Search for content in message boards

Which Registration district for Ferndale

Which Registration district for Ferndale

Posted: 15 Dec 2013 4:07PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 15 Dec 2013 4:08PM GMT
Surnames: DAVIES
Help please!!!!
I'm looking for a registration of a birth of Margaret Ann Davies in 1885 born in Ferndale, Wales but no idea in which registration district I would find it.

Regards...Teresa

Re: Which Registration district for Ferndale

Posted: 15 Dec 2013 4:44PM GMT
I did a quick Google search and found Ferndale is in Glamorgan.

Happy Hunting

Posted: 15 Dec 2013 5:03PM GMT
OK thanks. BUT which Registration District in Glamorgan is Ferndale.

Posted: 15 Dec 2013 5:12PM GMT
The registration district for Ferndale is Pontypridd, and the sub-registration district is Ystradyfodwg.

Posted: 15 Dec 2013 5:20PM GMT
Pontypridd was Created in 1894 according to Glamorgan Reg. Districts. I'm looking for a birth in 1885. I can't see any mention of Ferndale. :(

Posted: 15 Dec 2013 9:24PM GMT
The village of Ferndale was partly in two parishes, Ystradyfodwg and Llanwonno, in the Rhondda.

It doesn't matter which parish your ancestors lived in as, until 17 Jul 1863 both parishes were in the Merthyr Tydfil Registration District and, on 18 Jul 1863, both were transferred to the new Pontypridd Registration District.

Posted: 15 Dec 2013 10:45PM GMT
Surnames: Davies
Thank you so much for the explanation re Ferndale. Im researching for my husbands friend and I'm not at all familiar with the Welsh Registration Districts. Most of the England ones seem to include villages so I was expecting to see some mention of Ferndale. Now to see if I can find her birth Registration.

Many thanks once again...Teresa

Posted: 16 Dec 2013 9:39AM GMT
Not quite that simple, because...

1) Parents have 6 weeks in which to register a birth, so the birth registration of someone who was born from mid November onwards of one year, might be listed in the birth registrations for the first quarter of the following year.

There were, for that name in the Glamorganshire, Pontypridd Registration District, 4 registrations in 1895, and 6 in 1896, but you're lucky, all of the 1886 registrations are too late to correspond to a birth in 1895.

So there are 4 possible registrations, all in 1895, and the registration dates of all 4 of those correspond to births which all took place in 1895 and not in 1894.

However, if only one of the 4 corresponds to an address in Ferndale, the registration authorities should be able to eliminate the incorrect registrations.

http://www.rctcbc.gov.uk/en/leisurelibrariesculture/localhis...

http://www.rctcbc.gov.uk/en/communityliving/registrars/copy-...

Posted: 16 Dec 2013 4:26PM GMT
I do at least have her DOB via research done in 2010 by cousin of the person I'm doing the family research for, through http://www.hscic.gov.uk/register-service which also revealed for 1939 (National Registration?) her husband's DOB and some of their children's DOB that had died. Others living at the same address (in Rhondda) but no details revealed as they were still alive. So I will order the one which I think is her Birth Registration quoting DOB and see what happens. At least if it's incorrect I won't get charged the full amount.

Regards...Teresa
per page

Find a board about a specific topic