Search for content in message boards

death place

death place

Posted: 8 Apr 2011 4:33PM GMT
Classification: Query
is the death place for family trees the city-county-state of the person's residence or is it the city-county-state of the actual death such as a medical center 100 miles away? I'm finding offical documents that are reporting the death place differently.

Re: death place

Posted: 8 Apr 2011 4:43PM GMT
Well, as far as I'm concerned it is the actual location where the person died. Ancestry as seen fit to use in family tree situations the last address in the SSDI as place of death which seems to me to be rediculous. I always either change it if known or blank it out.

Posted: 8 Apr 2011 4:43PM GMT
Place of Death is the actual location where the death happened- nothing to do with where they lived.

Posted: 8 Apr 2011 11:05PM GMT
Thanks,
Yes it was the SSDI that was giving me the data that represented the home address.

It seemed strange, but too new to be sure.

Posted: 10 Nov 2011 4:54PM GMT
What I would do, if your program permits, give the death place and then show were place of burial is at. This way you will have a record of both places.

Posted: 10 Nov 2011 9:10PM GMT
With TMG, you can also record the person's residence (address, town, county, state, etc.) and enter the date they died in that record also. That will help you later if you want to find an obit, which might be found in their hometown newspaper -- not in the town where the hospital was located 100 miles away.

In fact, I usually add a residence tag every time I find a location for a person. It helps you to know where to look for records.

You can also enter a burial tag/event with the name of the specific cemetery and place it is located. You can enter the burial date here also, which is usually on the death certificate.

TMG is very flexible. Look at the Master List of Tags and you will see lots of options. You can even make up your own Tags/Events after you feel more comfortable with the program.

Sharon

Posted: 21 Mar 2012 3:24PM GMT

It seems to me that SSDI gives the last residence which is not the same thing as place of death. Also, some entries have where the last check was sent. Sometimes this is a death benefit to the funeral home. I think it is still $255 for burials.

Posted: 5 Nov 2012 12:01PM GMT
I know for a fact you are correct about SSDI death information not being the actual place of death. Example: Many of my ancestors have died in one county or hospital but actually lived in a different county. The sticky part is they have chosen to be buried in the family cemetery, located 100 miles away. Therefore, there are often 3 different locations one may find the same ancestor listed as place of death. Ugh!!

Posted: 7 Nov 2012 3:08PM GMT

The SSDI can be misleading. Examples I have run across in Texas are people taken to a major urban hospital from a rural area only to die there. These included men and women taken to a VA hospital. Also men and women taken to the Texas and Pacific Nursing Home in Marshall, Texas, until they died. A married couple I traced were then both taken back from Marshall to Indiana and buried in their hometown. They had been living in Dallas some two hundred miles from Marshall. Another was a man from Sherman, Texas, who went to a railroad hospital in Temple, Texas, which is in central Texas far away from where he lived. Texas does have a Texas death index on ancestry.com which does give the actual county. The information is also available on familysearch.org and comes from death certficates.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic