Search for content in message boards

Cherry Street, Lower East Side

Cherry Street, Lower East Side

Posted: 6 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 24 Jun 2001 12:36PM GMT
My family settled in the Lower East Side at 219 Cherry Street in the mid 1920's. I have traced them in the NYC Directories and Census. Looking for other WICKS family members. Very interested in getting the history of cherry street from 1775 to 1890's along with maps of the street with as much detail as possible.

Wicks family from NY

Kathy Brown (View posts)
Posted: 10 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Wicks, Ruppert, Gilbrough, Fischer
My father, Robert A. Wicks b. 1921, grew up in New York City and lived in different areas of the city. His parents were Robert "Bobby" D. Wicks and Louisa "Louise" Ruppert. His father had several brothers, one named Howard. If any of these Wicks names sound familiar - email me!

Correction of Surname previously posted

Kathy Brown (View posts)
Posted: 28 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Wicks, Billbrough, Ruppert, Fischer
Just to correct earlier posting. Should have posted Surname as "Billbrough" not Gilbrough of New York City.

Re: Cherry Street, Lower East Side

Karl H. Opper (View posts)
Posted: 13 Sep 2001 7:43AM GMT
Hello Thomas,
I´m looking for descendants of a relative of mine who might be related to the Oppers you are looking for. His dates: Georg Adolph Opper, b. 16 Oct.1850 in Daubringen/Hesse; he arrived in New York in Sept.1881 together with his wife Katharina and their infant daughter by the same name. On his arrival in the USA he was registered as Adolph Opper. I traced a Adolph Opper,laboror, on the N.Y. directory of 1900. I would be glad to hear from you.
Karl H.(=Heinz) Opper

Posted: 14 May 2003 5:14PM GMT
Surnames: Carroll
My family was burned out of their home at 322 Cherry St, lost everything. I believe this would have been late 20's .I have a news clipping, but no date or name of paper. If you have access to directories would you be able to tell me what paper was around then and how I may get a copy? A police officer rescued them so what prec. would that have been? Family name was Carroll. What ED for census lookup?

Posted: 29 May 2003 12:22PM GMT
Surnames: Carroll and Sullivan
Is there any way you would be able to help track down John Carroll married to Mary Sullivan. Live at 477 Pearl Street in April of 1923. Both parents born Ireland. Children born at time were Thomas and Bridget, later on a Charles and Jack, no dates. Am sure they stayed on Lowere East side for many years. Any help appreciated. Thanks

Virginia Rodriguez (View posts)
Posted: 30 Mar 2004 5:26PM GMT
Surnames: Wicks
Am looking for help with my ggrandfater,Thomas Wicks Jr. He was born in Brooklyn NYabout 1850/54, his parents were
born in England, and I do not know his mothers name. Thomas married Mary Stephens and they had a daughter, Augusta Amelia born February 1882. Thomas was a musican who died in 1883 at the age of 32. that's all I know and am hoping someone can fill me in on his family.
Thank you,

Tom Wicks (View posts)
Posted: 30 Mar 2004 6:48PM GMT

My family was located on Cherry St.,NYC as early as 1829. My Thomas m.Elizabeth, from England. Occupation: mason (had his own business). His nephew Thomas, my gt.grandfather b.1839 England, came to NYC ca1860, m=2 Rosannah CASSIDY 1868. Thomas and Rose lived in Brooklyn (he d.1889).

Here is a strange thing. There is mention of a Thomas in the family bible. And a women in RiverVale,NJ said she had an uncle Thomas, but it may not have been your Thomas.

Your posting is very interesting. My anceastry can be found on <> it has been there for six or eight years.
This is a free LDS sight and is very a good source of info.

Please be in touch, with any other information you may have. I do have a lot of WICKS family tree info on other WICKS families. Thanks- Tom Wicks

Posted: 28 May 2009 4:31PM GMT
Surnames: JOSEPH
I am also interested in Cherry Street, circa 1892 - 1900. My relatives there were Jewish immigrants from Lithuania, the JOSEPHs.

I am especially curious to know if anyone has any knowledge of Cherry Street's history at this time, what kinds of buildings were there and if there were any non-residential buildings located at 294 or 296 Cherry Street.

Thanks for any help.

Posted: 30 May 2009 4:47PM GMT
Cherry Street, New York

My uncle Thomas WICKS lived at 219 Cherry Street from the late 1820’s. I have a copy of a letter addressed to him at 219 Cherry Street from England dated 1839.

The men in the family were all masons. He had his business located in that area. I have been able to trace my family in the New York City Directories. I recommend that you follow this course of research. It is a wealth of knowledge and tracks people before the telephones were installed in the city.

My gt. grandfather also Thomas WICKS (1839-1889) came to this country in 1860. He lived first on Rutgers street just around the corner. He too was a mason so he must have joined his uncles business.

George Washington lived on Cherry Street for a while after the Revolutionary War. I think it was a very important place back then.

Cherry Street has a rich history which you can find on the internet through any number of Google searches.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic