Search for content in message boards

Doubled Entries

Doubled Entries

Posted: 31 Jan 2013 12:16AM GMT
Classification: Query
Somehow, my tree is showing the same entry twice quite often. I have went through and merged as much as possible, but my great grandmother still has the portrait of the same man stemming from her twice, and so forth for about 4 generations. It's the same entry showing up multiple times.

Any clues on where the issue is?

Re: Doubled Entries

Posted: 3 Feb 2013 2:19PM GMT
Surnames: Denton
I have the same problem. One of my ancestors is now showing all the same children twice and some of them are showing the same children twice.

I had this problem once before and fixed it by deleting people until the problem went away. The trouble now is that the person I think is the problem is right in the middle of my tree and I hate to think what would happen if I delete him.

I think the problem happening when I was adding census data for one of his sisters and his name came up in the additional people list - but it didn't give me an option to say it wasn't a new person or to select an existing person.

Posted: 3 Feb 2013 3:58PM GMT
Well I've managed to solve my problem.

The male parent had 2 spouses - both with children. While adding census data to one of the children from the 2nd wife it managed to add a link from one of the children of the 1st wife to the 2nd wife. So this child appeared to have sprung from both wives! I deleted the child and that fixed the tree.

Fortunately the problem child has no descendants in the tree at the moment so I could do the deletion with minimal impact.

Posted: 3 Feb 2013 5:45PM GMT
It doesn't sound like you're using AFT, but it's fairly easy to check for duplicates and merge your data with AFT.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions