Search for content in message boards

First Holloways

First Holloways

Tom Holloway (View posts)
Posted: 29 Jan 2001 6:57PM GMT
I have seen some general information out there on the origination of English surnames. Some were based on occupation (e.g.,Smith from blacksmith), some were based on an individual's characteristics (e.g., Long, Gray, White), and some were based on geography. It's my understanding Holloway is the last type of name. I have seen it described as a hollow way; a hollow in the woods; or a gully on the side of a road. It sounds pretty generic, but has anyone's research led to a common origin for the name? Is there a common location where the name derived from or a single individual? Is there any connection to the town of Holloway, located a few miles from Bath, England? What are some of the earliest names and dates that have been found that show the name Holloway in England?

early Holloway's

Posted: 31 Jan 2001 10:05AM GMT
Edited: 3 Jul 2004 3:08AM GMT
I also have seen the "Hollow Way". Another was (I belive in France) "The Holly Way". You might look in the book by Dr. Olin E. Holloway published in 1927 on the Holloway family and I think I saw something there on this????? Have not seen anything on one person.

ORGIN OF THE NAME

HOLLOWAY (View posts)
Posted: 3 Mar 2001 10:40AM GMT
WOULD LIKE TO KNOW HOW FAR DOES THIS NAME GO BACK, AND WHO WAS THE FIRS HOLLOWAY. AND HOW THE NAME CAME ABOUT, IF YOU HAVE ANY INFORMATION ON THIS WOULD GREATELY APPRICATE IT. THANKS GWENDOLYN HOLLOWAY COVINGTON

Holloway

Karen Warner (View posts)
Posted: 7 Mar 2001 11:31AM GMT
My mother's maiden name was Holloway. Ny Grandfather was Harry Holloway and his father was Edward Harry Holloway - all from the West Bromwich area in the Midlands, UK.
British surnames are usually taken from occupation,such as Clark, location of family in the town or village, such as South. The Hollow way was a hollowed path through the village - possibly on the edge of the boundary - so the original Holloway families presumably lived by the Hollow way !. Another theory is they lived by the Holy way.
Happy hunting.

the name

Roy Holloway (View posts)
Posted: 16 Mar 2001 9:01AM GMT
There is a section of London with Holloway road and other Holloway place names.Holloway Prison for one. This section might even be known as Holloway, but I'm not sure. Probably named for a topographical feature or that section of London from where they came from.

More

Roy Holloway (View posts)
Posted: 16 Mar 2001 10:04AM GMT
Records of the surname Holloway date back to the 12th century. Richard de Holeweia of Devonshire is mentioned in "The Pipe Rolls" of 1130. In 1275 John Holeway was listed in the "Hundred Rolls for Oxfordshire. The first Holloway (Joseph)arrived in America on the ship "Elizabeth & Ann" in 1635. The Holloway coat of arms is documented in Burkes General Armory. Next time your in Disney World (Epcot - England)get yourself a copy.

early holloways

Posted: 13 May 2001 8:25PM GMT
Check out some of the other postings under my name for some comments on the prison (named after the major street and section of London) and other Holloway references. Oxford puts out 2 publications of interest that include the Holloway name: one on surnames (i.e., last names) which identifies a Richard at 1130 and one on place names (i.e., towns, etc.) which lists about early 1300's. However, these are pretty general and anything but all-inclusive. You also tend to see "le holeweye" used to describe geographical boundaries in wills.

The earliest potential reference I found was in a book summarizing entries made to the Doomsday Book. (For those who do not know, the Doomsday Book was originally prepared in 1086 by William the Conqueror in order to take stock of his kingdom. It lists the names of landowners, their real estate holdings and livestock in order to levy taxes.) Although I've not reviewed a copy of the Doomsday Book (FYI - A digital copy is currently being prepared), this other book identifies one name, analogous to one of the modern "Holloway" translations, as a livestock pen or corral located in Worcestershire.

Old Holloway references

Posted: 13 May 2001 8:32PM GMT
Absent a finite origin for the name, I've been checking out old English history books in a couple of used book stores and also old law books for Holloway references. For example, one book on one of the early Charles's (I forget if I or II) has one Richard Holloway who's a judge who presided over a trial where someone was sent to prison. The King got involved to get him off & Richard was basically left with egg on his face. The book also has a James Holloway who wrote a poem (excerpts of which I couldn't make sense of) that got him in trouble for treason.

In another book on British architecture, I found a Benjamin Holloway (mid-1700s) who sounds like he was the construction contractor on some architecturally significant residence.

As I alluded to in earlier postings, I found a Ralph Holloway who was caught stealing a "beast" in the mid-1200's. He didn't show up for trial, so he was made an "outlaw". Also, Robert Holloway, a king's coroner, was presiding over a coroner's inquest. The deceased was trampled by the horses pulling his cart. The horses apparently died as well and the coroner (Robert) charged the town for the damages since the deceased didn't have any money.

Also, in case anyone is wondering about the Royal Holloway College, it's named after the famous 19th century drug manufacturer turned philanthropist, Thomas Holloway. Thomas, somewhat of snake-oil dealer in his early days, would have people request his products for a month from a store that didn't carry them, and then he'd offer them to the store. He'd also set up a customer to ask a druggist for the product, and then he would be in line behind the customer to suggest his product. One nobleman once mistakenly thought Thomas was a general. Upon learning of what he actually did for a living, he stated, "that's okay, I'm sure you've killed a lot of people also".

Some other tidbits, I've seen that George Washington (4-great grandmother) and Al Gore's (7 or 8 greats) were Holloways. I'd be interested in hearing about some of these connections. I've also heard others talk about a band of Holloway pirates.

At some point, I would like to compile some of this information. In the mean time, I would love to hear from others about what connections to the name they've made.

Holloway's from England...................

Posted: 29 May 2001 7:32PM GMT
Hi,
My Great Grandfather was Hubert John Holloway I presume was born in Romsey, England. I am researching his birth. He was on a ship in Halifax Harbor, Nova Scotia when it blew up in 1917? He was with the English Navy and subsequently died from injuries suffered in the explosion around 1920 or 21. He is buried in Maple Leaf Cemetary, Chatham,Ontario, Canada. My family came to the United States through Canada. My great grandmother was born in England also. Her name was Mary Maud (Rowling) Holloway. My grandfather name is Percy William Holloway. We reside in Michigan.

Re: Old Holloway references

Posted: 11 Aug 2001 2:27PM GMT
I heard about the pirates too. But, so far, haven't found any... unless it was in the early years 1600's between VA and the islands? Let me know if you hear anything
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions