Search for content in message boards

Levi Hinkle - Cape Girardeau, Missouri

Levi Hinkle - Cape Girardeau, Missouri

Posted: 23 Sep 2004 6:49PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 24 Sep 2004 11:21AM GMT
Surnames: Hinkle, Dempsey, Clodfelter, Henkle, Bryan
I'm looking for ancestors of Levi Hinkle, b 1810-15, died in Cape Girardeau Co, MO on 27 Oct 1870; he was married to Mathilda Dempsey in 1834. His parents could be Peter Hinkle Jr and Amelia Clodfelter, OR Barbara Hinkle, daughter of Benjamin Henkle and Susannah Bryan, and unknow father. Would appreciate any help in finding the right parents.

Re: Levi Hinkle - Cape Girardeau, Missouri

Posted: 24 Sep 2004 12:21AM GMT
Edited: 24 Sep 2004 11:24AM GMT
Surnames: Hinkle
Your Levi and Matilda Hinkle are buried in the Schoults Cemetery.Levi Hinkle..October 27, 1870..58 yr, 11 mon., 12 days....Matilda Hinkle Jan. 24, 1815- June 20, 1890....the Peter Hinkles are buried in the Sides Cemetery. Schoults is on the farm of Ben Hemmem two miles south east of Appleton. Appleton is in Cape Girardeau county to the north. You can join the Hinkle Family Ass. and find out which branch your family is in, Robert Moore, Po Box 1399, New Market, VA 22844-1399 or Moorer @ shentel.net. Nedra Brill (brillnd@pacifier.com) is the Historian for the Henkel/Hinkle Ass. and you can buy the bulletins to have up dates on the Hinkles...Faith Ann

Sondra Cook (View posts)
Posted: 24 Sep 2004 2:00AM GMT
Edited: 24 Sep 2004 11:25AM GMT
Surnames: HINKLE
Thanks for your quick reply. He is my Gr Gr Gr Grandfather and I'm pretty sure I've had him attached to the wrong line of Hinkles, so I will check out the Hinkle assoc. Thanks again.

Posted: 24 Sep 2004 2:14AM GMT
Edited: 24 Sep 2004 11:26AM GMT
Levi might be of Casper Hinkle..my Isaac was his brother..I will look into Casper's line more closely. Peter was Casper's cousin and there are lots of Hinkle cousins in Cape. Another line is in Wayne County, Missouri and I can check those also. Good luck and let me know what you find...Faith Ann

Sondra Cook (View posts)
Posted: 24 Sep 2004 4:17PM GMT
Edited: 24 Sep 2004 10:10PM GMT
For years I had Levi as the son of Peter Jr and Amelia, but recent research doesn't show they had a son by that name. The only Levi from that era that I can find was the son of single mother Barbara Hinkle (1790-1820), daughter of Benjamin who was a brother of Peter Sr. (both sons of Jacob Anthony). I appreciate any help you can provide.

I grew up in Cape and regret not paying more attention to family history.
Sondra

Posted: 25 Sep 2004 12:48AM GMT
Edited: 6 Oct 2004 7:28PM GMT
Surnames: Hinkle
Sondra, I lived in Sikeston until the third and I did not know about the Hinkles until the 1980's. I too did not pay attention. On Genforum Hinkle message #513 it stated that Charles Hinkle is the father of Levi and Matilda Dempsey Hinkle..they were married in Cape Girardeau...you should be able to find the marriage record...we are cousins !!! Faith Ann

Posted: 25 Sep 2004 5:52PM GMT
Faith, why don't we continue our discussion in depth by email, mine is slc422@hotmail.com.

Posted: 14 Aug 2009 9:28PM GMT
Surnames: Hinkle, Sahan
I noticed a posting you made on ancestory.com. concerning Amelia Clodfelter and Peter and Levi Hinkle. Did you find the information you were looking for? You have probably completed this line of research, since it has been five years since your posting. I have come across Amelia Clodfelter and Peter Hinkle at some point and I think they are on my geneology charts, but I have not looked at those for some time. Levi Hinkle is also familiar, but I don't believe he is a direct ancestor of mine. I probably encountered them in the Hinkle Geneology published in the 1920's. I am also looking for information: on Lewis Hinkle and Lucinda Sahan, parents of Albert Lafafayette Hinkle, born circa 1850 in Cape Girardeau, Missouri, who died in Fremont County, Iowa. If you come across any potentially useful resources or knowledgeable researchers, please send me a message. Or even if you think there is a family relationship. Thanks, and good luck with your research. Steven Younts - scyounts@gmail.com.

Posted: 14 Aug 2009 9:36PM GMT
My earlier reply was made before I had realized that there was a thread to follow. I see you probably have all your info...thanks

Posted: 17 Aug 2009 9:55AM GMT
Surnames: HINKLE, HENCKEL, FULBRIGHT, PLUNKETT, SAYHAN
Lewis Hinkle was born 5 February 1814, and died 18 June 1896. [His 1st wife] Margaret, wife of Lewis Hinkle, was born 8 January 1816 and died 19 July 1856. They are buried in Sides Cemetery, Cape Girardeau County, Missouri. Margaret was the daughter of Jacob and Barbara (Plunkett) Fulbright. Lewis married Margaret Fulbright on 21 April 1839 in Cape Girardeau County, Missouri. He married (2) to Lucinda Sayhan. The date of birth for Albert Lafayette Hinkle in the 1900 census is obviously off by 10 years since his parents married after Margaret's death. Lewis is person #6639 on page 932 of The Henckel Genealogy (1964). Albert Lafayette Hinkle is #66399 on page 965. This book is available online at Heritage Quest through your local library. Lewis was a great great grandson of the Rev. Anthony Jacob Henckel. Nedra
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions