Search for content in message boards

facilities for disabled 1900's

facilities for disabled 1900's

Posted: 26 Jan 2008 5:31PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Anderson
Hi, I'm trying to find out what happened to Alfred Anderson. He was born in Hoquiam Wa between 1910? and 1915? and was disabled. He was reported to have died shortly after birth, but I'm unable to find any info locally. My thought is that he was institutionalized. Does anyone know where he would have been sent? Thanks linnea
hdchaser@hotmail.com

Re: facilities for disabled 1900's

Posted: 27 Jan 2008 5:11AM GMT
Not much to work with. Do you know the parents names, their date of births/places of birth/date-place of marriage? If they can be found in Hoquiam or wherever, their paths might close down the location and date.

The Washington Birth Index does not show an Alfred Anderson/sEn/ born in Grays Harbor County between 1909 and 1916.

There is an Alfred Anderson, death in Marion County, Oregon on August 19, 1911.

Ron Bestrom

Posted: 1 Feb 2008 7:26PM GMT
Hi,
Re: Alfred Anderson
Father is Andrew Hellquist Anderson born in Vora Finland 05/15/1881, died Hoq. 10/09-1949
Married Johanna Ericsdotter Sappa on 07-11-1902 in Grays Harbor.
She was born in Vasa province Finland on 09/22/1881, died Hoq 10/02/1950.
I located the birthdates of Alfreds siblings. Using that information Alfred would have been born between 1910 and June/July of 1916.
We only know that he was either a baby or a small child when he died and was born with "problems".
I really suspect he was instutitionalized and am now looking for that info.
Thanks for helping. linnea

Posted: 2 Feb 2008 9:50PM GMT
I didn't find Alfred in the Death Certificates of Finns in Grays Harbor County, 1907 - 1947 found on the Grays Harbor genweb site. These records included children born locally to parents born in Finland. Here is the link if you want to search it:

http://www.genealogia.fi/emi/emi3d20q6e.htm

Here is the general Grays Harbor County genweb site which you can search for records or request a lookup:

http://www.rootsweb.com/~wagraysh/grayshar.htm

Have you sent for obituaries for Johanna and Andrew to see whether Alfred is mentioned?

Posted: 3 Feb 2008 4:34PM GMT
Surnames: anderson
Hi, I've already checked both site you mentioned and none of the family obit's mention Alfred. I have pretty much all the info re. the immediate family. I'm just trying to figure out what happened to Alfred. Again with his death not mentioned in the records available makes me believe he was institutionalized. It was common practice to commit children with "problems" and not talk about them. thanks for the help linnea
per page

Find a board about a specific topic