Search for content in message boards

Ansell, Liss, Sherman (seeking information on family)

Ansell, Liss, Sherman (seeking information on family)

Posted: 5 Nov 2001 4:39AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 5 Apr 2003 11:05PM GMT
I did not learn my mother was Jewish until after her death. Her mother, Anna Sherman came from the Ukraine (I believe) with two sisters, Frieda and Pauline, and maybe one brother. Possibly between 1915-1925. My mother was born in 1925 and believed that her mother came to NYC as a young woman without her parents.

I believe my grandfather, Francis Ansell, came from Warsaw in 1898 with his parents Hyman David Ansell and Flora (Liss) Ansell. I know they lived in NYC.

Francis Ansell (GF) married Anna Sherman and they had four children, Esther (my mother), Jean(Ruth?), and Harold and Gerald (twins, not identical). My grandmother died in a mental institution and I don't recall ever meeting her, though I was told that I did meet her when I was a youngster. I believe that she was hospitalized in the early or mid forties after being ill for a long time. I think she may have died in the 1960's or 70's.
I think my mother was raised in Brooklyn, although Jamaica/Queens is listed on my grandfather's death certificate. There are no living family members who can provide me with further information. I apologize for the length of this message. I'm hoping it will sound familiar to someone.

Re: Ansell, Liss, Sherman (seeking information on family)

Posted: 30 Dec 2001 5:53AM GMT
A very long shot---my gggparents' last name was Anschel---which I've been told was probably originally Anschelowitz,Anschelevitz or ??? which was possibly from Latvia,Lithuania,Germany,Austria and/or????? Could have been Poland for all I know. I know that I am Jewish, but have ancestors who either were not, or who converted to Christianity, so nothing is impossible.
Sounds as if all your ancestors were Jewish, as both Liss and Sherman are common Jewish surnames in America. (Yeah, yeah, I know, there was a General Sherman burning Atlanta, but...)

So far as I know, the Anschel, Appel & Krawftzoff/Kraftsow, family may have moved to France as my father & his parents were all born there from about 1850-1914. Some family still live there; most moved to U.S. and/or Canada 1900-1915.
If you have any further information, please let me know, but in any case, PLEASE ACKNOWLEDGE THIS REPLY.
Thank you & Happy New Year.

Posted: 3 Jan 2002 2:34AM GMT
Surnames: Ansell, Liss, Sherman
Thanks for responding to my post. On my grandfather's petition for naturalization he lists his name as Francis Liss Ansell. It further states he arrived from the Republic of Poland and Russia, but according to an Uncle, he was from Warsaw. He was born August 21, 1893 and the petition states he sailed from Hamburg on Sept 1, 1897 and arrived in NY Sept, 15, 1897, vessel unknown. His address at that time was 246 Henry St. New York, and his occupation was compositor. He applied for naturalization on May 1, 1920. His witnesses were Jacob Schaffer and Morris Price. On his application for a social security card, his mother's name appears to be Flora Anshelevitz (witz). However, his handwriting is difficult to read and that may be inaccurate. His father's name is listed as David Hyman Ansell, but on his death certificate his father is listed as Hyman Davis Ansell and his mother is listed as Flora Liss. I know that he served in the military in a unit that according to my Uncle, "chased Pancho Villa's army back into Mexico. " I was told he was in the Cavalry
and that he tended horses. His wife was listed as Anna R. Ansell, but according to my Uncle, this was his second wife. I'm not sure that's true.
The name I have for my grandmother is Anna Sherman (Ansell). My mother's name was Esther, but she went by Ellen. According to my Uncle, my grandmother was from the Ukraine, where she lived on a farm. I have no idea where in the Ukraine. My mother mentioned Germany, but I'm inclined to believe my Uncle's information is more accurate in that respect. My grandmother was diagnosed with schizophrenia and I believe that she died in a mental institution. She must have been hospitalized by the early or mid 50's. Also, both my uncles were hospitalized at one time, and my Uncle Gerald also died in an institution. That's about all I know except for what was in my origonal post. If you have any questions, or if any of this information rings a bell, please let me know. Also, a response to this post would be appreciated. Thanks Again, Ellen

Acme (View posts)
Posted: 3 Jan 2002 6:04PM GMT
Hello, Ellen, happy new year.

My printer is acting up, which is okay as most of the time it's my computer giving me grief, but I can't print out your letter to look up stuff---so, am giving you my email address, not that it will make printing any easier, but so you & I can stop going through a third party to see if there is any connection: acme100@attglobal.net

Adrienne Mendelson
Chevy Chase, MD

Re: Ansell, Liss, Sherman

Posted: 28 Oct 2002 1:57PM GMT
Your message says the name of the ship is unknown (on which your grandfather arrived in 1897). I lack the URL for the Hamburg Emigration Archives, but I saw it online. Ship names can be found if the surname of the passenger is known. Only part of the archive is online.

To check if the date of arrival given on the naturalization petition is correct, take a look at this book : "Morton Allan Directory of European Passenger Steamship Arrivals," published in 1931 and reprinted 1979. It covers the Port of New York from 1890 to 1930. It also covers three other eastern seaboard ports from 1904 to 1926. It does not list passengers. It provides the name of the ship, the exact date of arrival, and the port of embarkation.

The online Ellis Island records are not perfect, perhaps because the volunteers had to interpret illegible handwriting. There are so many immigrants that the genealogist is dependent on an index if he doesn't know at least the month and year of immigration. Searching all of the passenger lists for the Port of New York for several years is not reasonable.

The federal census of 1900 may have asked the question of how long the person was in the U.S. If so, this can be compared to the date given in the naturalization petition. For those whose ancestors lived in New York State, there are also interdecennial censuses conducted by the state, the latest of which are 1905, 1915 and 1925. These are not indexed.

Reg Niles
RegNMINiles@cs.com

Re: Ansell, Liss, Sherman

Posted: 28 Oct 2002 2:17PM GMT
Surnames: Ansell, Liss, Sherman
Reg,
Thanks for your suggestions. I will attempt to follow up.
Ellen

Posted: 5 Jun 2005 1:12AM GMT
Surnames: kraftsow
Hi,
Thiis feels like ancient history. came upon this accidentally. I know of a branch of my family who left the Ukraine for france before they came to canada. They took the name Creed.
Don't know if its a relation
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions