Search for content in message boards

FTM 2012: Crashes after merging

FTM 2012: Crashes after merging

Posted: 23 Apr 2012 11:09PM GMT
Classification: Query
FTM 2012 crashes each time I try to merge a smaller FTM file (less than 200 people) into my main tree. The "Merging Files" window nearly completes then FTM crashes. Upon inspection, the merge is successful, but the program crashes and I have to restart FTM after each merge. Very frustrating. Is there a merge process or option I'm missing that will prevent the crashes?

Re: FTM 2012: Crashes after merging

Posted: 24 Apr 2012 5:47AM GMT
What are your computer specs and in particular how much RAM?

John D

Posted: 24 Apr 2012 9:50PM GMT
I'm running Microsoft Windows 7 Home version. Service Pack 1 Build 7601. 4Gb RAM (1.09Gb available).

Posted: 25 Apr 2012 12:12AM GMT
Should be OK

I would try merging a test file with a test file and verify that it is either FTM 2012 or the file

If it worked with a couple of test files it is probably the file you are trying to merge

If the test files also crash then it is likely FTM 2012

I also assume that you have the current updates to FTM 2012 installed?

John D

Posted: 25 Apr 2012 11:57AM GMT
Michael,

Lets deal with the crashing / closing issue first.

Please go to the Knowledge Based website:

http://ancestry.custhelp.com/

And enter crash into the Keyword Search and click on Search. This will bring up a list of Knowledge Based articles based on your version of Windows. Please follow the instructions, based on your version of Windows. As you go, please make note of what you see, what you did, any error messages, so that IF that article doesn't resolve this, you can post your findings here and we can go from there.

Russ

Posted: 9 May 2012 4:54PM GMT
I have had the FTM 2012 for about a week and a half. Have windows 7 and have plenty of memory on the computer. Did all the recommended Window7 issues. Wish this issue would have been discusseed prior to me purchasing this product. Crashes all the time. I bought it specifically to Merge duplicates in my very large tree and it is so frustrating. Back up files takes hrs. and the list of people to merge does not save and when it crashes you have to redo it and the load for the merge list can be up to 6 hrs. What a huge pain and waste of money. Have written two emails and no response from customer assistance and the hold is 20 min to and hr and then disconnects itself also. How nice.

Posted: 30 Nov 2012 1:02AM GMT
i'm also having this issue, i'm trying to merge a tree with about 100 people, and one with 100,001. crashes while merging.
computer specs: win 7 ultimate, 6 core AMD Phenom with 32gb ram. tree merge only takes about 5 minutes but crashes with database errors

Posted: 30 Nov 2012 1:33AM GMT
If you look at your crash reports you may find that FTM is running out of memory that it can access.

Regards,

Posted: 30 Nov 2012 1:40AM GMT
just tested it with a 100 people tree and a 5,000 people tree and it worked, crashes on the 100,001 still.... both trees were exported the same way from the same place

Posted: 30 Nov 2012 1:54AM GMT
i have 32GB ram, at most FTM uses 1.3gb while merging, system has around 27GB free when it crashes
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions