Search for content in message boards

Nathan Cole, Benjamin Cole, Sabra Brown, Iscar Keep - NY

Nathan Cole, Benjamin Cole, Sabra Brown, Iscar Keep - NY

Posted: 11 Mar 2007 2:54PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Cole, Brown, Keep, Eaton, Williams
Nathan Cole, b. 1779 was married to Mary (Polly) Cole Cole and together they raised their family of 16 children in and around the towns of LeRay and Pamelia, Jefferson County, NY.
In a handwritten history of this family that is on file with the Flower Memorial Library in Watertown, Nathan's brothers and sisters are shown as Ezra and "Sabria" and his half brothers and sisters are listed as Ruby (who married James Eaton and they had a daughter, Sarah), John, Eunice(Williams). This info sort of fits with two separate Rootsweb World Connect Trees but both trees seem to have conflicting info in that the children of two separate families seem to be intertwined! The Benjamin, b. 1751, had two wives, Sabra Brown and Iscar Keep. This tree seems more logical than the other since it sort of fits with the Flower history but there appears to be too many children and there are two different NY counties involved as birthplaces, Dutchess and Jefferson, and neither seems right. Can someone straighten this out for me?

Re: Nathan Cole, Benjamin Cole, Sabra Brown, Iscar Keep - NY

Posted: 23 May 2009 3:49AM GMT
In a book I recently received I have the following: John Cole had a son named John Cole. The SEcond JOhn COle had THirteen CHildren: Benjamin, Nathan, Malcia, Allen, Joseph, Elisha, John, Abigail, Sabra, SOphia, Ruba, Fannie, Eunice and Hope. Benjamin Joseph and Nathan sailed from Yarmount to the COlonies landing in New York. Benjamin settled in Dutchess County and married Sabra Brown. She became the mother of Eleven Children. I show no other marriage for him. Natyhan and Joseph both are shown as having served in the Rev War but I could not find any record of Benjamin - I found some notes saying he went to Canada..

Posted: 24 May 2009 3:21PM GMT
Thank you for replying.
What is the name of your book?
What dates does it quote with respect to some of these occurences? For example, when did they arrive in the colonies? Where did they serve during the Revolutionary War?
Any additional info you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Posted: 26 May 2009 12:22PM GMT
I'll look up these answers when I get home - I'll forward this to my home email nancyd0606@gmail.com.

i know the family starts off with A John Cole and Abigail Andrews, they had a son named John - this second John had four sons - three of who came to America. The one I am descended from was named Sylvester - They all arrived in America about five years before the War - two of them fought in the War - haven't figued out why mine didn't.

Posted: 1 Dec 2012 7:11AM GMT
Surnames: Cole, Coal, Cowle, Coole, Chester, Kool, Waters, Hawley, Tillapaugh, Palmer, Blote
Some misc. notes from my COLE/NY LOG might help you.
p. 335-336: 3737. COLE. "The early genealogies of the Cole families in America" (including Coles and Cowles). With some account of the "descendants of James Cole", by Hartford, CT (1635-1652) and of "Thomas Cole, of Salem, Mass (1649-1672)" by Frank T. Cole. Columbus O (Printed by Hann & Adair for the author), 1887. CS71.C69 1887 Microfilm 18467.

3740. COLE. "The descendants of James COLE of Plymouth, 1633; also a record of the families ... with a complete record of the Cole, Coole, and Cowle families of American in the revolution", by Ernest Byron Cole, New York, The Grafton Press, 1908. CS71.C69

3755. "COLE, Daniel and Ruth CHESTER; notes on some of their descendants", prepared by Gustave Swift Paine. NY and Soutbury, CT, 1946. CS71.C69

Source: Goggle Cole Genealogy Books in LOC:http://books.google.com.au/books?id=-he3ju_Sm-cC&pg=PA33...

SA: Coal, Kool, Coole, Cowle

This one I just found in: "The history of Rock County, Wisconsin: its early settlement, growth, development, resources, etc"
Western Historical Company, 1879 Janesville (Wis) 897 pp.
18 May 2002 - JOHN COLE, a native of Montgomery County, came to Brownville in 1802, among the early settlers, and located upon a farm near Perch River, now known as the "Cole farm". In the early days the town meetings were held upon this farm. Mr. Cole died here at the age of 81 years. He married Polly WATERS, and their children were: Walter, Samuel, John, Betsey, Abigail, Margaret, Clarissa and Polly.
John married Elizabeth ?, daughter of Seth and Mary Cole, of Bennington, Vt., and they had children as follows: Mary, Elizabeth, Caroline, George, Jane, Edward and Byron. The latter, born in this town, where he now resides, married Annie, daughter of Clement and Betsey (Hamilton) HAWLEY, of Perch River, and they had four children, viz: Earl B., Josie M., Grace D., and John.
Francis Cole, brother of John, the early settler here, served in the Revolutionary War, and was made prisoner by the Indians at Fort Stanwix, when 15 years of age, and was taken to an

*island in the St. Lawrence River, and sold or given to a merchant in Lower Canada**
where he remained many years. He finally removed to this town, and later to Watertown, where he died.

[** This I find interesting in searching for Sylvanus Cole who drowned in St. Lawrence Waterway around 1818 when his second son Nelson Washington Cole was born in Brownville. Nelson's Mother (Tillapaugh) was first married to Sylvanus COle reported to be a soldier. I have found more interesting coincidences around Dunkirk, "The Coles of Canadaway" and Chatauqua, NY. Rumours are Sylvanus' father could be a Moses or William Cole. WIlliam Cole was early founder in LeRay, Blue Earth, MN and was from LeRay, Jefferson County, New York whose grandson was later established in and around Janesville, Rock County, New York with Palmer family from Brookfield, Madision County, New York, Rutland, Dane County, Wisconsin to Darien, Walworth Co., WI to Brookings, SD]

I thought of these notes when you mentioned Canada and wonder if that could be Francis Cole, brother of John Cole.

Keep me posted.

Beth Blote

Posted: 3 Dec 2012 2:39PM GMT
Surnames: Cole
Hi Beth,
Thanks for getting back to me but I believe we are looking at two different families here. The only Francis and John Cole who are brothers that appear in my database are sons of Nathan and Polly Cole of Jefferson County,NY, born 1816 and 1822, respectively.
With regard to the "Early Genealogies of the Cole Families in America" book by Frank T. Cole, my line comes from the Cole family in York County, Maine.

Posted: 9 Dec 2012 5:26PM GMT
what book is that? according to my own family hx which my gr gandfather traced in 1890,s, , son of james cole of conn. his will listed
john jr of torrinton conn.
job of england
nathaniel
samuel d.1694
mathew,killed by lightening 1665
mary b.1654
anne d.1686,famous in witchcraft trials. pequot library south
pot conn.married andrew benton. interesting stuff
per page

Find a board about a specific topic