Search for content in message boards

Unproven Family of John Posey b 1711 in Charles Co., MD

Unproven Family of John Posey b 1711 in Charles Co., MD

Ed Kelley (View posts)
Posted: 24 Oct 2006 11:56AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Posey, Adair
John Posey b 1711[the 3rd in a line of Johns] of Charles Co. MD m Elizabeth Maddox [or perhaps Mary Perry] c 1742 had children: John, Joseph, Hezekiah, Thomas, Richard, Edward [and Elizabeth - my contribution from an analysis of a Rev. War Pension application by Mordecia Millar].

There is apparently no source data to support the parentage of these Poseys. We know that these Posey siblings are found in SC during the Rev. War. We know that at least one, Hezekiah, was born in Charles Co., MD in1751 [from his pension appplication], but nothing of how they got to SC [except for Elizabeth who married Robert Adair in 1774 and removed from VA to SC during the war]. Did they reside briefly in the Augusta, VA area where Thomas [sometimes also attached to the family] had a saddle shop?

This is a critical connection for many descendants of these SC Poseys, but my investigation so far only leads to vague memories of the source or the questionable reference,"The Posey Family in America". I do not have that book and would welcome any information from that book regarding their sources. I hope this query is resolved with some solid source information.

This posting isn't meant to criticize any particular family construction. I personally believe that the SC Poseys are likely the children of John Posey b1711 and Elizabeth Maddox due to names found within that and subsequent generations. But, does anyone have anything beyond that?

Re: Unproven Family of John Posey b 1711 in Charles Co., MD

Darillyn Posey Doss (View posts)
Posted: 29 Oct 2006 2:31PM GMT
Classification: Query
My records show Mary Ann Maddox, spouse of Humphrey Posey b. abt 1718 in Charles County, MD, dod 28 Feb 1784 in Charles County. Children: Prior (Pryor), Benjamin, Bayne, Wheeler, Elizabeth, Roger, Mary, Ann, Ester and Sarah.

Pryor, according to DAR records, was a Rev War soldier and his son, David Price was married to Peachy Taylor Powell in Laurens County, SC where 10 of their 13 children were born prior to their removal to Lauderdale County, TN. I have solid sources for the later data, but only other's research for the earlier data abt Humphrey and Mary.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions