Search for content in message boards

CA Railroad Employment Records

CA Railroad Employment Records

Posted: 12 Dec 2012 5:27AM GMT
Classification: Query
I have been keying in records, and it is getting difficult and/or discouraging to not know if I'm doing them correctly. I keep reviewing the notes. In looking at the Occupation instructions on putting "blanks" between them. So is this never and/or when it looks like there's no blank or what?? I keyed in a list of names with occupations of "F B" where the "F" was on the very left and "B" on the very right of the Occupation column. I don't even know if these were truly occupations and/or summaries of ?? Should I have keyed them as "FB" or "F B". In previous keying I keyed "F B Clerk", etc. So this is why I wonder if they are truly occupations.

Re: CA Railroad Employment Records

Posted: 12 Dec 2012 6:08AM GMT
Do you have a screen shot?

If you need these, here are the instructions,

http://boards.ancestry.com/wap.keying%20tool/3/mb.ashx

Posted: 12 Dec 2012 2:34PM GMT
Edited: 12 Dec 2012 2:36PM GMT
I just went thru several of these where I put the F B the keying instructions are to put exactly like it is written. Putting anything else would be an assumption and assumptions are not correct. I believe this is correct and if not they should come back to me to reenter. Out of ALL the records I have entered this was my first time to come across records with these occupations.

Posted: 12 Dec 2012 6:36PM GMT
Thank you. And this was my first time that the "F" and "B" were emphasized in the column as being apart. I wished I submitted screen shots for those occupations that are like stacked. They have F B then another set of initials right underneath in same box. Then the next line is blank for the name, and there is another set of initials, sometimes double stacked. I can't remember what I assumed. I believe I assumed same name, and added the initials to the set above, following the don't duplicate the names rule.

In future I will be more of a stop and don't assume, screen shot, and wait for reply.

Posted: 13 Dec 2012 3:48AM GMT
On a Name and Date record. I believe the last name written is not a name to be recorded. Before I ignore it. I wanted to get confirmation I should. Last signature is J E Stevenson. Thank You
Attachments:

Posted: 13 Dec 2012 2:39PM GMT
I think that most of line #19 is filled out. And also written in the clerk's hand and not really a sig. I'd key this one and leave his occupation blank.

However, I think the name on #18 starts with D and not G, compare to D in Dickey on #11. With the most likely rendering being Doyal. also not clear G on #12

I have questions about the name Adoms, but since it's off the image will defer judgement. I think given the problem with the a vs o (note Occupation apparently 4Mon, that is clearly not) that his name is likely Adams. Likewise i think Baca for #17.

Ultimately the reviewer will decide these, however.

Posted: 13 Dec 2012 6:43PM GMT
Thanks for the feedback. I agree with them. This page's a versus o has been a challenge. I sometimes key in the different options in to see if it comes up in the key, try the internet, and/or ancestry.com to see if the spelling ever existed.

Posted: 16 Dec 2012 8:31AM GMT
In reviewing the page in question regarding if J E Stevenson is a signature or not. I noticed that Stevenson is the first person on the page and is a foreman. So do I include Stevenson on the bottom without occupation still? Thanks.
Attachments:

Posted: 16 Dec 2012 5:39PM GMT
I'd say yes, key it. My reasons: the bottom is a different workgang from the top, the one at the bottom has his own check number (so it's definitely not the "I'm the one who compiled this page" signature that's normally at the very bottom of the page), and there might conceivably be two "J. E. Stevenson"s out there.

Posted: 17 Dec 2012 1:51AM GMT
I need some feedback on deciding which occupation the dittos are for on this page. Is it for the "Pip" occupation or the section occupation groups, such as "Pipe Lineman" "WMan" "Inspector:..
Attachments:
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions