Search for content in message boards

How to Create a Family Tree

How to Create a Family Tree

Posted: 31 Jan 2013 6:32PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi,

I am new to Ancestry.com and have lots to learn.
In order to create a family tree does one need to buy "Family Tree Maker" to create the tree and then upload it to Ancestry.com or can the tree be created in Ancestry.com directly?
Secondly I see a few public family trees that have members of my family. I don't personaly know the author. Can I use that tree as a starting point and somehow build upon it and save it with my own family name?

Thanks,
Mark

Re: How to Create a Family Tree

Posted: 31 Jan 2013 6:38PM GMT
Sorry, we support the Ancestry Family Tree program here, not Ancestry.com or Family Tree Maker.

Posted: 31 Jan 2013 7:08PM GMT
Could you explain a little more. I thought Ancestry. Com owns Family Tree Maker?

What about my second question regarding adding onto an existing family tree?

Thanks,

Posted: 31 Jan 2013 7:30PM GMT
Edited: 31 Jan 2013 7:33PM GMT
Ancestry.com is a website and provides online Member Trees.

Family Tree Maker is a stand alone genealogy program that runs on a computer that is owned by Ancestry and syncs with Member Trees on Ancestry.com

Ancestry Family Tree is an older software program Ancestry used to provide but no longer sells or distributes. It was replaced by Family Tree maker.

As to looking at/copying from other family trees... DON'T!
Do your own research from scratch- that is the only way you can be sure it is as correct as you can make it.

Looking at family trees is *NOT* doing genealogical research.

Posted: 31 Jan 2013 8:12PM GMT
Thanks for your insight. That's a good point.
So do you recommend buying Family Tree Maker to create a family tree or can I create it on Ancestry.com and not buy the software?
Is Family Tree Maker software necessary?

Posted: 31 Jan 2013 8:42PM GMT
You can create an online tree but...

You will find a stand alone genealogy program desirable for a couple of reasons, manipulating data and printing reports are the two biggest I can think of. Also, you don't have to be online to work on your genealogy.

Any software program will do- you aren't limited to Family Tree Maker. Some use FTM because it syncs with the online trees while others wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole.

If you decide to use a stand alone package try as many as you can before you buy- make sure the program you get it the one you like most- not the one most recommended.

Posted: 5 Jun 2013 11:08PM GMT
If I understand correctly, once your family is created in ancestry and imported into Family Tree Maker 2011, you can sever your ties with Ancestry and not effect what is in Family Tree Maker?

I'm now living on fixed income and can't afford the $22 plus being charges a month by Ancestry.

Thank you,

Chuck

Posted: 5 Jun 2013 11:22PM GMT
The previous posts should have made it clear that we have nothing to do with Ancestry.com or Family Tree Maker but the answer to your question is, "Yes."

Posted: 4 Nov 2013 1:17PM GMT
Edited: 4 Nov 2013 1:20PM GMT
>>> I'm now living on fixed income and can't afford the $22 plus being charges a month by Ancestry.

Download Legacy Standard (Free) Edition sofware and build your family tree in your own software, on your own hard drive, that you then upload to free sites on the www if you want it online.

I use Legacy and upload to Rootsweb WorldConnect. I have done it that way for ten years and works great for me, great software, and all is free and simple to use.

I do subscribe to Ancestry.com for the use of the research tools only.
Family Search has great free research tools, most censuses, and is all free. Not as good as Ancestry for info but free and okay.

RWWC and Ancestry are one in the same, linked up, but separate too.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic