Search for content in message boards

Richaud

Posted: 22 Apr 2012 1:08AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Richaud
Am looking for information on Joseph or Francois Richaud,and/or Geraldine Plantation outside of Gibson in Terrebonne Parish. The home burned to the ground years ago, the story goes that the caretaker was smoking and fell asleep. My information is very limited, I am not even absolute about the name of the Plantation and my information on Joseph is limited and on Francois is very scarce.

Re: Richaud

Posted: 23 Apr 2012 2:03AM GMT
Not familiar with Geraldine Plantation. Greenwood Plantation where my folks are from was also nearby, but it's not likely that these were being confused since Greenwood still stands. You might inquire at the Historic New Orleans Collection (museum in the French Quarter). They have maps of the river showing the plantations along the way. Can't hurt.

Posted: 23 Apr 2012 3:20AM GMT
Thank you so much for the suggestion. Will try to get to N.O. soon to do just that. I have really been having a time finding information, my family just seems to have appeared under a cabbage leaf. :)

Posted: 23 Apr 2012 3:33AM GMT
You can call the reference desk at the historic NO Collection. They may be able to help over the phone. Also, the diocesan archives are kept at Nichols State U in Thibodeaux, but they are not searchable electronically - the archivist can help you by phone or you can visit and look for yourself.Be sure to look at the old census records - easy to do on Ancestry. Good Luck! (PS: My people are Lancon's from Bayou Black.)
Posted: 17 May 2012 4:49PM GMT
I found this posted on GenForum by Reynold H. Richaud on 1/25/2002:

My grandmother was named Octave Carlin before she married Joseph Francois Richaud. They had 3 boys and 3 girls and lost a fourth girl. To the best of my knowledge they are all buried in New Orleans. Prior to moving to New Orleans my Grandfather Joseph Francois Richaud and his wife, Octave, had a rice Plantation in Terrebonne Parish, Louisiana, consisting of approximately 1000 acres, at the little town of Gibson, Louisiana. In addition to having the Plantation(known as the Geraldine Plantation) Joseph was also the Justice of the Peace for Terrebonne Parish. Joseph and Octave's children were named Scuddy, Reynold, Sr.(my father), Gordon, Helen, Eula Yvonne, and Geraldine. (Geraldine died an infant). I failed to mention earlier that my Grandmother, Octave was born in Osyka, Mississippi.
Posted: 17 May 2012 4:55PM GMT
Edited: 17 May 2012 4:58PM GMT
Using that information, I found obituaries on Joseph & Octavia (Josephine Octavia Carlin Richaud). They're attached. His doesn't list his burial place, but she's buried in Hope Mausoleum in New Orleans.

You can order their death certificates, which may include information on their parents if the informant knew it. Order them from the state archives using this information:

Joseph Richaud
1943 Orleans Parish Death Records
Page: 4133 Volume: 219

Josephine Octavia Richaud
1950 Orleans Parish Death Records
Page: 7094 Volume: 0
Attachments:
per page

Find a board about a specific topic