Search for content in message boards

Ledfords of North Carolina, Tennessee, and Georgia

Ledfords of North Carolina, Tennessee, and Georgia

Posted: 25 Feb 2003 8:24PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 4 Feb 2005 6:34PM GMT
Surnames: Ledfords
Here I go I'll be starting with my great grandmother and going on back from there. If anyone has anything to add please contact me at once.I am trying to find family members. Thanks in advance for any help.

Orah Loueller Ledford was born 10 August 1902 and died 28 April 1985. She was buried in Reid's Chapel. She was the daughter of Sanford Cornelius Ledford and Matilda Burger. She married Samuel Reid and he was buried in Reid's Chapel. children of Orah and Samuel are Ruth Reid, Junior Lee Reid, and Kenneth Reid.
Junior Lee reid married Ruby Louise Johnson of Ducktown Tennessee and had James Edward Reid, Donna Reid, Rodney Reid, Brenda Reid, and Sharon Reid.

Sanford Cornelius Ledford was born 30 September 1856 and died 27 May 1937. He was buried in Liberty Cemetery near the North Carolina and Tennessee state line. He was the son of John Washington Ledford and Lucinda Coleman. He married Maltida Burger and she was born 27 November 1862 and died 28 june 1939 and was buried in Liberty Cemetery as well. She was the daughter of Abraham Burger and Rosanna. They had Laura Bell Ledford, who was born 24 january 1883 and died 27 april 1929, She married Kennon Shearer who was born 4 may 1878 and died 12 july 1957. Gertie Mae Ledford was born 10 april 1889 and died 17 december 1970 who sometime in her later years married Robert L. Bird. Mary Julie Ollievan Ledford, who married George Wilbanks. Irvin William Ledford was born 22 april 1896 and died 8 april 1922 and married Ruth Hinson. She was born 5 october 1906. Charles Edward Ledford was born 11 january 1897 and died 3 july 1987, who married Eula Mae Berrong. Elmer Ira Ledford was born 12 may 1899 and died 5 feburary 1976. He married Edith Minnie Melhorn, daughter of John McKinely Melhorn and Dammie Sylvania Weaver. She was born 7 april 1905. Ethel Louvenia Ledford was born 17 July 1904 and she married Guy Eller. Lester Arvil Ledford was born 16 amrch 1907. he married Effie Beatrice Grames. John Wilburn Ledford. Alvis Ledford. Twin Ledfords.

John Washington Ledford was born 7 october 1830 in Macon county North carolina and died 10 august 1903 and was buried in Liberty Cemetery, Cherokee North carolina. He was the son of Thomas Ledford and Eliza Tanner Waters.

I have a great deal more information if any one needs it. For now that is all I am gonna use. Once again if you have anything to add please let me know. Thanks James Reid.

Re: Ledfords of North Carolina, Tennessee, and Georgia

Posted: 6 Mar 2003 7:31PM GMT
My father, Haden Cornelius Ledford was from Cherokee County(and talked about Ducktown and Turtletown). He was born May 9, 1906 and died in March of 1996. When he talked of his childhood he often mentioned the names of Sanford and Manlely I believe. He was the eldest son. His Father's name was James Homer Ledford and his Mother's name was Viola Jane Rogers. He had three brothers, Owen, Clade and Eston(still living, but ill) and three sisters Farrell(died in infancy) Gwendolyn, and Flurida(when I was a child, I thought they had named her Flirty, because thats how they all pronounced it.) If you have any information on the family of James Homer or the Rogers family, I would love to hear it.

Floy Brent (View posts)
Posted: 15 Mar 2003 12:49PM GMT
My gr gr grandfather Samuel Ledford b. 1820 in Buncombe
Co., NC married Nancy Miller b. ca1820 in buncombe Co., NC.
Samuel was the son of Anderson (Andrew?) Ledford per deed from Samuel to his nephew, Jesse Ledford. This deed was written when Samuel was in MO and Jesse still in NC.
Samuel and Nancy moved to Gilmer co., GA where my grandmother Rachel Lucinda Ledford was b. in 1865.
They moved to AR and then on into MO. Samuel and Nancy
lived in Tiff City, AR McDonald Co MO where they both died.
I would VERY much appreciate any info on Samuel's parents and siblings; as well as parents and siblings of Nancy Miller.
Nancy was the daughter of David Miller.

Re: Ledfords of North Carolina

Posted: 5 Feb 2012 3:16PM GMT
Surnames: LEDFORD
In our Tree we have Charles Edward LEDFORD b. 1933 Bakersfield, d. 1993 Buncombe. Some chance he stems from these trees? He did have a son in 1957. Willing to exchange info.

Posted: 10 Feb 2012 3:41AM GMT
Classification: Birth
Surnames: Ledford
I am doing our Ledford Family too! We know from the land on Hoyt Ledford Lane in Petersburg Lincoln TN, that that family has owned and farmed that same property since the 1790 census. The oldest Ledford, Henry Clay, passed in 2009 in Lewisville (nearest hospital) was born in 1923. I am searching for the families in between and where out family links up with the NC family, this is our family. Henry's wife Gladys Marie passed in 08.
Any maps from the time would help too. Good luck, I will post anything else I find for u. Thank you , C2White43

Posted: 30 Apr 2012 6:41AM GMT
Who is this? the oldest? C2 White? Are you my family member? it is the county of Marshall Tn , not Lincoln , And it was henry Ledford II that died in 2009 , his father was Henry Ledford I. He was the first. Hoyte Ledford Rd as well, hahha who is this? lol. This is research leave this to the professionals lol which I am , I can tell you things that are quite interesting if you tell me who this is, this is what I do it is my job to research, I am a historian. and I am a Ledford.... what would you like to know???

Posted: 30 Apr 2012 4:32PM GMT
Surnames: White Ledford
I noticed your signon C2White43. I am curious, are you any kin to Nancy Arreney Ledford and her husband William Benjamin White?

Posted: 6 May 2012 3:28PM GMT
Thank you so much! Sorting all these Ledfords is a real puzzle. I am grandma for the Hoyt Lane TN. Ledfords. Henry 11 the second who died in 09. I am just trying to start getting some trail back to who came from Ireland and when. I think your line are cousins somewhere when whoever was in NC way back possibly, maybe not. A DNA test from some of these Ledford male descendants sent in to Ancestry .com would tell us. There has to be some lines where sons have been born in each generation. As the DNA can only be passed by males. We are planning on sending it in. They can pinpoint exactly where the other Ledfords are. This is so interesting for all my grandsons who are Ledford boys. Good luck, C2 white

Posted: 6 May 2012 3:39PM GMT
I don't know of these names that are within 4 generations back, maybe cousins back in NC in the early 1800's? I will keep trying to get the line straight fron TN in the 1900's back through Tennessee and back to the first U.S. census in 1790's and when the homestead on Hoyt Lane was deeded.
I am trying to find the people who came here from Ireland and when and how it all shakes out to now for my grandsons, who are Ledfords.DNA sent in to Ancestry.com can help I bet. I'm no expert, I just was curious about the family heritage, and this is FUN! This family has some neat history!
Good luck, let me know if u find the links, thank you, C white

Posted: 6 May 2012 3:49PM GMT
I don't know, I am the wife of a White which were in ID and that area I think.
My daughter married into the Ledfords so all my grand kids are Ledfords from the Hoyt Lane TN Ledfords who have been there since the 1800's, I just am trying to link where the Ledfords came from in Ireland and when. Seems like each family had lots of kids and were all over the place in the 1800's. BIG historical family! Good luck, I can see if u link up to the White's and the line, just look on Ancestry.com, or send in a DNA swab and see where they place you. I have to find someone who knows how to do this stuff. I'm not professional, just curious for my kids's heritage to know just who they are. Thanks , c white
per page

Find a board about a specific topic