Search for content in message boards

Carter & Swearingen

Carter & Swearingen

Posted: 11 Aug 2005 1:54PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Carter, Swearingen, Taylor, Liptrap, Smith
I am seeking assistance. I am helping a friend find his family. I am searching for Carter and Swearingen relations.

Unfortunately, no one in the family remembers much of either side so I am kind of flying blind now.

Thanks in advance for any help!!
Teresa

Here is the info that I have

Tracy Carter (my friend)
Darrell Carter (siblings Carolyn, Mila, Maxine, Hilda, Darlene, Leo Gray, Ray D., Don E., Joe Lee)
Joseph Edward Carter 1903-1957 m. Mae Remelia Swearingen 1905-1972
John Calvin Carter 1869-? M. Estelle Taylor 1876-?

Mae’s parents:
Charles William 1864-1932 m. Cora Smith 1887-?
Charles abt 1838-? M. Barbara Liptrap 1837/1845-1890
William abt 1808-? M. Sarah Unknown abt 1811-?

Re: Carter & Swearingen

SusanLeonard (View posts)
Posted: 12 Mar 2006 9:37AM GMT
I've heard tales of the Carters all my life. Known a few of them, Liptraps too. Mattie lived across the road from me growing up on Green Valley Farm.

My grandparents Bill and Libby Ingram knew them well.

You can contact William (Bill) Ingram in Millboro on Pig Run Road. Have to look him up in the 997 exchange if you want to call him. He can help you out with a place to start. He'd appreciate the company, I'm sure.

You can likely find some burial places at Green Valley Church Cemetery, and Rehobeth Church Cemetery in Millboro. I know Swearingins are buried at Rehobeth (on Pig Run Road). Some are collateral lines in my tree, but I haven't tracked them much. Grandaddy's late sister, Lillian, married a Swearingin.

Posted: 30 Aug 2006 11:57PM GMT
Surnames: Lindsay, Swearengin, Camp, Sparks
You mentioned Mattie Swearengin living across from you growing up. Mattie Swearengin was my great grandmother. You probably knew my grandmother Maude Elizabeth.

Is there any help you can give me on the research.

Thanks

Teresa

Susan Leonard (View posts)
Posted: 1 Sep 2006 12:15AM GMT
Actually that was Mattie Liptrap, she died in the 1980s and I believe she might be buried at the Green Valley Church cemetery. I never knew her husband, I believe he was deceased well before my time.

She did have a son, Glenn, who was a diabetic. Glenn eventually married and moved into a house by the old Jane Colby plant just east of Millboro (I think it is now a factory that makes raincoats or something like that, maybe called "CoolDri"). Glenn had worked for VDOT.

Anyway, Glenn died a few years after Mattie did and I don't know where he is buried.

Mattie was a sweet old lady. Very graceful, old-fashioned, and an excellent cook. I best remember her orange marmalade - which to this day I have been unable to find any that compares.

She had long hair that at one time had been blonde. She always wore it up in a bun on the crown of her head. I remember her and grandma always talked everyday on the phone.

I don't know what Mattie's maiden name was, so I'm sorry that I can't confirm that it was Mattie Swearingin. I only knew her as Mattie Liptrap.

I seem to remember that further down the road from GreenValley toward Windy Cove Church there was an old lady who lived down over the hill in a 2 story house and I think her name may have been Mattie Swearingin - is it possible that may be to whom you are referring?

I know my grandmother knew her and remember going there to visit occasionally before she died (I think she died sometime in the 1980s) but I don't remember her all that well. I remember that after she died there was an auction at her house.

Later on, one of the Booth girls married her high school sweetheart and I think they bought the property and built a house near the road above where that old homeplace used to stand (this is just further past the Plecker house on the right hand side of the road as you drive toward Windy Cove from Green Valley).

Posted: 19 Nov 2007 1:13PM GMT
Surnames: Swearengin/Allen
I have been workin on my family tree for awhile. And I have gottin to Sarah Jane Elizabeth Wearengin..b-Apr 1860 in Bath County, Virginia, and she passed 26 Mar 1928 Bath County. I dont have her parents. If anyone has any info please help me out. I also have that her husband was Lewis G. Allen 184-1937. And their children where Lewis,William,Earnest,Edgar,Virgil, and Ezra C. And Ezra was my Great Grandfather. His daughter was Loretta G. Allen. So if anyone can help out. Either here or my email address is Reademelissa@aol.com

Posted: 1 Dec 2007 1:56AM GMT
IMNOT VERY SURE OF THERE NAMES RIGHT NOW BUT MAE HAD AT LEAST 2 SISTERS ONE MARRIED A HODGE .THEY HAD DALLAS LEE, JERRY GALE,LARRY,THERMAN ,LEO,EUGENE,AND LINDA ?.THE OTHER SISTER MARRIED A PLECKER THE ONLY CHILD I KNOW THE NAME OF IS ALLEN.MOST OF THESE PEOPLE (THE CHILDREN) LIVE IN ORANGE CO.VA.
I ALSO UNDERSTAND THAT CHARLES HAD BEEN MARRIED 2X CORA WAS THE 2ND WIFE .HE HAD ABOUT 13 KIDS WITH 1ST WIFE &11 WITH 2ND.I'LL SEE WHAT ALLEN OR DALLAS CAN TELL ME NEXT TIME I SE THEM.

Posted: 9 Jan 2008 6:09PM GMT
Surnames: Carter Swearengin
Jessie, Charles and Cora were my grandparents, mothers' side. My mothers' name Rita Gay Swearengin married Thomas J. Hodge. Moms' sisters, Dema married Richard Hodge, children Dallas, Jerry, Therman, etc. Mom's sister Nita married a Plecker. Moms' sister Mae married Joe Carter and Mila, Joe Lee and other brothers and sisters lived in Deerfield, VA.You said you would ask Dallas next time you see him about these people. Are you in the Swearengin, Carter, Plecker or the Hodge family? I've done research on Hodge and Swearengin and need more on Swearengin!!!Thanks, Rod Hodge

Posted: 29 Jan 2008 12:53AM GMT
Surnames: Swearengin/Allen
I have a question my grandmother has been giving me alot of info on my family from Milboro, Va. And she gave me an obit of a Dallas Lee Williams. Is this the same Dallas Lee that you are talking abt. If so I can help and maybe you can too.

Please let me know

Posted: 29 Jan 2008 1:02AM GMT
Let me ask you this was Cora was your grandmother. Was her last name Smith. She married Charles W Sweargenin from HotSprings, Va.

Posted: 8 Mar 2008 3:13AM GMT
Surnames: Carter&Swearengin
Yes, However, after Charles died, she married a Schmidt! We are talking about the same person. What relation are you to my grandmother? Rod
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions