Hello all,
I am wondering if anyone who is researching the BAA surname in
St. Croix, might have info on an Andreas BAA. In 1782, according
to the Rigsarkiv in Copenhagen (info provided to me from another
researcher), Andreas BAA emancipated Anna Catherina
ROGIERS, b. approx. 1763 in St. Croix. She was issued a
Freedom Certificate on 22 October of that year by a Governor
Clausen. According to the researcher who found this
information for me, Anna Catharina was classified as a mulatto.

Anna Catherine ROGIERS was my 4thGGM. I am hoping that
perhaps her emancipation and/or her relationship to the BAA
family might lead me to her parents or her family's
origins in Africa. All leads appreciated!!

Thank you!

Re: Andreas Baa, late 1700s

Yvonne Cambridge (View posts)
Posted: 23 Feb 2004 12:20AM GMT
Classification: Query
Dear "D"
Just found your message on the net.... My grandmother was a BAA and, what I do know of the family, is: Andreas Baa's father was from Senegal, and was a member of the BAA tribe. which I was able to visit when I was in Senagal. Andreas was employed by the West India Company. He himself (although of "negro" blood" owned slaves. His home base however, was on St. Thomas.
Yvonne

Posted: 25 Feb 2004 6:30AM GMT
Edited: 28 Jun 2005 2:24AM GMT
Surnames: Baa, Rogiers
Hi Yvonne, Thanks for your response! It's pretty interesting - I was told that the records indicate my 4th GGM Anna Catherine ROGIERS also owned slaves after her emancipation, and made a living by renting them out - strange, eh? What I'm curious about is her relationship to Andreas Baa. I have seen the Baa surname in my Caribbean research but did not know it was also the name of a tribe in Senegal. I don't know anything about the procedure for emancipation. Since the governor actually signed off on her emancipation in 1782, I do not know what part Andreas Baa played other than to (I guess) request the governor grant it. So my assumption might be that he owned her as a slave, unless there could be another scenario that he would be the one who emancipated her. I also wonder if they were related somehow, but I would think her African ancestry was on her mother's side. Every generation I get to in my Caribbean lineage seems to be considered "mulatto" in documents, so I still haven't found the ancestor who came from Africa. Your message gives me hope that I may be getting closer. Do you have any further info on Andreas Baa or any sources on the 'net? Again, many thanks!

~Diane

Richard Bond (View posts)
Posted: 9 Mar 2004 1:31AM GMT
This is kind of confusing. Double A AA is very common in Danish pace names. I had a schoolteacher named Mrs Aa. As you seem to have records I will take your word also if you Google very few people turn up with that as a surnmae. If the name were Danish you would find Christen Federik and Peter.

I wonder how it was pronounced.

There was also the literary historic personage Mme Celine Alvarez Baa who was an interisland trader. She found a poor white woman wearing winter garb in Bridgetown Market. It turned out to be Adele Hugo the famous French authors daughter. She rescued her returned her to Paris and became Victor Hugo's lover.

I remember Enid Baa saying that she was sure they were related.

Posted: 9 Aug 2004 2:31AM GMT
Surnames: Baa
Hello there! I am a distant relative of Andreas Baa.Enid M. Baa is my great aunt, and related to you as well.There is information in The Enid M. Baa archives of St. Thomas.I need information about Alphonzo Baa.If you have any more information of the Baa family, it would be appreciated! Thanks!

Posted: 9 Aug 2004 2:44AM GMT
Surnames: Baa
Enid discovered in 1960 while going through the Dutch Reformed church on another matter the name of the earliest relative: Andreas Baa.She always thought the name was Dutch or Scandanavian because of the double vowel.Andreas
was a slave to Jean De Malville.His son Thomas became the first native-born govenor of the islands.Andreas moved to St. Croix,built a house, and issued manumission to Their own slave, except one, who was kept to care for their daughter.

Posted: 9 Aug 2004 2:50AM GMT
P.S. The name Baa is also Ba. The family is from Senegambia, West Africa. The manumission papers for his slaves was signed with his own hand.

Posted: 9 Aug 2004 4:33PM GMT
Surnames: Baa, Rogiers
Aaah, this is good info! The kind of stuff I was hoping to find! Wow, thank you! I do have a few questions about your post. I hope you can take the time to answer all of them -- I really appreciate it...

The Dutch Reformed Church where Enid BAA found this info is on St. Thomas??

You say Andreas BAA was a slave of Jean DE MALVILLE. Do you know when/how he became free? Do you know about what year he moved to St. Croix? What was his address? Do you have any further information on his slaves that he freed? What records should I try and locate for details on his slaves? Do you know what year his son Thomas became governor? Do you know of any connection between the BAA family and the surname ROGIERS?

Thank you in advance for any further info you can provide,
Diane I.

J. Tracy (View posts)
Posted: 10 Aug 2004 1:59AM GMT
Surnames: Andreas Baa
Hello! There is another poster in the St. Thomas message board, that is also a distant relative of Baa.P.Samuels.You may want to read her posts and email her as well.She has alot of information, as i have spoken to her. She is very nice. Information on the Dutch Reformed Church can be found in the Archives in St. Thomas, i believe.The Baa family were
Catholic as well, i would check those records. If you find any info through those chanels, please tell me. I am very excited, as i am trying to connect the Baa family with the Queeman/Cruse family.I was told a long time ago that Andreas was a Cheiftan. I don't know if it is true or not, you know how family lore is.He was described as being very regal,very dark and dignified looking.It is very difficult, because alot of the early family are Mulattoes.Alot of distant relatives of Ba or Baa run into a brick wall.The racial line is not consistant.Andreas was released from slavery sometime between 1770- 1783. He quickly moved to St. Croix.I don't know the connection between Baa And Rogiers, but the name Rogiers is French for Rogers, i think. (French Mullato?) Check The Archives in St. Thomas. Enid did an extensive history of European
families and settlers on the islands. You may find the answers there. Remember, the big throw off is that the Baa Family as well as many families in the Caribbean (my own included) intermarried and intermixed all the time and deviated their surnames.Take care and good luck! J. Tracy.

Posted: 14 Feb 2005 4:40PM GMT
Manumission means emancipation? Can anyone explain the process of emancipating a slave with all this paperwork?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions