Search for content in message boards

Bedgood, Hendrix

Bedgood, Hendrix

Posted: 26 Dec 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 27 Dec 2001 3:55PM GMT
Surnames: Bedgood, Hendrix
Looking for information and history on my grandmother, Jesse Amelia Bedgood, married to Robert Dennis Hendrix. Lived in Monroeville, Monroe County, AL, at least during the 1940's and 1950's. I had a lot of relatives there but cannot remember most of the names.
Also had an uncle there named Leroy (Roy) Thomas Hendrix, married to Henrietta (Rhett). They had children but unable to remember their names.
Any help on my grandmother or grandfather, or other relatives in Monroe County (Monroeville or Mexia) sure would be appreciated.

Robert Dennis Hendrix

Posted: 22 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 31 Oct 2001 1:40AM GMT
Surnames: Hendrix, Bedgood
This reply to an post on the Monroe County website dated 26 Dec. 2000. Robert D. Hendrix was the 4th son of Lemuel Austin Hendrix & Missouria Porter. He went into the mercantile business at Mexia. Later, he built a new store between Jones Mill (today Frisco City) and Perdue Hill. A post office was established at this place (called Beaumont). He persuaded J.E. Hendrix to take over until the business could be sold. R.D. Hendrix went to Montgomery and worked at Forbes Piano Co. He left Montgomery for Birmingham and went to work for the Bable Co. He met and married Miss Jessie Bedgood of Columbia, Ala. He left B'ham for Jackson, Tenn and established a business. He went on to Greenville, Ms. then to Greenwood, Ms. then to Jackson, Ms. and back to Greenville. At Greenville, flood waters from the Miss. River almost destroyed his business in 1914. He sold out in 1914 and returned to Alabama. He and J.E. Hendrix went to Pensacola and established a produce business. A cholera epidemic forced the Hendrix men out of the produce business and they entered the cotton business. Their inexperience and the loss of markets during WWI forced the Hendrix men to sell and they went into the piano business.(Benjamin Lafayette Hendrix worked with his brothers) A flood in 1917 put them out of business and they returned to Monroe County, Ala. R.D. Hendrix established an oil business for Gulf Refining Co. and opened a land office.(Sold to Benjamin L. Hendrix, later Mayor of Monroeville) At the same time, he established a cotton busines and was very successful. In 1926, he "took the Texas fever" and sold out and went to Texas. He and his sister, Mrs. Alice Brown, moved to Texas in February 1926 and lost everything. In 1932, he returned to Monroeville and operated a grocery store until he went to work for the Farm Bureau where he became Secretary of Agriculture Conservation and the Cotton Allotment Dept.
This story written by Mr. J.E. Hendrix in 1930's.

The children of Leroy Thomas Hendrix were Robert Dennis Hendrix (called Bobby) and Thomas Eldridge Hendrix.

Steve Stacey
Monroeville, Ala.

Robert Dennis Hendrix

Posted: 23 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 27 Dec 2001 3:55PM GMT
Surnames: Bedgood, Hendrix
Thanks Steve, for your information on Monroe County, Alabama. I have a copy of the genealogy research done by J. E. Hendrix. My problem is finding birth, marriage, and death dates and places. I have some dates, but it is pretty sparse. In fact, about the only dates and places I have came from that report. Did J. E. Hendrix ever publish his research in book form or has someone published it recently on the internet?

Bob
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions