Search for content in message boards

Cedar Grove Cemetery in Chambersburg, PA.

Cedar Grove Cemetery in Chambersburg, PA.

Posted: 28 Aug 2008 4:56PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 28 Aug 2008 8:04PM GMT
I am coming to Chambersburg this weekend Aug 29, 2008. I will be concentrating my search in Cedar Grove Cemetary. Can someone give me directions or a street address?

Re: Cedar Grove Cemetery in Chambersburg, PA.

Posted: 28 Aug 2008 5:52PM GMT
Take Rt US 30 West (Lincoln Way W.) through Chambersburg.
It is one-way through town.

Cross the creek after passing through downtown.

After a short distance, turn right on Franklin Street.

Cross King Street. Look for the entrance on the right.

This is a large cemetery. You'll be looking all day for graves if you do not know the section. Stop off at the Historical Society on King Street. Look up the grave in the Pfluger cemetery books to get the section. The Coyle Public Library, just down from the the Historicial Society on King also has cemetery information. From there, head west on King, cross the creek, turn right onto Franklin at the top of the hill and the cemetery is on the right.

To get a map, use mapquest and enter as intersection "W. King St. & N. Franklin St." The oval you'll see to the upper right of the star is the center oval in the cemetery.

Posted: 28 Aug 2008 7:02PM GMT
I can't thank you enough! I have been doing chambersburg history now for over 8yrs. and this is my first trip- I only have Saturday to be there- so I don't want to waste any time- thank you so much. Do you think there is anything else I might need to know?

Posted: 29 Aug 2008 1:54PM GMT
Just remember to copy the page from the cemetery book with the plot plan! If you have not yet researched the famiy at the Historical Society, you might ask to see the family file for your surnames. Coyle Library also has family folders and the contents are not identical. Depending on time period, there is a card file at the historical society with marriage & death/burial information, a lot of it taken from period newspapers. It can save a lot of searching.

Posted: 19 May 2012 6:53PM GMT
This is a super late response -- address and a link to Google Map are available at http://www.chambersburgcemetery.com.

Posted: 2 Jul 2012 9:02PM GMT
Thank you for posting this website. Several of my husbands ancestors are buried in Cedar Grove, and the genealogy links listed will be very helpful for anyone researching this cemetery.

Posted: 6 Feb 2013 12:29AM GMT
The first burial @ Cedar Grove was in 1854 . . .

Posted: 4 Oct 2013 3:12PM GMT
Does the cemetery information include interment dates? I'm having a dickins of a time determining a date of death for a great grand-aunt whose headstone is in Cedar Grove, but there's no DOD. She and her husband evidently arranged to share a headstone; he died in 1907. However, her half of the headstone has no DOD, and she was last "seen" in the 1920 US Census, living with her daughter and son in law. To complicate things further, there is NO death record whatsoever in the typescript indices viewable at the PA archives. It's possible that she didn't die in PA, but given she was already in her 70s by that time...

Anyway--if the cemetery records actually have an interment date, that would solve everthing. If they just record plot number and "owner", it won't prove that she was actually buried there.

Being somewhat OCD about these things, I'd like to finish off her headstone with an actual date of death.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions