Search for content in message boards

Schiemann Family in Wisconsin

Schiemann Family in Wisconsin

Posted: 12 Feb 2010 6:16AM GMT
Classification: Query
I am looking for general information regarding this family, or specific information about Lisette or Hulda Schiemann. Lisette was Hulda's grandmother and both immigrated to the US in 1893 and listed Stiles, Wisconsin as their destination.

No record after that has been found for Lisette, while Hulda was found on the 1900 census in Milwaukee listed as a servant of the Zimmer family, but nothing after that.

Any help or information would be appreciated.

Re: Schiemann Family in Wisconsin

Posted: 13 Feb 2010 3:12PM GMT
It helps if you include more info in your query. Approximate ages, their origin, marital status.

Include as much as you know, and the resources you have already searched.

Posting for the same info on multiple boards is not ok. See Community Guidelines and Board FAQ, you can find the links at the bottom of this page.

Re: Schiemann Family in Wisconsin

Posted: 13 Feb 2010 4:09PM GMT
I'm sorry about the multiple posts, I didn't know which was the most appropriate forum, as the information I had was conflicting and overlapping.

The two women I'm searching for are Caroline Lisette (she was known as Lisette) Schiemann, nee Buchmann. She was born in Kraftshagen, East Prussia in approximately 1828 (based on LDS films of her age at her marriage. She married Wilhelm Gottlieb (went by Gottlieb)Schiemann in Albrechtsdorf East Prussia. They took their family to Volhynia, Russia in approximately 1870. Gottlieb died in approximately 1892 or 1893. At that time, Lisette emigrated to the USA with several of her sons and their families, landing at Ellis Island (confirmed) in August 1893. The stated destination on their immigration record lists Stiles, Wisconsin.

Hulda Schiemann was born in May 1877 in Volhynia to one of Lisette's sons, Johann Herrmann (went by Herrmann) and his first wife, Emilie Schulz. In 1893, she travelled to the US with her grandmother and uncles and their families.

Nothing after the Ellis Island record has been found about Lisette. Hulda is confirmed in Milwaukee on the 1900 census. The rest of the family they arrived with seem to have headed almost directly to Oregon, as evidenced by children's births and censuses. Nothing is known regarding why Hulda didn't go with them, and there are no further records of Hulda.

Re: Schiemann family in Wisconsin

Posted: 9 Mar 2013 2:18PM GMT
Edited: 9 Mar 2013 2:22PM GMT
Surnames: Schiemann
"I am looking for general information regarding this family, or specific information about Lisette or Hulda Schiemann. ... Any help or information would be appreciated."

Some Schiemann entries from "Milwaukee's German Newspapers; an index of death notices and related items" (1844-1950).

1894 - Schiemann, Herm. & Fanny Werner; married
1889 - Schiemann, Wilhelmina (death notices)
1913 - Schiemann, August; 45 yr (death notices)
1927 - Schiemann, Henrietta (death notices)

Gary Rebholz, compiler/editor
Milwaukee Wis.
gary.rebholz@gmail.com
Indexing Milwaukee's German newspapers continuously since 2007... helping to access our historic German-American culture.

Posted: 17 Apr 2013 2:28AM GMT
Thank you for your vigilance and checking! None of those names are known to me. I have confirmed that Hulda married Theodore Brunner in Wisconsin and had several children.

I continue to have no information on Lisette Schiemann (nee Buchmann).

Thank you again!

Posted: 19 Apr 2013 5:20PM GMT
Surnames: Schiemann Buchmann
I have an instance in my family research where an aged ancestor is listed on a ship list 1840s/1850s with family but no indication found that they arrived in Milwaukee with the family. The PERSI index helped locate an indexed source to their path - they stopped in Detroit for a couple of years before moving to Milwaukee.

Going through the most logical church burial registers in Milwaukee may be another way that may help you find Lisette Schiemann (nee Buchmann). In the Milwaukee area, those become a primary source in the days before civil reporting became more consistent (not necessarily the same as cemetery records). If you haven't done it already, narrow the search by years & most logical religion, earliest known family church and/or house address, earliest known burial location for anyone in the family group?

Posted: 22 Apr 2013 2:48AM GMT
Great suggestions, thanks, I will give those a shot! :-)
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions