Search for content in message boards

Colonel Harland Sanders

Colonel Harland Sanders

Posted: 7 Feb 2011 5:08PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Sanders
My maiden name is Sanders. My grandfather is Richard Sanders (who displays an eerie resemblance to the Colonel). My grandfather believes Harland is a distant cousin somewhere - the research I have done is daunting. Our part of the family is mainly from Kentucky, with a few that were in Alabama and Virginia (from what I've found so far). I know his father was Wilbur David Sanders, and his mother was Margaret Ann Dunlevy. I am more interested in tracking the Sanders side since that would be my relation.

Does anyone have any information on his grandparents / brothers / sisters, anything linking the family to Kentucky etc? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Re: Colonel Harland Sanders

Posted: 7 Feb 2011 8:51PM GMT
Are you familiar with all the apparently related SANDERS family trees posted on Ancestry?

Posted: 7 Feb 2011 9:04PM GMT
Not ones directly connected to him. If they are public, I cannot find them, I saw some private ones but obviously I do not have access to them. If you know of public ones directly related to him and not just the Sanders name, that would be great. Navigating through all the Sanders' trees has proven to be VERY time consuming so I was hoping to find someone with some more direct information. Thanks!

Posted: 7 Feb 2011 11:51PM GMT
Name: Harley Sanders
[Harland D. Sanders]
Home in 1900: Monroe, Clark, Indiana
[Monroe, Clark, Indiana]
Birth Date: Sep 1890
Birthplace: Indiana
Race: White
Relationship to head-of-house: Son
Father's Birthplace: Indiana
Mother's name: Margaret Park [error]
Mother's Birthplace: Indiana
Marital Status: Single
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Margaret Park 34
Harley Sanders 9
Clarence Sanders 7
Catherine Sanders 4
next door neighbors********I think this is Wilbur's brother
John A Sanders 36 Mar 1864 Indiana
Clara B Sanders 38
Jacob O Sanders 14
Joseph E Sanders 11
Blanch M Sanders 9
Mary A Sanders 7
Etta J Sanders 5
Ida M Sanders 4
Elmer Sanders 3/12

I think David Wilbur Sanders father is Cyrus Sanders originally Penn to Clark Co Indiana I think Cyrus father is Jonathan[or some version of that name] Sanders age 70 NJ who is in the same 1850 Clark Co Indiana census

Name: Margaret Dunlevy
Spouse Name: David W Sanders
Marriage Date: 9 Jun 1889
Marriage County: Clark
Source Title 1: Clark County Indiana
Source Title 2: Marriage Records 1880 - 1890 Jan 1891 V. 3 Books L
Source Title 3: Part I Index of Grooms Part II Index of Brides Com
Book: O
OS Page: 115

there is just so much info on these people..and you have prob seen most of it....

I never saw a Ky/Va connection anywhere.
I am not related.

Regards,

Connie

Posted: 7 Feb 2011 11:56PM GMT
Thanks Connie! That is more information than I have found upon days and days of research!

If there is a connection, I believe it will be back to the 1700 or early 1800's to a distant uncle that may have moved from Massachusetts to Indiana.

Thank so much for the info!

Posted: 8 Feb 2011 2:24PM GMT
Edited: 8 Feb 2011 2:24PM GMT
The easiest way of finding if you are related to Harland Sanders, is to have a male of your line who carries the surname of Sanders, have his DNA tested. Then post the results to this web site http://www.myfamily.com/group/sandersdna

I believe there is at least one member related to him. Even if you are not, you might find some other Sanders you are related to. Lots of Sanders lived in Kentucky, Tennessee, and southern Indiana who are NOT related to each other.

Posted: 14 Sep 2012 9:02PM GMT
I am completing a multicultural display of my fathers family. My maiden name is also sanders. My grandfather gave me a book to use. I also have family from Virginia. Maybe this book could help you. It's called the sanders of Saundersville by Harland Brent sanders. I'm curious to see if we are related.

Posted: 15 Sep 2012 5:15AM GMT
Edited: 15 Sep 2012 5:15AM GMT
My direct line goes from Virginia to Kentucky and directly from the boat from England and to Virgina. To my knowledge and research, we never had any ties to Ohio but that doesn't mean there wasn't a distant cousin somewhere out there. Obviously, I was going of a whim, but my grandfather has an eerie resemblance to The Colonel. I guess it would be a neat thing to reference :)

Posted: 27 Sep 2013 5:12AM GMT
Cyrus Sanders is my Great Great Grandfather. His father was Jeduthas Sanders. Colonel Sanders' dad was Wilbert. Wilbert's brother was my Great Grandfather. My Grandmother and Colonel Sanders used to go horseback riding together.

I just can't find the brother's name.

Posted: 28 Dec 2013 10:13AM GMT
My Family tree showed Charles m. Sanders and Fannie Sanders, Kenneth L Sanders, Arlene Sanders, John Sanders and Debbie Sanders are Charles m. Sanders children grandchildren Catherine l Sanders, Kenneth C. Sanders, Donna S Sanders live in MO. Charles M Sanders spouse Melba Sanders wondering if this is correct but my family found a family tree connecting them. Email me if you can find anything out please. Slpyhd66@gmail.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic