Search for content in message boards

Owen Scanlon/Katherine Higgins/Mary Langton

Owen Scanlon/Katherine Higgins/Mary Langton

Posted: 10 Feb 2011 7:15PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 10 Feb 2011 7:16PM GMT
Surnames: Scanlon, Higgins, Langton
I am looking for info on my great grandparents. Owen Scanlon (?~1830) first wife Katherine Higgins, second wife Mary Langton born in Derryrolah, Keash, Sligo (in what now is Ballifad?). I have not been able to find info on their parentage or further back. Nothing in LDS. Any help greatly appreciated.

Re: Owen Scanlon/Katherine Higgins/Mary Langton

Posted: 10 Feb 2011 9:56PM GMT
Edited: 10 Feb 2011 10:03PM GMT
Marriage
1882 Qtr.Jan-Mar, vol.4, page 84, Boyle, Co Roscommon - Owen Scanlon
1882 Qtr.Jan-Mar, vol.4, page 84, Boyle, Co Roscommon - Mary Langton
http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#start

Sight of the marriage cert will give you name of father for both bride and groom.

Details on how to order: www.groireland.ie

Best regards.

Posted: 18 Aug 2011 6:10PM GMT
I am trying to find info about my parents : MICHAEL JOSEPH SCANLON and Bridget Scanlon Nee Guilfoyle.
Hope someone can put us on the right lines....

Posted: 19 Aug 2011 8:28PM GMT
Michael Joseph Scanlon is the youngest child of Owen and Mary Langton Scanlon. I haven't found much yet on Bridget Guilfoyle Scanlon. Owen and Mary Scanlon are my great grandparents. I haven't gotten much past Owen but still trying. There are relatives that still live at the old homestead in Sligo. I am awaiting response to a letter regarding Owen's parents, etc.

Posted: 17 Mar 2013 10:52PM GMT
I had to reply to this , as my Grandmother's Aunt and Uncles were Michael, Bridgette, and Frank Scanlon. She was raised in Sligo , her name was Mary Kate Higgins, born May 31, 1907, in Dublin ireland , and later moved to Sligo. Her mother was Ann Scanlon . Ann's mother was Mary Scanlon and her husband I thought was Peter Scanlon. It is stated that my grandmother's grandmother's (Mary Scanlon) maiden name was Mary Wynne. The Scanlon's had a homestead in Sligo. Ann Scanlon's sibbling are Frank, Michael, and Bridgette Scanlon DOb's estimated 1880's 1890's. Ann Scanlan came to America's in 1910 with my Grandmother who was three and her sick sister Bridgette. Bridgette was was too sick to enter into the States and was sent back to Ireland with my Grandmother, Mary Kate. My grandmother Mary Kate was raised by her grandparents named Ann Scanlan and Joseph Scanlon. They lived in a thatched cottage attached to her Uncle Frank's cottage. We think my grandmother's father 'Higgin') died in WWI when my grandmother was 3. It was also stated that he was a teacher and Protestant and that they could not be together ..so I am inquiring about Ann Scanlan's Marriage certificate. We also think Michael Scanlon was in WWI as well, then came to the states where it was said he openned up a Pub. If its the same cottage ....my grandmother stated that the church was two hours away and that she had to go to church every week, or the priest would call out your name and if you were not there humilate your family's name. She also stated that the cottage had two rooms, the kitchen had a bed in the wall, and the upstairs had a bed in the wall. So it looks like info on Michael and Bridget Scanlon is correct, but you have Owen instead of us having Peter, and Langton instead Wynne. Our stories were hard to retrieve as my grandmother had a very hard life and inquiring about her past upset her so. We unfortunatley do not have credible proof to document who her mother and siblings were other than sotries and filing for registrations of birth, deaths and marriages in ireland. My grandmother had 10 children , and was a step mother to 3 boys making 13 all together. My father was her first born, I am my father's first born.

Posted: 17 Mar 2013 10:52PM GMT
I had to reply to this , as my Grandmother's Aunt and Uncles were Michael, Bridgette, and Frank Scanlon. She was raised in Sligo , her name was Mary Kate Higgins, born May 31, 1907, in Dublin ireland , and later moved to Sligo. Her mother was Ann Scanlon . Ann's mother was Mary Scanlon and her husband I thought was Peter Scanlon. It is stated that my grandmother's grandmother's (Mary Scanlon) maiden name was Mary Wynne. The Scanlon's had a homestead in Sligo. Ann Scanlon's sibbling are Frank, Michael, and Bridgette Scanlon DOb's estimated 1880's 1890's. Ann Scanlan came to America's in 1910 with my Grandmother who was three and her sick sister Bridgette. Bridgette was was too sick to enter into the States and was sent back to Ireland with my Grandmother, Mary Kate. My grandmother Mary Kate was raised by her grandparents named Ann Scanlan and Joseph Scanlon. They lived in a thatched cottage attached to her Uncle Frank's cottage. We think my grandmother's father 'Higgin') died in WWI when my grandmother was 3. It was also stated that he was a teacher and Protestant and that they could not be together ..so I am inquiring about Ann Scanlan's Marriage certificate. We also think Michael Scanlon was in WWI as well, then came to the states where it was said he openned up a Pub. If its the same cottage ....my grandmother stated that the church was two hours away and that she had to go to church every week, or the priest would call out your name and if you were not there humilate your family's name. She also stated that the cottage had two rooms, the kitchen had a bed in the wall, and the upstairs had a bed in the wall. So it looks like info on Michael and Bridget Scanlon is correct, but you have Owen instead of us having Peter, and Langton instead Wynne. Our stories were hard to retrieve as my grandmother had a very hard life and inquiring about her past upset her so. We unfortunatley do not have credible proof to document who her mother and siblings were other than sotries and filing for registrations of birth, deaths and marriages in ireland. My grandmother had 10 children , and was a step mother to 3 boys making 13 all together. My father was her first born, I am my father's first born.

Posted: 17 Mar 2013 11:06PM GMT
RE: My grandmother Mary Kate was raised by her grandparents named Mary and Peter .... I have conflicting stories... Also the only thing my grandmother told me about her youth was that the boys were mean ... and that they lived by a railroad where the boys would tie down cats to train tracks and so forth and so on......

Posted: 18 Mar 2013 3:32PM GMT
Yes Michael, We are cousins. Your grandparents were Owen and Mary (Langton) Scanlon. My records show Bridget Guifoyle to be Michael's second wife. Michael was the youngest of the 10 children of Owen and his second wife Mary Langton Scanlon. His first wife Katherine Higgins Scanlon died after their third daughter was born. I haven't been able to get much past Owen other than his father's name is listed as Patt as the father of the groom on their marriage application. There are still family members living on the old homestead in Sligo, Ireland. Michael's older sister Anna is my grandmother who came to the US.

Posted: 18 Mar 2013 3:40PM GMT
As you noted there are discrepancies. There are quite a few Scanlons in Sligo, many with children with the same name, which makes this so interesting. Our particular Scanlons did not have a Frank or Peter. Love your anecdotes! The family stories always are so intriguing.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions