Search for content in message boards

Hon. Robert Gould Shaw

Hon. Robert Gould Shaw

D. Shaw (View posts)
Posted: 4 Apr 2000 3:17PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 24 Jul 2009 1:33PM GMT
Surnames: Shaw, Parkman, Sturgis, , Nickels, Dickman, Burt, Jackson, Brackett, Shawe, Phillips, Rogers, Alden, Cooke
Am looking for ancestry of Robert Gould Shaw b. 6/4/1776 Gouldsboro, Hancock Co., ME, a wealthy merchant of Boston, MA, d. 5/3/1853, m. 2/4/1809 Elizabeth Willard Parkman; his son Francis b. 1809/10 m. 6/9/1835 Sarah Blake Sturgis, parents of Col. Robert Gould Shaw b. 10/10/1837 Boston, Suffolk Co., MA, d. in Civil War @ Fort Wagner, S.C. 7/17/1863, commanded 54th Massachusetts regt.

Robert Gould Shaw b.1776 is s/o Francis Shaw II (b. 8/25/1748 Boston) Hannah Nickels; Francis II and his bro. Samuel Shaw b. 1754 were soldiers of the War of the Rebellion/Revolutionary War.
Francis b. 1748 is s/o Francis G. Shaw I, b. 3/29/1721/22 Boston, d. 10/18/1784 Boston. He m. (1) 1745 Lydia Dickman, m. (2) 9/22/1747 Sarah Mary Burt b. 1726. I have little infor on their children don't know who mother is of Samuel mentioned above, but presume his mother is Sarah Burt.
Francis Shaw I's parents are Thomas Shaw (b. 11/19/1700 Boston) Jane (unknown). I have 6 of their children.
Thomas' parents are Nathaniel Shaw (b. 5/15/1677 Boston) Margaret Jackson;
Nathaniel's parents are John Shaw b. 5/16/1646 Fairfield, CT m. Sarah Brackett c1676. She was b. 1646 Braintree, Norfolk Co., MA.
John Shaw's parents are John Shaw b. c 1617 London, England d. 1/23/1689 Boston, MA.
Can anyone out there confirm this info? Especially from Francis I b. 1721 to his ancestor John Shaw b. c1617.
I am writing a book on the SHAWE/SHAW family descendants of Thomas Shaw b. 1538 England his grandson Abraham Shaw b. 1585 Northowram, Halifax, Yorkshire, England was 1st generation Shaw who settled in Watertown, MA moved to Dedham, MA. I am a descendant of Abraham's son John Shaw b. 1630 wh. m. Alice Phillips, d/o Deacon Nicholas Phillips. Three "Mayflower" men are my ancestral grandparents: Thomas Rogers, John Alden Francis Cooke. Anyone out there interested in adding information? I will respond to queries also. I am trying to connect all related Shaws have 1000s of names am compiling a "Mayflower" genealogy of names listed some other "Mayflower" 1620, "Fortune" 1621 (Moses Simmons is an ancestor), "Anne" 1623 passengers.
Would like feedback on any info I've listed above and Shaws of MA, Nova Scotia New Brunswick, Canada those who moved to Maine or elsewhere.
Looking forward to hearing from you.

SHAW FMAILY

Michelle L. (SHAW) Tambellini (View posts)
Posted: 8 Apr 2000 1:34PM GMT
I don't know if we are related. My maiden name was Shaw. My family migrated to Missouri (Montgomery County) and I am trying to research where my family originated. My aunt did genealogy (and it's all been lost) and I am starting over. I remember her telling me when I was little that some of our ancestors came over on the Mayflower. She also said that some of our relatives are members of The Daughters of the Revolution. I do not know their names (my aunt passed away in 1982). I also am trying to find my Cherokee (Shaw) relatives and this part of the family is very hard to research. I would really enjoy hearing from you , any SHAW info will be greatly appreciated. My email address is mtamboutdoors@yahoo.com and my street address is :2210 Four Oaks Grange Rd. #2, Eugene, OR 97405.

Re: Hon. Robert Gould Shaw

Posted: 15 Sep 2001 9:11PM GMT
D. Shaw:

I too am doing a lot of research. RGS (Civil War) was my husband's ggreat-uncle.

It would be easier to contact me by email.
Many thanks.

Gail Gaston
GCGaston@aol.com

Susan (View posts)
Posted: 31 Jul 2003 1:32AM GMT
Are you really related to RGS? I think his story is so awesome! I am obsessed with the story. My favorite movie of ALL time is Glory, and I am now reading "Blue-eyed child of fortune"..... All his diary's compiled into one. From what I'm reading, he sounded like a arrogant, selfish, spoiled brat! But an amazing story all the same. I would like to know more if you wouldn't mind?

Susan (View posts)
Posted: 31 Jul 2003 1:39AM GMT
Just read your entire lineage and I must say that it IS impressive. I have been on this website looking out of curiosity of any known decendents of Robert Gould Shaw. My favorite movie of all time is Glory. I am now reading Blue eyed child of fortune. Is there still big money in the family? He sounded, by his diary's, to be quite the spoiled brat! But, an amazing story nonetheless. I can't put the book down. There are many pictures in the book. He was quite handsome indeed!
Thanks!

Re: Nathaniel Shaw

Patricia Shaw Contois (View posts)
Posted: 10 Apr 2005 2:51AM GMT
Surnames: Shaw
Nathaniel Shaw b. 1789 Massachusetts d. 1871-79 Masonville, NY., wife Melinda b. 1798 Conn, died 1861-69 Masonville, NY.. son Harvey A. Shaw b. 1840 Conn. Harvey A. Shaw married Ellen b. 1854, married 1869 Sidney, NY Their
Children all born Sidney, NY Ida Belgium Shaw b. 18 Oct 1869, d. 1947 m. 1887; Fred E. Shaw b. Feb. 21, 1873, Maude Shaw b. 1874-75, Claude Charles Shaw b. 18 Mar 1876 d. Mar 1965, Ora Arthur Shaw b. 8 Feb 1888, d. Jan 1974. Claude Shaw' son, my grandfather Harvey Haltsie Shaw b. 18 Aug 1902, d. 8 May 1983 Troy, Ny. married, Leona Patnode 1925, b. 25 May 1908, d. 1 oCT 1978. Their only child: son, Thomas Harvey Shaw
(my father) b. 24 Nov. 1926, he's still alive.

I am looking for Nathaniel Shaw's parents, their birth, death information and where born and further back if these are Shaw's related to you. Please let me know. Thanks so much.

Pat

Posted: 23 Jul 2009 11:48PM GMT
Edited: 24 Jul 2009 1:34PM GMT
Elijah Shaw was the benefactor and namesake of Shaw University in Raleigh, NC for his 1871 generosity. Is he related to this family and in particular RG Shaw?

Thanks

Posted: 12 Oct 2009 4:51AM GMT
Hi I am related to Robert Gould Shaw. He is my Great, great, great Uncle. My moms maiden name is Shaw. I think that my Grandfather Paul Shaw has completed a family tree. I am actually researching my family right now for a project if you have any more information please contact me.

Posted: 24 Oct 2009 11:21PM GMT
Edited: 25 Oct 2009 1:16PM GMT
Good luck on your search. You appear to be on your way. The following may not help but you can never tell:

The "Shaw Neighborhood" in Washington, DC is named after Col Shaw and the plaque that honored him at the Boston Commons was moved there several years ago. The monument to ALL black civil war soldiers is also there and Col Shaw is listed on it. You might gather more info on him by "visiting" the Webpage associated with it. White officers are listed right along with the African-Americans.

Some years ago, the Clan Shaw Society (a Scots heritage group) interviewed a nephew of Col Shaw -- perhaps it was your grandfather -- and donated a book to the Shaw library in Washington. I have a copy of the book somewhere in my library but cannot recall the name at the moment.

My name is Shaw and I was told I was descended from an officer who led a black unit in the civil war and when I heard about RGS I naturally assumed he was the one. But as I became interested in genealogy I learned all my Shaws came from the south. More research revealed that my Major Orrin M. Gross (also listed on the monument above) led a U.S. C. T. artillery unit.

If you have specific questions, I suggest you refer to the sources above and the genealogist for Clan Shaw Society. I will also answer any questions I can, but I know less than the people above.

Mike Shaw
Denison, Texas

Posted: 25 Jan 2010 5:04AM GMT
Classification: Immigration
You may be interested in an unusual source of "Shaw" information -- "Shaw's fortune", a children's book by E. Tunis (1966) with detailed information about a Shaw who immigrated from Scotland to the colonies in the 1600's.

See http://www.librarything.com/work/1146389 for some related information, or check your local library for the book.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic