Search for content in message boards

help moving to a Mac

help moving to a Mac

Posted: 17 Feb 2012 3:26PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 17 Feb 2012 3:27PM GMT
I am not an active genealogist, but I do have all of my data in The Master Genealogist v5 (I think it is v5 Gold). I moved away from Windows to a Mac platform years ago, and have not really had access to my data since then. I have a LOT of data from years past, when I was very active.

Can any of you comment on Mac software that can take the data in TMG 5 and import it with minimal (hopefully NO) data fields loss?

Thanks everyone!
Dave

Re: help moving to a Mac

Posted: 17 Feb 2012 5:28PM GMT
Sad to say but there ain't no such animal.

However, you might, through a series of steps be able to accomplish it.

FTM has both a windows version and a Mac version.
FTM 2012 will also import TMG.

So, the process would be:
1) upgrade to TMG 8.0
2) import the TMG 8 info into FTM2012 (windows version)
3) inport FTM2012 (windows) into FTM (Mac)

That isn't inexpensive (cost of TMG upgrade+cost of FTM(Windows)+cost of FTM(Mac), but it could be done.

Others may know a simpler way.

Andy Hatchett
FHISO.org

Posted: 18 Feb 2012 8:34PM GMT
Use parallels or similar program on your Mac. I used to run FTM on Virtual PC on my PowerMac.

Regards,

Posted: 20 Feb 2012 3:06PM GMT
Edited: 20 Feb 2012 3:10PM GMT
AGHatchett3rd,

Would this be better than GEDCOM? Would this bring over 100% of the data while GEDCOM would lose some of it?

Is there any way to find an individual or company whom I could hire to do all of this data transfer for me, rather than buying 4 software packages and tossing 3 away?

Posted: 20 Feb 2012 3:56PM GMT
Edited: 20 Feb 2012 4:00PM GMT
David,

I know of absolutely nno program or service that will transfer 100% of data from one program to another.

That said.. there is a way to lessen the cost.

1). Download the free 30 trial version of TMG 8 and use that to get your data from TMG 5 to TMG 8
2). Find someone (perhaps a volunteer from this board) who will transfer your TMG 8 data to FTM2012
3). Find someone (perhaps the same person) who would transfer that FTM2012 data to the latest Mac version of 2012.

Something else just occurred to me... you might find someone willing to do all this on the TMG users Mailing list. I know there are several people on that list run Macs.

Andy Hatchett
One Community - One Standard!
www.fhiso.org

Posted: 21 Feb 2012 6:07AM GMT
That's great Andy. You've been very helpful!

I did some research, and it looks like I shouldn't have any data loss from FTM 2012 to FTM 2. What types of data loss has anyone seen going from TMG 8 to FTM 2012? Can anyone speak to that?

Thanks all!
Dave

Posted: 21 Feb 2012 5:04PM GMT
It all depends on exactly how stuff was entered into TMG and just what bells and whistles you used.

As you know, TMG's witness feature (one of its most powerful features) doesn't transfer by GEDCOM and I'm not really sure how direct imports of witnesses works into other programs.

I'd suggest trying a small dataset first using various options to see which gives you the best transfer before transferring your whole file. It will save you time in the long run. And as I've said, the people on the TMG mailing list can probably help with suggestions.

Andy Hatchett
One Community - One Standard!
www.fhiso.org

Posted: 24 Feb 2012 6:25AM GMT
Is there anyone out there running FTM 2012 that would mind converting my TMG 8 file for me? My data files are fairly small. I'd like to move my TMG data over to FTM 2 for the Mac...any help would be greatly appreciated!

Posted: 27 Feb 2012 12:59AM GMT
Send me the files, I can see what I can do. Addy: jaclouse at hotmail dot com.

Regards,

Posted: 13 Mar 2012 12:26AM GMT
Many TMG v7 users are running TMG on a Mac. See this link for tips:

http://www.whollygenes.com/forums201/index.php?showtopic=130...

Ask on the WG forum about running v8 on a Mac. I would not expect a problem.

You can also get help on the forum for bringing your existing TMG data into the new version.

Virginia
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions