Search for content in message boards

Maher/Downes 1850s

Maher/Downes 1850s

Posted: 5 Jun 2002 7:29AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 25 Mar 2005 6:14AM GMT
Surnames: Maher Downes
Finally found the marriage of my gggrandparents - Rock Island Illinois, 1855, at "St Mary's Church". They were Irish Catholics from Co Wexford but I don't know where or when they left to go to US. I don't know whether they stayed in Rock Island or moved on. Catherine "Kate" Maher and Michael Downes had a daughter, Annie, born 1856 in US but Kate died and Michael returned to Adamstown, Co Wexford with infant daughter.

Does anyone know where St Mary's church is? If Kate died in Rock Island where might she be buried? I understand there was a census in 1855 - if so exactly what date was it? What was the usual way into Illinois from Ireland? And lastly any ideas why they should have gone to Illinois - some Downes went to Canada and, I think, Ohio?

As usual more questions than answers are thrown up by each new "find"!

Re: Maher/Downes 1850s

Posted: 7 Sep 2002 9:24AM GMT
Edited: 30 Jul 2003 5:34PM GMT
St. Mary's is a beautiful Church and if you'd like I will be in the area soon and can maybe send you some pictures by e mail. As I have a digital camera. :) Here is the address and telephone number...I'm sure if you contact the clergy there they may be able to supply you with a copy of the marriage if they have other particulars about the couple on file.

St Marys Catholic Church of Rock Island
2208 4th Avenue, Rock Island, IL 61201
(309) 788-3322

Re: Maher/Downes 1850s

Posted: 7 Sep 2002 9:31AM GMT
Edited: 30 Jul 2003 5:34PM GMT
P.S.

Catholics in Rock Island are at Cavalry Cemetery in Rock Island...If you contact them they might be able to locate your family members for you. Or you can find the cemetery on the internet, but I'm not sure they list the interments.

Calvary Cemetery
2901 12th Street, Rock Island, IL 61201
(309) 788-6197
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions