Search for content in message boards

Alston or Austin Family research

Alston or Austin Family research

Posted: 13 Jun 1999 2:17PM GMT
Edited: 1 May 2002 12:58AM GMT
I live in Norfolk, Va and I have for the longest time been curious about my family history here in North Carolina. There is a street in Durham named after my great grandfather George Washingon Alston/Austin? I'm not so certain of the spelling of the last name, but if anyone can be of any assistance to me in this endeavor, I'd greatfully appreciate it. Thanks.

Re: Alston or Austin Family research

TIFFANY DAVIS (View posts)
Posted: 1 Jan 2002 7:03PM GMT
Classification: Query
I AM ALSO RELATED TO ALSTONS WHO WERE ORIGINALLY FROM CHAPEL HILL, NORTH CAROLINA. MY GGGRANDMOTHER TEMPI ALSTON, WHO'S MAIDEN NAME WAS ATWATERS MARRIED INTO THE ALSTON FAMILY OF DURHAM/ CHAPEL HILL NORTH CAROLINA IN THE LATE 1800s (1880s- 1890s). I AM LOOKING FORWARD TO HEARING FROM YOU BECAUSE I ALSO HAVE OLD PICTURES OF THEM.

Posted: 3 Oct 2007 3:16PM GMT
Surnames: Alston/Austin/Shipp/Hargrave/Berry/Patterson/Odom/Odam/Motts/Matts
I hope you are still researching your Alston/Austin Families. My husband is the son of Henry Alston/Austin and Dora May Berry. His father was born in Chapel Hill, Orange, NC and his mother was Hannah (?) Alston/Austin. Henry's sister, Mary married a Delsey Hargrave and his mother,Hannah was last known living with her. If you are still there and can shed some light on this information, I was be forever indebted to you. My husband has had a stroke and I promised him that I would try to find his family. He just wants to know who they are, nothing else.
My e-mail address is Peba204@aol.com.

Posted: 15 Mar 2011 8:54PM GMT
I am researching my family that was possibly born and raised in some part of North Carolina. I am not sure of the counties, but I am willing to find out. My father's name is George Alston and his father named George Alston. My great-grandfather's name was Herbert George Alston.

Posted: 18 Apr 2011 4:51PM GMT
I see that you have a Daniel "Dan" Packer in your family tree. My great grandpa was Robert Lee Young. He had had a brother named Daniel "Dan" Packer. Did your Dan have a brother named Robert? Robert was born in Wilcox County, AL. Then, next he lived in Monroe County, AL. Last, he moved to Brewton, Escambia County, AL, where he died. His wife was Nancy. My family is black.

Posted: 18 Apr 2011 6:50PM GMT
Surnames: Austin/Alston, Taylor, Berry.
My husbands family lived in Chapel Hill, Orange, Norch Carolina. His grandparents were Isham Alston/Austin and Hannah Taylor. His father, Henry Clay Alston/Austin moved to Winston-Salem, Forsyth, NC and married Dora Mae Berry of Kings Mountain, NC. They married in 1930 om Winston-Salem. She died in 1937 after giving birth to her 2nd child, Fred.
He died in 1941 at which time his oldest son, my husband, Henry Clay Alston/Austin, Jr. was in the Memorial Industrial School for Orphaned and Underpriviledged Children in Germanton, NC. where he was placed shortly after his mothers death. His father could not care for him and work odd jobs. Any assistance with this family would be greatly appreciated.

Posted: 15 May 2011 8:58PM GMT
Surnames: Alston/Austin/Berry/Odom/Taylor/Motz/Shipp
Hello, it's good to see that someone else is researching the Alston/Austin families from Chapel Hill, Orange, NC. My husband's family, Isham Alston and Hannah were residents there. His father, Henry, last resided in Winston-Salem, NC. If you think we have something in common, I love to hear from you.

Posted: 25 Aug 2011 8:38PM GMT
Did you know a Hannah or Isom Alston/Austin. These were Fred's parents. They lived in Chapel Hill, Orange, NC. My husband's father was his brother, Henry Alston/Austin. Would love to locate some relatives. It is so important!!!! Please respond to Peba204@aol.com. Thanks, If I can help; let me know.

Posted: 15 Oct 2011 7:20PM GMT
My Aunt was married to Jonathan "Joe" Packer. They lived in Detroit, Wayne, Michigan until their deaths. She passed in 1988. His family was from Alabama. Can you give me some more names? Willing to assist if I can. Only began my research after they passed. Going on what little I remembered. Her name was Kitty Mae Willie Lee Huff. She was called "Willie Lee" by most of their friends. We called her Aunt Kitty.

Posted: 30 Jul 2012 12:52AM GMT
Surnames: Samuel(s), Mary, Juanita, Corrine,
OMG, my mother and her 3 sisters were in this school also. Still trying to find out the years. Her mother died when she was 7 and her father couldn't take care of the girls. I do know that my mother and her sister ran away from this place and ended up in Philadelphia PA. Do you have any info about this Memorial Industrial School and/or how can I get hold of any of their records. My mother died 13 years ago and her sister gave me the name of the orphanage. Will you ask you hubby what kind of place this was? Any help would greatly be appreciated.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions