Search for content in message boards

Linden Avenue M.E. Church, Greenville, Jersey City, Cemetery

Linden Avenue M.E. Church, Greenville, Jersey City, Cemetery

Posted: 16 Feb 2013 4:31AM GMT
Classification: Cemetery
Surnames: McIntyre, Henemier
Need help please finding out what happened to this cemetery. The M.E. Church was built in 1888 and later became the Mt. Carmel Baptist Church which also seems to no longer exist at that locaton. I have an excerpt from an old article that mentions that the burial ground was founded in 1845 and contains about 250 graves. I also have another old article dated from 1898 that Louis McIntyre was buried there in the family plot. Other family members buried there would have been the Henemiers. The Church is on the corner of Linden and Ocean Avenues, but in looking at satellite photography of that location, it doesn't appear that a cemetery is still there. Any information would be sincerely appreciated.

Re: Linden Avenue M.E. Church, Greenville, Jersey City, Cemetery

Posted: 21 Feb 2013 6:21AM GMT
Classification: Query
The attached article from genealogybank reports that in 1903, the Methodist Cemetery was in a neglected state. The location seems to have been on Linden between Ocean and Old Bergen Road. Hope this helps.

Robin
Attachments:

Posted: 21 Feb 2013 7:39AM GMT
This 1898 Sanborn map shows the location of the cemetery.
http://gisserver.princeton.edu:81/navigatorMapViewer.htm?map...

If you look at the area today, it appears to be a parking lot or at least an abandoned lot. try a google map search of 135 Linden Ave.

Posted: 21 Feb 2013 4:07PM GMT
Robin, Thank you so much for the terrific article and map. This was extremely helpful in that I hadn't realized that the Chuch had been moved from a former location to its location on the corner of Linden & Ocean. My great grandmother lived close by and was very active in that church. Because of that, I was always puzzled as to why she was buried at the New York Bay Cememtery in Jersey City (in 1925) and not at the Church's cemetery. This article from 1903 explains a lot. Thanks, too, for the map. I was able to look at the area indicated on the old map with satellite photography and the imprint of the lot is clearly there but sadly it's now a parking lot. Should you happen to come across any other articles on what happened to the remains of those interred there, I'd be most grateful as I'm still looking for her parents' gravesites and thought them to be there. (FYI, Regarding a grand uncle, in one article that I have it says that "he was buried behind Bamber Hall" and that's exactly the name of the old church building shown in pink on the old map.) I can't thank you enough for your help. Best wishes, Susie

Posted: 23 Feb 2013 5:49AM GMT
Edited: 23 Feb 2013 5:54AM GMT
Susie - I was able to find one more article about the cemetery. It's from May 16 1904 and includes a photo. I was amazed to see monuments; from the other article I was expecting a few dilapidated headstones.

The Jersey Journal on genealogybank is only available up to 1922. The last mention of the church is Dec 1922 - a Christmas pageant. I haven't found any mention of what happened to the graves.

I also saw a blurb on another website that claims the Mt Carmel Baptist Church took over the church site on Ocean and Linden in 1969.

There are some early 1900 google books that mention the Linden ME Church in reports from the Newark Conference of the Methodist Church but no mention of the cemetery that I could see.

You might want to contact the NJ Room at the Jersey City Public Library to see if they have anything that can help. And consider posting a query in the Hudson County NJ forum - someone monitoring it may have more info for you.

I'd love to hear what eventually happened to those graves if you ever find out.

Happy Hunting,
Robin
Attachments:

Posted: 23 Feb 2013 8:57AM GMT
It's your lucky day ;) - maybe. Found this post on the Hudson boards that says the graves were transcribed by the Gen Soc of NJ in 1922.

http://boards.ancestry.com/thread.aspx?mv=tree&m=4184&am...

You'll have to contact GSNJ for info on the transcriptions.

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~njgsnj/cemetery.html
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions