Search for content in message boards

Green Acres golf course in Hartford

Green Acres golf course in Hartford

Posted: 27 Aug 2012 11:50PM GMT
Classification: Query
I have at least three people in my family who had worked at Green Acres, one of whom is very elusive. I wondered if anyone knows some of the history of this place, maybe who the owners have been. I doubt there would still be records there from over 100 years ago, but it's worth a shot. Thanks.

Re: Green Acres golf course in Hartford

Posted: 1 May 2013 11:28PM GMT
My family and I stayed at Green Acres for approx. 10 years in the 50's. I have been back once. Larry Poland was the owner back then. His granddaughter and her husband now live in the renovate house and, as of three or four years ago were renovating the lodge. I was impressed with the renovations. Some cabins have been restored as well.
Great memories.

Posted: 8 May 2013 1:38PM GMT
I wondered if the business was still operating; when I googled it it does show up, but with very limited information. If you lived there for ten years then there must be more to this place than I thought. I was thinking it was a golfing place, with a restaurant or something similar. Thanks for the reply. :-)
I'm wondering, if you were there in the '50's did you happen to know Jennie Brown? I think she would have been around 60 or 70 yrs old.

Posted: 8 May 2013 2:00PM GMT
Correction....my family and I vacationed at Green Acres for two weeks every year for ten or so years in the 50's. I was 8 - 14, or thereabouts, at the time. Yes, we enjoyed golf and staying in the cottages. It was a great family place. Jennie Brown does not strike a bell. The recent renovation on the main house and lodge is outstanding. Family members and close friends have been renovating various cottages, again a nice touch. It remains a great family environment, but only for the younger generation of the Poland Family.

Posted: 9 May 2013 2:14PM GMT
Thanks for clarifying. Are they renovating to open again, or already are open? I may have to find it just to see the area. I figured it was a longshot about Jennie, but worth a try. I think she worked in the kitchen. Thanks, again for the input. This is very interesting. :-)

Posted: 9 May 2013 4:44PM GMT
I believe they are renovating to simply restore the home and lodge back to the original condition. The family lives in the renovated home; friends and family are using the cottages as "getaway" accommodations, and I suspect the lodge may become a cultural center for the community. It is a nice setup for the descendents of the original owners. Four years ago five holes of the golf course were being maintained, again for family and friends. Not open for public use.

Posted: 5 May 2014 10:01PM GMT
Just saw your queries about Green Acres. Yes, it is still here in the continuing Poland family, with all its wonderful history, albeit a 'retired' Inn now. Feel free to contact me if you would like any information about it. As to Jennie Brown, she was the wonderful pastry cook throughout my childhood (and great friend to my grandmother), and still has much of her family living in the area, with whom we are in contact. Again, contact me for any info. The GA phone number is in the book under Lloyd and Ann Poland (my parents) as well as ourselves. My gmail is just my name, leslieboness Always happy to see Green Acres people and hear stories of the past.

Posted: 8 May 2014 11:18PM GMT
Wow, thanks. It would be great to connect with someone who knew her when she was still able to get around and talk more. By the time I came along she wasn't able to move or talk much. Her daughter Arlene (I think she said she also worked there for a time) is my Nana and I have met 2 of her siblings, though Aunt Dot has since died. I've also met Beulah, married to one of the brothers, but only a few times so you may know all these folks better than I do. Thanks for the contact info, I will be in touch soon!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions