Search for content in message boards

Thomas Alley, Jane Alley, Nicholas Allee (Alley) 1735-1808

Thomas Alley, Jane Alley, Nicholas Allee (Alley) 1735-1808

Posted: 5 Aug 2010 5:17PM GMT
Classification: Query
While researching my ancestor Nicolas Allee, I found the following information that I thought others may be interested in.

The Order Book for Montgomery Co., Virginia on April 5, 1787 states:

"Satisfactory proof being made to this Court that Jane Alley is entitled to the pay of Thomas Alley her husband who dyed of his wounds at Buford's Defeat."

Some researchers state Nicholas Allee (Alley) was the son of Thomas Alley. This, despite huge discrepancies. Nicholas first appeared on the tax list in Franklin County in 1747. If he was born in 1735, the son of Thomas Alley, his father would have been just thirteen years old when Nicholas was born, and Nicholas would have been just twelve when he was first taxed. It doesn't add
up.

I believe the "Jane Alley" who appeared in court that day was actually Jane Ely. Her husband, Thomas Ely was at Buford's Defeat, was wounded, and did die two years later from his wounds. His destitute widow did move to Montgomery
County, and did go to court on several occasions to seek financial aid. Thomas Ely's war record can be documented.

I also believe an Alley researcher found this court record and believed (I don't blame them) that this was Thomas and Jane Alley. I haven't found other documentation for Thomas Alley being involved in Buford's Retreat. (He would have been in his late fifties at the time). Since Nicholas' name (spelled Alley) was also in the index for Montgomery County, maybe there was an assumption made that Jane went to live in Montgomery County with her presumptive son Nicholas after the death of her husband. The scenario where Thomas was at Buford's Retreat, and Nicholas was his son, was perpetuated in "Alley Ancestors" by Gene Alley.

So, this may be the source for both the belief that Nicholas was the son of Thomas Alley, and that Thomas Alley was wounded at Buford's Retreat.

If anyone has any documentation to prove who Nicholas' parents were, please post on the message board.

Re: Thomas Alley, Jane Alley, Nicholas Allee (Alley) 1735-1808

Posted: 14 Sep 2010 11:06PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Alley
I can confirm the info on Thomas and Jane that you found is correct. The last name was indeed Aly for them. As to Nicholas I do not have any records of him. I am a direct decendent of the Alley line nd several of the books written on the history of Montgomery Co. were by my 1st cousin who was a historian and worked at the Tech library. Much of her work is on display there at the campus and her daughter, one other and myself hold other info.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions