Search for content in message boards

Dupleasis/Duplessis

Dupleasis/Duplessis

Posted: 1 Dec 2012 7:20AM GMT
Classification: Query
Im looking for answers.... I'm living in California with the last name Dupleasis, which by doing research I'm 99 percent sure that I have been spelling my last name wrong. If anybody has any info on my family, that is from New Orleans I would greatly apreciate it. My ggg grandfather is Ulysses duplessis, gg is Urbin or Urban duplessis, g is Morris or Adam Duplessis.
My email is
Dupleasis@msn.com

Re: Dupleasis/Duplessis

Posted: 4 Dec 2012 10:08PM GMT
I have information on several Duplessis' who were from Plaquemines Parish, but not any of the names you mentioned. It is possible that they moved to New Orleans.
Name spellings in Louisiana went through several changes depending on the time period and whether it was under French or Spanish rule.
Do you have any original documents with the name?

Posted: 4 Dec 2012 10:54PM GMT
The only document I have with duplessis is my uncles birth certificate. My grandmas side is Dinet. Gg is Wilfred Dinet my grandmother is Hilda Dinet(Dupleasis).Thankyou for your response, I hope you can help.

Posted: 4 Dec 2012 11:25PM GMT

Social Security Death Record
Morris Duplessis
SSN:436-03-0554
Last Residence:
70116 New Orleans, Orleans, Louisiana, United States of America
Born:15 Sep 1896
Died:Feb 1967
State (Year) SSN issued:Louisiana (Before 1951)
Is this your grandfather?

Posted: 4 Dec 2012 11:38PM GMT
There are lots of records for a Ulysses Duplessis & Dupleasis Plaquemines Parish. Are you a member of Ancestry.com? If you use the search function you will see them. I did find death records for Hilda Dupleasis in Nevada. Without knowing the birth/death dates, I can't be sure if they are the people that they are your ancestors.

Posted: 5 Dec 2012 12:11AM GMT
Yes that is my family. I knew my grandmother very well. I'm trying to trace back to find my family, and confirm my last name. I want to know if I have any living relatives from the Dupleasis,duplessis side in New Orleans. I have family in California , but the family history has always been a mystery. I was always told we were Cajun, not sure if that's true. We could be creole, not sure. My family moved from plaqumines when hurricane Betsy hit. I was told all pictures and documents were lost.

Posted: 5 Dec 2012 12:13AM GMT
I will be going to New Orleans in January so I'm trying to get as much info as possible. Thankyou.

Posted: 5 Dec 2012 12:29AM GMT
Have you posted a message on the Orleans Parish board too?
I did notice on some census' the family is listed as Black and on one it said Mulatto.
People changed the spellings of their last names for various reasons...even siblings changed the spelling, so some brothers and sisters had different spellings.
A lot depended on the census takers too...some were horrible spellers and often, a long time ago, people were illiterate and really didn't know how to spell their names.
If you have time during your visit to New Orleans, try the main library or go to the website www.nutrias.org. It has a lot of information...look under Archives/Special Collections. Good luck!

Posted: 5 Dec 2012 12:39AM GMT
Okay. Thankyou for the info. I'm gonna keep doing research and I will go to the library,and that website.
Thanks again.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic