Search for content in message boards

Lutheran Cemetery in Brooklyn, NY. (Queens County)

Lutheran Cemetery in Brooklyn, NY. (Queens County)

Alvina (View posts)
Posted: 21 Jul 2001 5:27AM GMT
Classification: Cemetery
Surnames: Gahrmann
If someone could help me - and find the gravesites of my
ggg-grandparents and their families.

Last name is Gahrmann, first names are August V. and
Minnie Sophia.

Any info or help you could give me would be greatly
appreciated. Thank-you so much in advance. I live in
Maine, and can not get to this cemetery in New York.

Re: Lutheran Cemetery in Brooklyn, NY. (Queens County)

Posted: 28 Feb 2002 6:32PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 7 Nov 2002 7:29PM GMT
My family is also in Lutheran Cemetery, now called All Faiths Cemetery. Since I live in Pennsylvania, I was only able to get information via telephone. They were very nice about giving grave location, but charge for burial records. Maybe it's worth a telephone call to try to track down your family. The cemetery number is (718) 821-1750 Good Luck!

Alvina (View posts)
Posted: 2 Mar 2002 6:15AM GMT
Thank you Cindy for the information. I appreciate it
very much. I will call them.

Posted: 22 Jan 2007 1:13PM GMT
Hi,
I don't know if you still need help on this issue as you posted this message 5 years ago, but my family is buried in the Lutheran cemetery. I visit there 2 times a year. If you want a pix of the grave,let me know and i will track down the grave & take a pix & email it to u. All I need are the names and grave location.

Bill

Posted: 23 Jan 2007 2:24PM GMT
You are truly a godsend. I believe that I have family buried there. I am in Missouri and may never be able to get to New York. I will do more research so that you won't have to waste time and is you could then do pictures for me I would gladly pay you for your time.

Posted: 30 Jan 2007 9:31PM GMT
Don't be surprized if you don't find an actual grave marker, just a lot of bare ground. Depending on the financial situation of the family they may not have had money for a headstone. There are many 'public lots' in the cemetery that are big lots of grass with very few headstones, especially if your dealing with deaths in the 1800's.

I have visited the cemetery to photograph my husband's ancestors and out of about 5 families, only one had a headstone. These people were from the lower east side of Manhattan and were VERY poor. So, if you know anything about their finances, it may help prepare you for what to expect.

I have lots of lovely pictures of the grass in the general area where they should be buried!!

Hope you have better luck.

-Janet

Posted: 30 Jan 2007 10:42PM GMT
This part of my family that I finally traced came to America in the late 1890's. A man at the Greater Ridgewood Historial Society located one or two obits for me and they were buried at Lutheran Cemetery in the 1930's. Soon as I can get the cemetery to give me the location of their plot I will e-mail it to you. Do you want me to post it here or e-mail you directly? The family last name is Peper. There were two brothers for sure and maybe three who immigrated, married and stayed in Queens County, New York. We think that is a little unusual since all of the rest of the family came to Missouri and Illinois. Oh yes, I have lovely pictures of grass also where some ancestors are buried. In mid-Missouri at Holy Cross Lutheran Cemetery, in the old days they buried the people in chronological order. Makes it really easy to find a grave. Sure enough for one great-great grandmother there is an empty space between the two people who died before and after per the church records. The same thing for another great-great-grandfather from another line of my family.

Posted: 30 Jan 2007 11:29PM GMT
Please post it on the board. I may or may not be familiar with that particular plot. Since you're dealing with the 1930's and Queens Co. residents you might stand a better chance of them having enough money for a head stone.

Posted: 28 Feb 2007 8:29PM GMT
You and I messaged recently about burials at Lutheran Cemetery in Middle Village. I have the lot number and map number if you are going to be going there to take pictures. John D. Peper, born 10/23/1899 died 1/8/1986, is buried in Lot #3343, Map 5. Catherine Peper, Aug 1868 to 11/30/1930 is also buried in Lot #3343, Map 5. Wilhelmine Peper Jul 1873 to 9/2/1932 is buried in Lot #102, Map 6. Based on this would you be able to find the burials and take pictures for me? I have a feeling that other family members are buried in the same general locations. I have not been able to find other obits, so perhaps photos of all surrounding tombstones would help me in my family research of my father's first cousins.

Posted: 4 Mar 2007 10:58PM GMT
Hi Jane,
Read your reply with the grave locations and printed it out. I will be going to Lutheran sometime in the spring and I will find the grave locations. I will take some pictures and email them to you.

Bill
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions