Search for content in message boards

Any way to search for a street in census?

Any way to search for a street in census?

Posted: 10 Feb 2013 5:33PM GMT
Classification: Query
I'm trying to find my ancestors in the 1841 UK census; in 1851 they were at 66 Bedford St, Preston (Lancs UK), but name searches don't give me any believable matches. So I'd like to check the address but I don't see a way to actually search by street name. Is there one and I've missed it? Preston has something like 30 districts in this census so masses of images if I have to look through them all.

Thanks.

Re: Any way to search for a street in census?

Posted: 10 Feb 2013 7:26PM GMT
AFAIK, there is no way to do what you want.

Posted: 11 Feb 2013 6:52AM GMT
I have no experience with UK census. The Federal Census for the U.S. usually has the street names written off to the left side or sometimes in the heading for the census sheet.

Posted: 11 Feb 2013 7:07AM GMT
True,but I know of no online census that can actually be searched by inputting a street address - and I believe it was that functionally that the original poster was asking about.

Posted: 8 Mar 2013 4:12PM GMT
You might try us and uk postal directories. I found my ancestor in the 1841 Edinburgh postal directory. It even had a schedule of the postman's route so you could find street and then name. By browsing not indexed. Hope you might find some directory as helpful.

Posted: 18 Apr 2013 11:47AM GMT
Findmypast has a facility to search the UK census by street name.

Posted: 8 Oct 2013 1:22PM GMT
Good news and bad news:

Yes you can do address searches for UK census. I have a subscription for ancestry.com and a diamond subscription for thegenealogist.co.uk, which is useful becuse they have different scans, different transcriptions with different errors.

The search by address for the 1841 census doesnt have house numbers. There are fewer entries and i dont see any Wordens. I do see a James Worden in the 1871 census at 46 Friargate with wife Mary and uncle John Parkinson?

(RG10/4206/~F30 CD34 R10_4206.pdf p.62)
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions