Search for content in message boards

Searching for Brooks Family (African American)

Searching for Brooks Family (African American)

Posted: 17 Oct 2012 9:15PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 2 Nov 2012 12:52AM GMT
Hi, my grandfather was born about 1880 in Virginia. His name is James "Jim" Brooks. For a long time we thought he had been born in South Carolina, but his death certificate states he was born in Virginia. The census records indicate both of his parents were born in Virginia. The story we have always heard was that he had a twin (don't know the name)who was killed. Something transpired and it was necessary for my grandfather to leave town and never return. His death record indicates his father's name was Richard Brooks and his mother's name was Anna Smith. A census record also indicated that my grandfather had been married before. The 1930 census indicates my grandfather was married for the first time when he was 20. So he would have married around 1900.

Is there another family out there who is looking for a father/grandfather etc...(Jim Brooks) who disappeared sometime in the early 1900s from Virginia or South Carolina? He was described as a tall fair skin slim black man with curly hair.

Re: Searching for Brooks Family (African American)

Posted: 19 Oct 2012 2:02AM GMT
There was a Brooks family in Huntingdon, PA mid/late 1800's census. I found them researching my own Brooks family tree.

Posted: 19 Oct 2012 6:13PM GMT
Thanks. I will search for this family. My grandfather eventually settled in Texas where he lived until he died. There are indeed a lot of Brookses and when there is so little known the search is very daunting.

Posted: 15 Jan 2013 7:30PM GMT
i am an african american brooks from maryland,and as you there are so many brookses from all over. i see brookes from maryland,va,ky,pa,delware it is very hard to make any connection. my gr father is benjamin brooks from maryland.also wm sampson brooks who lived in texas. i am still trying to make connection of maryland brookes.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic