Search for content in message boards

Gould ancestry

Gould ancestry

Posted: 19 Feb 2001 8:11AM GMT
Edited: 30 Jun 2001 10:54AM GMT
Looking for the ancestors of William D. Gould born about 1824 in Vermont, married to Candice Stoddard, born abourt 1833.

Re: Gould ancestry

Posted: 29 Jun 2001 6:09PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: GOULD,ATHERTON,PORTER,DORMAN,WETHERBEE,WHITCOMB,MUNSON
My GGGrandfather Samuel Atherton Gould lived in both Pittsford and Brandon,VT . He had a son named George STODDARD Gould and we have always wondered where the Stoddard came from. George Stoddard Gould was born July 5,1812 and died October 13,1813. He is buried in Pittsford,VT in the Congregational Church Cemetery.Samuel Atherton Gould was born in Bolton,Worcester,MA in 1782 and was the son of Benjamin Gould (Goold) and Silence Atherton. Their children were Silence b. 1768,Benjamin b. 1769 (died young),
Benjamin b. 1772,Moses b. 1774,John b. 177, Samuel b. 1782, Betsy b. 1785 (died young) and Betsy b. 1787. I have no idea what became of any of Samuel's siblings. I know Samuel & his wife Caty Willard Porter moved to NY about 1820. Samuel had a son named James Theodore who named his son William. I know it is a long shot but thought perhaps that one of Samuel's brothers might be connected to your Candice Stoddard as they are both from VT and connected to Goulds.

Posted: 30 Jun 2001 10:48AM GMT
Thank you for the lead on Candice Stoddard. I will check it out.

Posted: 23 Oct 2001 1:37AM GMT
Edited: 21 Dec 2001 1:05PM GMT
My ggrandfather was George Gould b 1846 in Newfane, Vt. His father Wm Gould married Mary York b 1813. Do any of these names fit into your line. I don't have any other information on Wm and Mary.

Posted: 23 Oct 2001 1:07PM GMT
Edited: 19 Apr 2002 2:27PM GMT
Thanks for your response and the information. Seems that these names do not fit, but thank you anyway. They may fit somewhere down the line.

Posted: 26 Jan 2002 7:54PM GMT
Edited: 27 Apr 2002 8:31PM GMT
Does anyone know where Benjamin and Silence Gould lived at the time of their death, or where they are buried. My husband's g-g-g grandmother is Betsy Gould, daughter of Benjamin Gould and Silence Atherton. She actually was born May 27,1785, according to her death certificate & VR-Bolton. The April 8, 1787 is, according to VR-Bolton, a bapt. date. Betsy married Hezekiah Stoddard. She died in Boston, MA on Nov. 25, 1868. We have not been able to find a marriage date for Betsy or where the children of Betsy & Hezekiah were born.

Posted: 27 Jan 2002 5:11PM GMT
Surnames: GOULD,ATHERTON,WILLARD,PORTER,WHITCOMB,WETHERBEE
Thank you so much for the information on Betsy Gould. I am so excited to see someone researching this branch of Goulds. This information has shed some light on this family for me. I wondered why my GGGrandfather Samuel Atherton Gould named his son George Stoddard Gould. I see now that he must have named him after his sister Betsy's husband Hezekiah Stoddard. I also wondered why there were 2 Betsys and assumed the first one had died young. So now I know why there were 2 dates for Betsy in the Bolton VR. I believe Silence died in Bolton,MA as the VR makes a reference to Benjamin's wife dying there.
According to the DAR Patriot Index it states Benjamin was born abt. 1744 in MA, md. Silence Atherton in Bolton,MA and
served in the Revoluntionary War in MA and died in MA. Unfortunately it does not say where he was born or where he died in MA. Are you interested in exchanging information on the descendants of Benjamin Gould & Silence Atherton? My GGGrandfather was Samuel Atherton Gould and was Betsy's brother.Please email me rbhaire@aol.com.I would really like to know more about Betsy Gould. Thanks Ruth
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions