Search for content in message boards

stokely family

stokely family

Philip Sturm (View posts)
Posted: 2 May 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: stokely
I need information on John Stokely of Lewes in Sussex County, who married Naomi Little, his sister Lydia, who married Samuel Craig, and his sister Elizabeth, who married Jehu Conwell. Stokely left Delaware and removed to Fayette County, PA, then ca. 1790 to Wood County, (W)VA, where he served as first clerk of the county court, 1800-06. He later removed to Illinois. Thanks for any assistance.

Re: stokely family

Posted: 9 Jul 2001 7:09AM GMT
Classification: Biography
Surnames: Stokely, Gray, DeCamp, Finley
There is a digitized copy of a 2-page letter from John Stokely to George Washington in the latter's papers, begging Washington to open his vast holdings in Wood County to settlement. Have you seen it?
I had no information about John's marriage or his sisters' marriages, and was pleased to learn about them. Have you seen the biographical material his younger brother, Benjamin, compiled? There is also a lot of information on their eldest brother Thomas.
My 3rd ggrandfather, Nehemiah Stokely, was called a "near relative" of Thomas in his wife's [Elizabeth Mumpford's] pension application; Thomas and Nehemiah served together for a time in the 8th PA Line, and also lived together at Nehemiah's blockhouse on Little Sewickley Creek in Westmoreland County. Several sources called them brothers, but that's not the case. I'd be happy to exchange information with you, if you would like.
Pat

Posted: 9 Jul 2002 1:47AM GMT
Edited: 13 Aug 2004 1:15AM GMT
I am still constructing the Stokely/Stockley/Stoaklie jigsaw puzzle and am primarily interested in Thomas, but have some information on John -- although it is still rather confusing because there were more than one John Stokely/Stockley in Sussex Co. in that period. My notes have John and Naomi Little (Niomi in Vital Records, F. Edward Wright) married on Dec. 30, 1780 in Sussex Co., DE. However, I have two children born to "John Stokely" (no listing for wife), an "unnamed" (died at birth?) born on Sep 13, 1783 and Benjamin, born Oct 20, 1792 -- both in Sussex Co., DE. Also, John is listed in a couple of places (Vital Records, Probate Records) as a "carpenter" or "ship's carpenter". This would place him in DE later than your records indicate. There was also a John Stockley in Sussex, b. Mar 25, 1745 to Joshua and Jemima Stockley, and it is not always clear who is who. Your John had a brother Benjamin and that family tended to spell their name Stokely, hence I have assumed that your John was the father. By 1790, I do have Thomas in Washington Co.and Benjamin in Fayette Co., PA. By 1800, I have Lydia and Samuel Craig in Derry, Westmoreland, PA and Elizabeth and Jehu Conwell in Luzerne, Fayette, PA. That's about all I can offer at the moment; hope it helps -- feel free to contact me directly; would love to compare notes on this family. Thomas is my 4G Grandfather.

Posted: 9 Jul 2002 2:41AM GMT
I have not seen Benjamin's notes on Thomas and would love to get a copy. I'm trying to solve the puzzle of how most references place his birth in Edenton, Chowan, NC while he appears to have grown up in Sussex Co., DE. I am also interested in information on Thomas' wife, Elizabeth Montford/Mountford/Mumphford/Mumford (have seen all four spellings). I have her born in Sussex Co., DE on Mar 17, 1765; m. June 9, 1788 in Cool Springs & Lewes Presbyterian Church, Sussex, DE -- the Vital Records list the marriage as "Major Stokely and Betsey Mumford".

I was also interested to read about your relative, Nehemiah. I was wondering whether he may be the Nehemiah Stockley b. Nov. 18, 1753 in Sussex Co., DE (about the same age as Thomas); parents: Woodman and Comfort Stockley. Do you know if they are the same person? I'd be happy to exchange information on this family -- feel free to contact me directly.

Jim Kirby (View posts)
Posted: 9 Jul 2002 5:02PM GMT
Surnames: Stockley, Jarman, Clothier, Kirby, Waples
Stephen
John Stockley (son of Oliver Stockley and Margaret Prettyman) who married Mary Baynes, had children: Elizabeth Stockley (md, John/Jehu Conwell), Thomas Stockley (md. Elizabeth Mountford), Mary Stockley, John Stockley, Anna Stockley, Leydia Stockley and Benjamin Stockley/Stokely (md. Esther Alexander and Elizabeth (Stephenson) Sidel,. John Stockley, son of Oliver, as far as I can see never left Sussex Co., DE, was born, raised and died there, if he left he returned to have children there again, but I do believe he lived there all his life. After John died in April, 1771, his widow moved to Westmoreland Co., PA in the fall of 1775.

Posted: 10 Jul 2002 3:23AM GMT
Edited: 11 Jun 2003 10:41AM GMT
Elizabeth Stokely was the daughter of Yates Stokely, Sussex Co. DE. She married Jehu Conwell in Delaware and they went to Fayette Co., PA to Jehu's home. Source: Jordan and Hadden's "Genealogical and Personal History of Fayette and Green Counties Pennsylvania"

Jim Kirby (View posts)
Posted: 10 Jul 2002 2:24PM GMT
Surnames: Stockley, Jarman, Clothier, Waples, Kirby
The Elizabeth Stockley/Stokely that was the sister of the Thomas Stockley/Stokely who "entered the American Army in 1777 ... and returned in the fall of 1778" and who married Elizabeth Mountford were the siblings of a Benjamin Stockley/Stokely and the children of John Stockley and Mary Baynes/Baines by Benjamin's history. This Benjamin wrote quite a long history of himself and some on Elizabeth and Thomas. He wrote this history in June of 1843 and died in 1845. A copy of this family history is in "Stokely Stuff and Stock", Bulletin #3, pages 159-165.

Posted: 11 Jul 2002 1:08PM GMT
Thanks for the reply -- one question on your other posting: I'm not familiar with "Stokely Stuff and Stock". I have Benjamin's memoir, but would be interested in seeing what other documents are there. Is it paper or electronic, and how does one get access to it?

Regarding the John Stokely "problem": I currently have in my DB the same lineage that you do (Thomas -> John -> Oliver, Sr -> Woodman, etc.), but have serious doubts about its accuracy, in part because of the very facts that you stress in your posting. I assumed that John Stockley, son of Oliver, Sr, is the John Stokely, father of Thomas, for the following reasons: 1) his birth (11-13-1731) and death (April 1771) are quite close to those attributed to John Stokely (b. c1730, d. c1770), 2) his wife's name was Mary (probate records), and 3) his place of residence fits Benjamin's place of birth of "7 miles from [Lewes]". There is another version of his lineage that you have probably seen, that being that John's parents were Thomas and Rhoda Delastatias, but I have no hard facts on this lineage. Both versions, however, assume that Thomas was born in Sussex, Co. based the knowledge that his family clearly has strong ties to Sussex Co., he married Elizabeth Montford (also spelled Mountford, Mumphford, and Mumford) from Sussex Co., and the family lived there at the time of Benjamin's birth in 1766.

Here's the problem: All published records that I have encountered (DAR, Comp. of Amer. Gen., Gen. Records: Early NC Settlers, Eulogy for George Wilson (Thomas' grandson) in Annals of Iowa - Jan 1901, and others) list his place of birth as Edenton, NC (or simply NC). There is no question he has strong roots in Sussex Co. and lived there during his youth. But John Stockley, son of Oliver, shows up throughout the 1750's in Sussex Co. land and probate records -- as you say, he was born and died in Sussex Co. and there was limited opportunity for him to be elsewhere. It may be possible that he removed briefly to NC around 1754 and returned shortly after Thomas' birth (I haven't yet mapped out all the county records of his whereabouts to see whether this was possible) -- he had relatives in NC (notably, his father's 1st cousin, Joseph b. c1692, settled in the Elizabeth City area (30 mi. east of Edenton) in the early 1700's and had at least 3 children around John's age; and his Aunt Elizabeth on his father's side moved to New Hanover Co., NC -- but that was probably around 1760).

I haven't yet sorted all this out -- it is of course possible that the Edenton birthplace was an error by an early (19th century) researcher that has proliferated, but I doubt that. Anything that you (or others) have that might shed some light on this topic would be greatly appreciated!

phil sturm (View posts)
Posted: 16 Jul 2002 5:11PM GMT
Surnames: stokely
Pat-- I tried your direct e-mail and it didn't work. Two things. How can I get a copy of Benjamin Stokely biography in full. Also, do you have a transcription of the letter of John Stokely to George Washington. When I went to the website, I could only get the first page, as the second page would only print out partially. Thanks, PS

Posted: 31 Jul 2002 4:29PM GMT
Edited: 7 Oct 2002 2:10PM GMT
I am looking for any information on the Stokely Family
I am of African-American descent.

My Great Great grandfather was Robert Stokely.
My Great grandfather was Thomas. I believe he had 10 or more bothers and sisters. One of his siblings names was William Stokely, he was a minister in Tennessee ( I believe were Eastman Kodak is located. His wife's name was Zula. He was married to Minnie.
My Grandfather was Eugene and his sister's name was Roberta. He was married to Reba Booher of Johnson City, TN

I really don't know much about my family history and would love any information you would be willing to share.

thanks
per page

Find a board about a specific topic