Search for content in message boards

Thomas Jefferson Sisters?

Thomas Jefferson Sisters?

Posted: 13 May 2001 4:01PM GMT
Edited: 10 Jul 2003 2:08PM GMT
In Rayner's "Life of Thomas Jefferson", published 1834, he states Thomas was the elder son and had a brother and 6 sisters.
Can you name the sisters and what became of them?
A family 'belief' persists that his sister, Nancy was an ancestor. I don't care to whom we are related, but am just stuck and looking for the next step. Do you find any connection to the Moberly (many spellings) line? Thanks for any information, Judith

Re: Thomas Jefferson Siblings

Posted: 14 May 2001 2:59PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 12 Mar 2010 1:28AM GMT
Thomas Jefferson Had 1-brother Randolph. And 6- Sisters. Jane , Martha, Elizabeth, Mary, Lucy, Anna Scott. Brother Peter -died infant. Sorry- No info on a Nancy.

Re: Thomas Jefferson Siblings

Posted: 14 May 2001 10:37PM GMT
Classification: Biography
Edited: 12 Mar 2010 1:30AM GMT
Judith: Sorry I messed up on my reply to your query. If you did not get the first part of this message, please let me know and I will recap again:

Peter Jefferson, father of Thomas Jefferson:
Peter Jefferson was the son of Thomas
Jefferson II and Mary Field,
b. February 29, 1707
d. August 17, 1757
m. Jane Randolph, October 3, 1739,
Jane was the daughter of Isham Randolph and Jane Rogers.
Children of Peter Jefferson and Jane Randolph:

1. Jane Jefferson (eldest child)
b. 1740
d. October 1, 1765, aged 25
Jane never married

2. Mary Jefferson
b. (this information is on my worksheets)
d. (this information is on my worksheets)
m. John Bolling III

3. Thomas Jefferson, Third President of the United States
b. April 13, 1743
d. July 4, 1826
m. Martha Wayles(Jefferson referred to her as "Patty" after the birth of their daughter, Martha (who was called "Patsy")-
remember, Martha was previously married to Bathhurst Skelton. Martha and Bathhurst had one child, a son, John, who died shortly before Thomas and Martha married)

4. Elizabeth Jefferson
b. Abt. 1745
d. February, 1774
Elizabeth never married as she was retarded.

5. Martha Jefferson
b. 1746
d. (this information is in my worksheets)
m. Dabney Carr, July 20, 1765 - TJ's closest friend

6. Lucy Jefferson
b. (In my worksheets)
d. (In my worksheets)
m. Charles Lilburn Lewis

7. Anna Scott Jefferson (twin sister of Randolph Jefferson)
b. (In my worksheets)
d. (In my worksheets)
m. Hastings Marks

8. Randolph Jefferson (Twin of Anna Scott)
b. (In my worksheets)
d. (In my worksheets)
m. Ann Lewis

Two other children were born to Peter Jefferson and Jane Randolph, neither survived infancy or died shortly after birth. I do have most of the information from these lines as well as the information on Thomas Jefferson's children, but my search habits are that I do not include information that has not been checked as it is easier to check it out then add it to my sheets. I call to your attention that Peter Jefferson was not the only male Jefferson in Virginia in these time frames and it is possible that your Nancy might come through Peter's brother Field Jefferson, or as a descendant of "John Jefferson" who was in Virginia long before the first Thomas Jefferson (TJ's great-grandfather). All historical sources that I have seen as well as the references to this Jefferson by TJ himself in his autobiograph, have never been able to link "John" to the family of TJI.

Please let me know if you would like to have a list of the books that I have used to prepare this information, and I will be happy to forward a list. You did not say if you have an estimated date for Nancy's location in Virginia. Please let me know if I may be of further assistance. Kathryn

Re: Thomas Jefferson Siblings -- Randolph Jefferson

Rochelle Jacobs (View posts)
Posted: 17 Oct 2001 8:00PM GMT
Edited: 12 Mar 2010 1:31AM GMT
Do you have more information on Randolph Jefferson? My G-Grandfather was Charles Lewis Jefferson. All I know of his parents is his mothers maiden name was Howard. Family stories are that Thomas Jefferson was our sereval great grand uncle. I am trying to prove or disprove this for the family.
Also I would like to know what books you would suggest.

Thank you
Rochelle

Re: Thomas Jefferson and Siblings

Posted: 22 Nov 2001 1:24AM GMT
Edited: 15 Dec 2001 2:47AM GMT
Rochelle,

I am trying to trace my husband's Jefferson side. His
family also says the president was a great-uncle. I
can trace back to a Thomas Harper Jefferson from
Chester, PA. Is there any relation to your side/?

Thanks so much!

Re: Thomas Jefferson Sisters?

Posted: 22 Aug 2013 5:14AM GMT
Surnames: Jefferson, Davis
My 7th Great Grandmother is Thomas' sister Jemima Jefferson...
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions