Search for content in message boards

Berrys of Mayo

Berrys of Mayo

Posted: 7 Aug 2011 11:13AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Berry/Melford/Handley/Knott/Martin
My maternal great, great grandmother was Honoria (later renamed Hannah/Anna) Berry (1816-1888) in Co. Mayo. I'm interested in finding out about her childhood and who her family were. I know about her marriage to Thomas Melford (1814-1878)in c1835 (also of Irish descent) but would appreciate any help with Hannah's former life. Four of her children were born in Mayo but the others were born in Sheffield, W. Yorkshire.

Kind regards

Hunnyb2252

Re: Berrys of Mayo

Posted: 7 Aug 2011 12:22PM GMT
What were the children's names and birth years in Mayo? Finding their baptisms might lead you to Honora and Thomas's marriage and parents.

Diane

Posted: 7 Aug 2011 3:40PM GMT
Surnames: BERRY, SALMON, STANTON
The BERRY surname is strongly linked to our family via marriage. This large BERRY family grouping originate in the Burrishoole area and Clew Bay Islands. The surnames in Mayo linked to our BERRY line is SWEENEY, SALMON, STANTON. The emigration timeline is 1850 1900 to the Cleveland, OH area.
Do you have any siblings/family members who may have come out from England to OH on that time line?? We have extensive data if you do.

Posted: 7 Aug 2011 5:43PM GMT
Hi Diane thank you for replying so quickly.

Starting with the children born in Ireland:
Rose A Melford 1839-1918 (my great grandmother)Co. Mayo
Sarah A Melford 1839 (twin of above) Co. Mayo
Margaret Melford 1846 Co. Mayo
Thomas Melford 1851 Co. Mayo

John Melford 01/05/1853. Sheffield, W. Yorks
Maria/Mary Ann Melford 24/03/1858. Sheffield W. Yorks

Below is a copy of the Sheffield 1861 Census which shows John Melford's details. Hope it's of some help?

christening: 01 May 1853 — Sheffield, York, England
parents: Thomas Melford, Honora Berry
record title: England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975
name: John Melford
baptism/christening date: 01 May 1853
baptism/christening place: Sheffield, York, England
father's name: Thomas Melford
mother's name: Honora Berry
indexing project (batch) number: I02557-4
system origin: England-EASy
source film number: 1941821
There's no parent info on the first four children, only the two born in Sheffield.

Kind regards

Hunnyb2252

Posted: 7 Aug 2011 5:55PM GMT
Hi Mary...Thanks for replying so quickly.

As far as I am aware, none of the Melfords went across to America. However, as I only discovered this side of the family a few years ago, I can't rule it out. I started the family tree in 2001 and this family have given me more headaches than I care to admit. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Honora changed her name to Hannah, not sure if this was her own choice or a mis-pronunciation. However, the name Hannah is stated on the English records.

Kind regards

Hunnyb2252

Posted: 7 Aug 2011 6:30PM GMT
Rootsireland.ie and familysearch.org don't show any Melfords in Mayo but do show Milfords, so that may have been the more common spelling in Ireland. On the rootsireland.ie site I didn't find baptisms of the children you mentioned, but did find two children born to Thomas Milford, Anne in 1840 and Patrick in 1841. There is a 7-year gap between Rose and Sarah and Margaret, so these may be two children who did not survive, perhaps because of the Famine. You could get the transcriptions from rootsireland.ie for 5 euros each and learn the parish name.

Another possible clue, there is only one Milford listed in Mayo in Griffith's, which was done after your family left Ireland, a Patrick Milford in Ballintober civil parish, which corresponds to Burriscarra and Ballintober Catholic parish. Patrick may have been a brother or uncle of your Thomas. The records for this parish have been filmed by the LDS back to 1839 (and are not in rootsireland.ie, so a different family from that of Anne and Patrick). You might look for your family on that film.

Diane

Posted: 7 Aug 2011 7:12PM GMT
Surnames: Sweeney, Berry, Stanton, Salmon
Hannah is another given name used for Honora. My g grandmother's given was Honora but on various records in the USA, she is listed as Hannah,Honor, Honoria, Eleanor, etc.
I am going to pull up our BERRY files. I know there was a Honorah just can't recall the surname she is connected with. I know it has to do with the family that at one time owned & farmed a island in Clue Bay.
Will get back to you.

Posted: 7 Aug 2011 10:26PM GMT
Hi Mary, thanks for your reply.

If the family didn't own land, it's quite possible they traveled around to find work, so they may have originated from Clew Bay, or at least lived there for some time. I came across the Berry family by accident, however, I looked up the childrens' births and found the information correct.

I read somewhere (not sure where) that Honora/Hannah Berry was born in Islandeady, the children were born in and around Burrishule, which is about 2 miles from Islandeady (checked on Google Maps). Not sure yet where her husband Thomas Melford was born but they must have married in Mayo?

Kind regards

Hunnyb2252

Posted: 7 Aug 2011 11:11PM GMT
Hi Diane...Melford can be spelt either way, mostly, it depends on the enumerator and the pronunciation of the name.

The Melfords left Ireland about 1851/52 as their son Thomas was born 1851 in Co. Mayo and John was born 1853 in Sheffield, W. Yorkshire. It is believed (according to the Sheffield 1851 Census) that Thomas snr and Rose Ann came across first, followed by Hannah and the rest of their children. So Hannah must have been pregnant when Thomas and Rose Ann left.

Both Rose Ann and her twin were in the Sheffield workhouse in 1861 but their parents and siblings lived in a tenency, so why didn't the girls live with their parents?

Yes, Patrick may have been Thomas' brother, which means they originated from Mayo too? However, why are there no records of this?

Kind regards

Hunnyb2252

Posted: 7 Aug 2011 11:34PM GMT
Surnames: BERRY, SWEENEY, STANTON, SAMMON
Burrishule is in the area of the BERRY ancestors of our family members. The BERRY's owned either Inish Turk or Inish Fesh in Clew Bay. When my cousin's were over in October, they said that the either all of the island or most of it has now been sold.
Our Honora BERRY married John "Jack" SWEENEY. After marriage they lived in the Burrishule area. Jack died in Mullingar County Meath suddenly taking cattle there for sale.
Most of the BERRY family in the greater Cleveland area come from our Honora nee BERRY SWEENEY line. Think her Dad was Dan BERRY, probably buried on the island. The timeline is approx. 1800 to 1860 when many emigrated.
Probably back in the dark past, all these BERRY's have a common ancestor in the area.
As Diane said, cannot find any Mil/Melford in GV. Only the one in Ballintubber which is not in that area. Strange because it is not a very common surname.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions