Search for content in message boards

Hopital name please - Croydon

Hopital name please - Croydon

Posted: 12 Feb 2009 12:07AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 14 Feb 2009 10:54AM GMT
Would you be able to trace the name of a hospital in Lansdowne Road, Croyden, Surrey. This was just the address given in a 1881 census of a family member who was working there at the time.

Sue

Re: Hopital name please - Croydon

Posted: 13 Feb 2009 2:09PM GMT
Edited: 14 Feb 2009 10:54AM GMT
JIC no-one answers - contact Croydon Library or Records office and they will tell you

Posted: 16 Feb 2009 8:46PM GMT
Its seems as if there were no hospitals down this road. There was a Mayday hospital on London road. (the next street over) The nurses lived in and around this area and Lansdowne Road was known for many of them boarding in private homes. So this may of been sloved.

Thanks Sue

Posted: 16 Feb 2009 8:52PM GMT
I know Mayday pretty well - it is possible that an entrance/outbuilding was via/in Lansdowne Road...

Posted: 16 Feb 2009 9:01PM GMT
I wonder if they keep old records for the staff back in the 1881
Comfort Tew died young at the age of 28 in 1887, and I always wondered what happened. Did she contract something from a sick person she was looking after? Nothing on her death cert to say so. But it has puzzled me for a while.

Sue

Posted: 16 Feb 2009 10:09PM GMT
Classification: Lookup
Mayday was a new name; "Croydon's first Union Infirmary was in the old workhouse at Duppas Hill, where it remained after the Workhouse opened in 1866. A new Infirmary opened in Mayday Road in 1885. It was renamed Mayday Hospital in the 1920s......."

have a look at

http://www.croydononline.org/history/genealogy/poor.asp

where, there is also links to old records etc

Posted: 16 Feb 2009 10:13PM GMT
Classification: Lookup
+

"Mayday Hospitals' roots are as the infirmary of Croydon Workhouse, opened in 1885 in Mayday Road to replace the previous infirmary in Duppas Hill, the workhouse itself having moved to Thornton Heath in 1866. The Croydon Union Infirmary was renamed Mayday Road Hospital in 1923, and was taken over by Croydon Corporation in 1930, and the National Health Service in 1948"

+
NA has:

Mayday Hospital, Croydon: chapel baptism registers 1867-2002 (A839)

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/accessions/2006/06digests...

+
MAYDAY HOSPITAL, FORMERLY CROYDON UNION INFIRMARY, STAFF RULES AND DUTIES, 1890-1938, AND DIETARY TABLES, 1896-1912 [1890-1939] - ref. 2378

http://www.a2a.org.uk/about/contributors/176-list.asp

Posted: 17 Feb 2009 12:57AM GMT
Thanks for the great information. Comfort worked there in the 1881 census, but did not state what the hospital was called. Seems as if it had a bit of a stigma attached to it. Will have to look more into it and see what I can come up with.

Sue

Posted: 17 Feb 2009 7:24AM GMT
You are most welcome - many Union Workhouses records are still aroound so you are in with a very good chance. Regretfully, all workhouses were frowned apon - bit of a sin back then to be dirt poor - very hard life! Be interested to see what you can get hold of

Good luck

Ell
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions