Search for content in message boards

James Henry Metcalf of Ky, Illinois,Fl

James Henry Metcalf of Ky, Illinois,Fl

Posted: 19 May 2004 10:10AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 31 May 2004 10:11AM GMT
Surnames: Metcalf, Anyan
Ggrandfather, James Henry Metcalf b. 1826 Calloway Co., Ky moved to Illinois early in his life, married Matilda Ann Anyan. Can anyone help me connect him to other Metcalfs? I don't know his parents or siblings names. Thanks............

Re: James Henry Metcalf of Ky, Illinois,Fl

Posted: 1 Mar 2005 4:11AM GMT
Edited: 7 Mar 2005 9:19PM GMT
I noticed your message and I'm curious if your James Henry Metcalf might be the father of my GGGF. My GGGF's name was James Henry Metcalf as well and was born in 1850. I'm just begining to trace my family and don't have too many details. I do know that my James Henry Metcalf married Mary Margaret Ramsey and at some point the family ended up in the Ashville NC area.

Thanks,

Jim

Re: James Henry Metcalf of Ky, Illinois,Fl

Sheila Beck (View posts)
Posted: 1 Mar 2005 10:50AM GMT
Surnames: Metcalf
Thank you for your inquiry, Jim, but if we are connected, it isn't this one. My ggrandfather married Matilda Anyan and had two children: Emma Montgomery (my grandmother) and Frank, both of whom were born in Cairo, Illinois. They moved to Tampa, Florida, where my father was born in 1900. Hope you find a good strong lead soon................

Re: James Henry Metcalf of Asheville area

Posted: 20 Jul 2005 10:09PM GMT
Jim --

Mary Margaret “Polly” Ramsey, born on January 1, 1857, died on February 1, 1925 in Madison County, NC, was the daughter of Wiley C. Ramsey and Elizabeth “Betty” Rice. Polly married James Henry Metcalf, born about 1851 in Madison County, NC. James was the son of Levi Metcalf and Drucilla Hunt. James and Polly had a large family including, William Pender Metcalf, James Otis “Jim” Metcalf, Charles Cameron “Charlie” Metcalf, John Robert Metcalf, Thomas Pittman Metcalf, Sarah Mae “Sallie” Metcalf, Elizabeth “Bessie” Metcalf, Mary Sue Metcalf, Margaret “Maggie” Metcalf and Carrie Metcalf.

Polly Metcalf, Bull Creek section, who has been ill for several months, died Sunday morning, February 1. The funeral was from Gabriel’s Creek church, conducted by Rev. J. R. Owens of Mars Hill. She was layed to rest in the cemetery before the church. She leaves the following children to mourn their loss: Mr. Thomas and Will Metcalf and Mrs. Cecil Buckner of this place; Mr. Charles and John Metcalf and Mrs. E. J. Edney, of Asheville; Mr. Jim Metcalf, Denver, Colo., Mrs. Jud Bailey, Petersburgl and Mrs. J. C. Jarvis of Mars Hill. She is also survived by the following sisters: Mrs. Betty Ramsey, and Mrs. John Wyatt of Asheville; and Mrs. Carrie Smith of Colorado.

Sheila Beck (View posts)
Posted: 20 Jul 2005 11:07PM GMT
My ggrandfather, James Henry Metcalf, was born in Calloway County, Ky., 1826 and married Matilda Anyan.

Diane Ramsey Miller (View posts)
Posted: 20 Jul 2005 11:12PM GMT
Hi Sheila --

I was just replying to Jim with the Swain County, NC information.

Diane

John E Edmonds (View posts)
Posted: 21 Jul 2005 3:27PM GMT
The WNC Metcalfs are all decendands of James born Farquar VA to Tellico then to what is now Madison County NC before 1800 His sons Jacob, Absalom, Joseph and Jacob
They are the fathers of most all the Metcalfs in the area of Buncombe and Madison and Swain and Rutherford Counties
in NC Ab married Nancy Maney of Creek Cherokee decent
her mother was Keziah Vann Maney daughter of John Vann the nations translator in Tenn I am decended from both Ab and Joe This family tracks back to England from Va to Wensleydale near York England they are an old Saxon family with roots back to King Alfred and Kenneth Mc Alpine
and the English branch has the history back to the early 800's and have a book available on the family The name means the man from Or who lives on the Middle Hill which was a ridge about 25 miles long They raised horses and tended the area as the Kings overseers after the Norman invasion They had 35 men at Runneymede against their cousin King John and 45 mounted archers at Angicourt with their cousin King Henry They were well educated men untill the can to the new world The grays the Scotts Greys rode at Waterloo were Metcalf horses

J Edmonds (View posts)
Posted: 21 Jul 2005 3:32PM GMT
Also Each brother had at least one son or grandson or great grandson named James Henry which can cause great confusion Our forefathers had little imagination in naming their children

Jim Metcalf (View posts)
Posted: 23 Jul 2005 3:26AM GMT
Thanks for the info

Posted: 11 Dec 2006 5:30AM GMT
This information is what I have been in search of for months. I am so excited I found your posting. Mary Margaret and James Henry Metcalf were my great-grandparents. Thank you for the information!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic