm that. Robert his son and my grandfather John were both Mariners, that I definately can confirm.

As for Annie's father, according to the marriage certificate of Samuel and Annie he was called Robert Fitzpatrick and his profession was a mariner. I wonder if this is how Samuel met Annie, through her father, if Samuel was also a mariner and worked on the same ship.

I will try and follow up on your leads

Thank you once again for your help

Regards

Paul

Posted: 4 Apr 2013 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: LANGLEY
I feel sure that the Thomas Langley from Mayo is connected to my Langley family and there are no Samuel's or Fitzpatrick's in my line. This might save you fruitless searching.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions