Search for content in message boards

1851 Census Where born help Bledon

1851 Census Where born help Bledon

Posted: 9 Dec 2013 1:37AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Brunt, Powis , Archer
I am trying to locate a place in Wales. My 3rd-GG-Father, James Brunt, The 1851 Census states he was born in Radnor, Bledon (per ancestry.com log).

I have been unable to identify a place for a Bledon. I have reason to believe he may have been from the eastern side of Radnor near Herefordshire, considering his wife and her mother are from around the Radnor/Herefordshire/Shropshire/Worchestershire area.

His daughter Sarah Brunt married Richard Archer (born 1827 Leominster, Richard Archer's father..Richard Archer born Bromfield). Richard & Sarah emmigrated to Texas.

I have been unable to locate a community by the name of Bledon. I have not found a map with the name of Bledon on it.

James Brunt, I can account for in 1841-51-61-71 Census. He died 19 June 1874, buried Birtley, Prmitive Methodist Chapel, Herefordshire.

He married an Elizabeth Powis, (born abt 1799 ,Stoke St. Milborough). I believe she died between 1871-81.

Elizabeth Powis mother is a Mary Powis (born abt 1770 Bucknell.) I believe Mary Powis died between 1851-61.

Any Help is appreciated.

http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=uki1851wales&a...

Attachments:

Re: 1851 Census Where born help Bledon

Posted: 9 Dec 2013 5:21AM GMT
Hi,

I think the place you're looking for is most likely the present day parish of Bleddfa, situated on the A488, six and a half miles wsw of Knighton on the Welsh/English border.

This link takes you to the GENUKI page describing the parish.
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/RAD/Bleddfa/index.html

Regards
Linda

Posted: 10 Dec 2013 5:40PM GMT
Baptism at Llanfihangel Rhydithon parish church:
6th October 1793, James Brunt, son of James Brunt and his wife.

Llanfihangel Rhydithon and Bleddfa are neighbouring parishes on the Llandrindod to Knighton road.

Posted: 18 Dec 2013 3:09PM GMT
Thank you very much. Bleddfa is what I have suspected. Between the writings on the census page, the accent of the the person interview, the hearing of the scribe, the writing of the scribe & the reading years later, really no telling what something should have been. Our Texas census pages can be a "little" difficult to read.

I appreciate the reply.

Thank you very much.
Clay

Posted: 18 Dec 2013 3:16PM GMT
Thank you very much. Bleddfa has been my suspicion. I appreciate the reply.
Thank you
Clay
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions