Search for content in message boards

Wallace/Lindsay in Sligo

Wallace/Lindsay in Sligo

Posted: 5 Aug 2012 11:59AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Wallace, Lindsay
Looking for info on John WALLACE who married Margaret LINDSAY in 1848, at Drumcliff, Co. Sligo. In 1841 John Wallace lived in Lissadel electorial district, Sir Robert Gore Booth was his landlord. At the time of the marriage, John is living in Cullagbeg & Margaret in CoolaDrummon. John's father in named William, and Margaret's is either named William or Robinson.

John & Margaret had at least one daughter, Mary b. circa 1853. Mary emigrated (with her parents?) to Canada circa 1861. She married John KERR in 1875 at Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada, and settled in Sullivan, Grey County, Ontario.

Re: Wallace/Lindsay in Sligo

Posted: 5 Aug 2012 7:00PM GMT
Edited: 5 Aug 2012 7:01PM GMT
not sure what sources you've already searched ... would think the place to start is with the parish you located the marriage. This was usually the parish of the bride, so worth checking to see if she was baptized there. Possibly also for the daughter...

Was this a Church of Ireland marriage ?
It seems to be included in Civil records (with the brides surname recorded as Lyndsay), which means it was either registry office or non-Catholic. A civil cert should include occupation for the groom and the fathers, which can sometimes help with earlier searches.

Shane

Posted: 5 Aug 2012 8:00PM GMT
Hi Shane,
Thanks for the tips.
It was a Church of Ireland marriage- I checked that the minister was C of I. I believe it was a civil record- found it thru FHL microfilm. They were all farmers.

What I've found so far: John in a Poor rate valuation report online. http://eppi.dippam.ac.uk/documents/11536/eppi_pages/268223

There is also a John Wallace in Griffiths- different parish- Emlaghfad- so I'm not sure if it's the same man.

The description of the Sir Robt Gore Booth estate papers at PRONI mention leases with different Wallaces at Cullaghbeg, who could be related. I hope to view these papers eventually if I make it up to Belfast.

I plan to visit the Rep Church Body Library to view parish records. Not sure what to look for when visiting Sligo itself- graveyards I suppose.

Posted: 5 Aug 2012 8:42PM GMT
Edited: 5 Aug 2012 8:43PM GMT
The CofI Baptism records for Drumcliffe parish held by RCBL go back to 1807, although marriages are only listed from the 1900s. Older marriages for the parish appear to be available in the National Archives

Might be worth checking neighbouring parishes also, in case James was from another parish, or the family moved there after the marriage. There's a map of civil parishes (usually the same as CofI parishes) on the Irish Times website - see :

http://www.irishtimes.com/ancestor/fuses/civilparish/index.c...

Given the timeframe, and the fact that they were farmers means it would also be worth checking Tithe records for the area. These date from between 1823 and 1837 (varies depending on the area) and include details in a similar format to Griffith's. These are available, on microfilm in the National Library.

Shane

Posted: 5 Aug 2012 9:02PM GMT
Thanks!!

The RCBL also lists parish records from Lissadell 1835 for baptisms, 1845 for marriages, so another possibility. Thanks for the tips re: the archives, I'll look into that, and the tithe records too.

Much appreciated!
Colleen

Posted: 19 Dec 2012 4:33PM GMT
Colleen,
From my research I think I've found a few items of interest for you:

- A William Wallace was born in 1819 to John Wallace and Anne Gallagher who were married 5 Jan 1807 at Drumcliff. John and Anne lived at Lissadell. Other children of John and Anne include:
Mary b. 1807
Margaret b. 1810
Mathias b. 1812
John b. 1814
Jane b. 1815

The witnesses to the marriage were Samuel Shaw and Thomas Gibson. Samuel Shaw may be an ancestor of mine so there could be some family relation between my family and yours.

There are plenty of Wallaces in Drumcliff but the ones closer to Lissadell are the ones in Ballinfull and Ardtrasna.

- James Wallace was living in Ardtrasna in 1841 and in 1858.
- John Wallace was living in Ballinfull in 1841 (Could be the John of Lissadell)
- The oldest death records I've collected for Wallace include:

--------Catherine Wallace (1796-1816), Unknown Townland, Drumcliff Parish, Sligo
---------Charles Wallace (1780-1828), Unknown Townland, Drumcliff Parish, Sligo
--------George Wallace (1786-1839), Carney, Drumcliff Parish, Sligo
--------Jane Wallace (1797-1837), Ardtrasna, Drumcliff Parish, Sligo
---------John Wallace (1755-1837), Carney, Drumcliff Parish, Sligo
--------Margaret Wallace (1766-1830) [Probably from:], Carney, Drumcliff Parish, Sligo
---------Mary Wallace (1807-1829), Lissadill, Drumcliff Parish, Sligo
---------Matthew Wallace (1766-1826), Unknown Townland, Drumcliff Parish, Sligo
---------Ralph Wallace (1771-1818), Unknown Townland, Drumcliff Parish, Sligo
---------Rose Wallace (1805-1829), Unknown Townland, Drumcliff Parish, Sligo

I hope this helps.

--- Regards,
Tom McConnell
Ontario, Canada

Posted: 30 Dec 2012 3:18AM GMT
Surnames: Wallace, Cullen
Thanks Tom!
I did find John Wallace & Anne Gallagher in the church records, but their son William is too young to be my William, since my William is already having children by 1819. I think the parents of my John are probably William Wallace & Hannah Cullen, who married Jan 11 1814. I'm still attempting to piece the family together, but it is no easy task. It looks like William & Hannah had Thomas 1815, Mary 1817, John 1819, Ross 1821, Jane 1823 and William 1827. They usually list Carney as their address for most children.

Thank you so much for the post, especially since you may or may not be related to the Wallaces, I appreciate the time. Thanks also for the tip on Ballinful & Ardtrasna!
Colleen
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions