Search for content in message boards

FTM 2012 and "Cloud" usage

FTM 2012 and "Cloud" usage

Posted: 27 Apr 2012 6:09PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am considering changing Software to FTM. My current Software will not allow my Photo's to sync (using my backup storage/file sharing Cloud system) without error in my home wireless system (desktop to laptop).
Those of you who use FTM 2012 AND a Cloud system backup such as Dropbox etc., will your entry data to software on one computer completely sync to other computers?
Thank you.
Andrea

Re: FTM 2012 and "Cloud" usage

Posted: 27 Apr 2012 11:07PM GMT
Edited: 27 Apr 2012 11:08PM GMT
As mentioned on a thread in another group, You can copy the XXXXX.ftmb files and the XXXXX folders for the file to the other computer. On my computer there are two MyFamily folders, a MyFamily.ftm, MyFamily.ftm, and MyFamily_Autobackup.ftmb.

To access these files on a second computer you would have to import the file. (See instruction for importing files)

You can not run the FTM files in a network (Cloud)environment, meaning having the same program on several different computers access and manipulate the same file on the hard drive of the remote server (cloud).

Posted: 28 Apr 2012 2:16AM GMT
Edited: 28 Apr 2012 2:20AM GMT
But, I believe you can synch a file to multiple computers through Lockbox. If your main working ftm file is in your Dropbox folder, it is being continuously synced to Dropbox - which, in turn, can sync to other computers. There is no networking involved.

I've not had the personal experience of doing this, just relaying how I understand Dropbox works.

Dropbox can only work with small file space (limit 2gigs for free) and then you pay an arm and a leg for webspace - way beyond my budget.

Of course, the simplest way of syncing with the Cloud is the Sync feature built into FTM2012 with ancestry.com. It advertises a lot cheaper than Dropbox.

If anyone has experience with the new Google Cloud Drive, people here would be interested in how it works and how well it works.

Posted: 28 Apr 2012 3:18AM GMT
Thanks to both of you for your help. Yes, I now can sync with Dropbox on several computers, the only issue is the Photo's with my current genealogy software. I will try to load photo's to FTM2012 which I have not done. I do pay for space on Dropbox and honestly, I love it and it is worth it.
Again, thanks.
Andrea

Posted: 28 Apr 2012 5:17AM GMT
While there may be the occasional glitch, I use FTM and DropBox on at least two computers. So it does "work".

What I have found is that you should "sync" with only one computer. In my case I use a laptop and a desktop and sync only with the laptop.

Some cautions -

Don't use BOTH (or more tnan 1 PC) at a time. Dropbox is not a database manager, just a simple lock files and sync mechanism.

I had no problems with photos or any other files.

Regards,
Larry
2012AP28 15:15 Sydney

Posted: 28 Apr 2012 5:19AM GMT
Only problem is that FTM 2012 is not yet qualified to sync with more than one computer. Either just fails or does not recognize the file from the 2nd computer. Or just get's it's knickers in a twist.

Regards,
Larry
2012AP28 15:20 Sydney

Posted: 28 Apr 2012 1:48PM GMT
Edited: 28 Apr 2012 6:21PM GMT
Larry,
you state: "What I have found is that you should "sync" with only one computer. In my case I use a laptop and a desktop and sync only with the laptop."

By "sync" do you mean "TreeSync" with your AMT on Ancestry?
If so, how do you have it set? Manual or Auto?
Have you seen any issues where DropBox and TreeSync are fighting each other to update?

I use Dropbox to keep one of my FTM Tree files in sync between my Laptop and my Desktop. I have another tree linked and synced to a AMT on Ancestry using FTM TreeSync. This all works great, but I have been leary to try Dropbox with TreeSync at the same time.

For the OP:
FTM 2012 with TreeSync only works one FTM file on a PC to one AMT on Ancestry. You can have multiple Trees synced but for now it only goes between PC and Ancestry. There was some early discussion about adding sync between two PCs, but nothing recently. I am not optimistic that we will see that anytime soon, since they are still recovering from the glitches at original release.

Posted: 29 Apr 2012 6:32AM GMT
I have successfully worked on one FTM file from two computers via my home network. My file is on my docked laptop in the basement. I installed FTM on my wife's laptop and accessed the file on the network. As long as the file is closed, there is no problem. My problem is that new people added on FTM are not added to the online tree at ancestry.com. I have not tried keeping my FTM files on Dropbox. Yet...

KDB

Posted: 29 Apr 2012 12:58PM GMT
ginglish1,

By "sync" do you mean "TreeSync" with your AMT on Ancestry?

Yes, TreeSync.

If so, how do you have it set? Manual or Auto?

Manual

Have you seen any issues where DropBox and TreeSync are fighting each other to update?

No. As I recall DropBox doesn't grab the file until the program (FTM) closes it. When it closes, DropBox grabs i and does it's "sync" (unrelated to TreeSync)

From comments - For the OP.

I agree and have had heard similar.

Larry
2012AP29 23:00

Posted: 29 Apr 2012 5:50PM GMT
KDB,

That works as long as you do NOT try to Sync the AMT from either or both PC's. It won't work. ONE PC to ONE AMT.

I wonder if that's the problem on the other thread of messages that you have going.

Russ
per page

Find a board about a specific topic