Search for content in message boards

COUSHATTA

COUSHATTA

Posted: 20 Oct 2010 4:32AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: EDMON, EMERSON, VEATCH, WREN
I have family born & lived in Coushatta, Red River Parish but have recently found several entries in the LDS Family Search site that list some persons born or married in Coushatta, , Natchitoches, Louisiana. I had found a reference to Coushatta Chute, as a part of Natchitoches Parish. Would that be the same as the town of Coushatta in Red River Parish?
Some of the family names are James Richard & Leona (Caston) Edmon, John Wesley Emerson's in-laws, Thomas Anderson Veatch & Margaret Atwood (Wren) Veatch.
Could someone please clarify this puzzle for me?
Thanks, c

Re: COUSHATTA

Posted: 19 Nov 2010 3:55AM GMT
Hello! If you are related to the Wrens then you are related to me somehow. I found a second cousin right here in Dallas when I was doing genealogy. She is also related to the Wrens from there and she lived in Coushatta for a while. My great grandparents lived in Coushatta. If the family are Wrens and the town is Coushatta then it is definitely Red River Parish. I dont know what you may have found with a listing of Natchidoches but I am thinking there may have been some confusion on a cesus card or something. I do know that several of my own relatives lived in Coushatta but were in Natchidoches for a while due to enlisting in the Civil War.
My email is ishkamin@hotmail.com
Oh also in Coushatta there is a cemetery called the Wren Cemetery. Actually I think it is in Martin which is a little community outside of Coushatta.

Melissa Price

Posted: 27 Dec 2010 7:18AM GMT
Hi -
Coushatta was Coushatta Chute; it started as a point on the river for steamboats to refuel, etc. It was part of Natchitoches Parish prior to 1871. Red River Parish was formed from parts of Bienville, Bossier, Caddo, DeSoto and Natchitoches Parishes in 1871. Coushatta is the parish seat.

If you're related to the Wrens, Veatches, etc--check out this site:
http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/s/t/r/Diane-L-Str...

Happy hunting.

Posted: 27 Dec 2010 4:14PM GMT
Surnames: Emerson, Veatch, YOUNG
Thank you very much for the info. I had thought that might be the case but being so curious, I needed clarification.
I am not directly related but my brother, James Ellis YOUNG married Mary Joy Emerson dau of John Wesley & Margarette "Betty" (Veatch) Emerson.
Also, thanks for the link to your site. I think I may have connected with you previously.
Many thanks for your help. c

Posted: 6 May 2014 1:25AM GMT
Surnames: Veatch, Emerson
Thomas A. Veatch and Margaret Veatch were my grandparents through my father, Thomas B. Veatch. There is some confusion about Grandpa's middle name. Some sources list it as Alexander instead of Anderson. I've even seen it listed as Alva (same as T.A. Edison's middle name). There are conflicting remembrances on that subject among the few remaining descendants who have first hand memories. He was orphaned shortly after or during the Civil War (parents John and Jane Veatch in Arkansas) and was raised by the Wordlaw's in Fairview Alpha - a small unincorporated community off Highway 71 between Coushatta and Natchitoches. He died in 1951 and is buried in Zion Cemetery in Fairview Alpha.

Another message in this thread mentioned a "Wren Cemetery" in Martin. I suspect that might be the Holley Springs Cemetery in Martin where my parents are buried.

You mentioned John and Betty Emerson. Betty was my aunt, my father's oldest sister, so your brother and I are related by marriage.

I was born and raised in the Coushatta area, graduated from Coushatta High School in 1960 and immediately joined the Marines spending very little time in Coushatta since then except for occasional visits and reunions. Currently have two older brothers, Don W. and Dean R. Veatch in Shreveport.

Tommy Duane Veatch
Wichita, Kansas
per page

Find a board about a specific topic