Search for content in message boards

Help with census entry

Help with census entry

Posted: 22 Jun 2013 2:06PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Jenkins
Anyone with a good knowledge of locations able to help me with this entry from the 1871 census?

The entry is the second from the bottom )just above Glamorgan, Abedare).

It says it is in Breconshire. The nearest I have come to is from familysearch website which says "Llanycrwys, Breconshire" , but having researched this i knwo that Llanycrwys is in Camarthen so I am totally confused.

Desperately trying to work this out so I can find my ancestor on previous census.

Incidentally his name is Thomas Jenkins, born in 1846 married to Mary Jenkins born 1851 Aberdare living at 14 Windsor Street, Abedare.

Many thanks
Attachments:

Re: Help with census entry

Posted: 23 Jun 2013 11:26AM GMT
Edited: 23 Jun 2013 11:30AM GMT
I read it as Llanynys, Breconshire? It's a small village on the Afon Irfon, close to Builth. It's sometime seen as Llanynis.

"LLANYNYS, a parish in the hundred of Builth, county Brecon, 3 miles W. of Builth, its post town, and 4 N.E. of Llangammarch. It is situated on the river Irvon or Irion. There is no village, only a few farmhouses. A great part of the surface is mountainous and comparatively barren." (National Gazetteer, 1868)

Re: Help with census entry

Posted: 23 Jun 2013 6:18PM GMT

Maybe he was born in a barn or something hehe :))
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions