Search for content in message boards

GYTE, GOODWIN & LAFAYETTE-SMTH 1850-1916

GYTE, GOODWIN & LAFAYETTE-SMTH 1850-1916

Posted: 29 Jul 2004 4:21PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 13 Mar 2005 3:06PM GMT
Hi Folks
I’m attempting to pull together any additional information I can around my following 3x Great Uncle.

Joseph GYTE b 14th Feb 1830 Chelmorton emigrated to the US in 1856 from Chelmorton Derbyshire England ..he was married to Maria GOODWIN also from England.

They initially settled in Dane County Wisconsin but soon found the lure of California too much and moved on to Napa Valley CA.

From letters and Josephs obituary in the Napa daily Register what I do know is that Joseph and Maria had 3 children :- Esther b1861 Wisconsin, William b1870 California & Emma who married Mr Lafayette Smith.

Emma had 2 children Ruby L Smith and Chester L Smith

Ruby married a Mr GOODWIN and had a son Earl GOODWIN b Corcoran CA

Chester married and had a Daughter Lorraine SMITH b Los Angeles.

Joseph died in 1916 , Maria 2 years earlier , they lived at Madrona Terrace Napa at the time of his death and had done for the 40 years previous.

Emma Lafayette Smith lived on Calistoga Avenue Napa in 1916

Any further information and anyone with links to this family please let me know….I have done some extensive research on the GYTE family in the UK

I will be visiting San Francisco for 4 days in September on my way to visit a friend up in Portland ….any ideas on places to see connected with the family or just good places to visit would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Alan Waterhouse
Heyside
Lancashire
UK

Re: GYTE, GOODWIN & LAFAYETTE-SMTH 1850-1916

Posted: 29 Jul 2004 6:21PM GMT
Edited: 16 May 2005 11:03PM GMT
I believe I have a connection to your GYTE family. I have an Aurelia Gyte who married a John Drake in Dane Co., WI. Aurelia Gyte had a sister by the name of Sara who married a Robert Lathrop (double marriage ceremony).

The family appears in the 1920 Black Earth, Dane Co., WI census as follows:

Gyte, John born in WI parents in England
Gyte, Elizabeth born in WI
Gyte, Aurelia born in WI
Gyte, Sarah born in WI
Gyte, Helen born in WI

Can you tell me where/how this family fits into your line?

Thank you....Debi

Posted: 30 Jul 2004 3:44PM GMT
Edited: 13 Mar 2005 3:06PM GMT
Surnames: WATERHOUSE, GYTE, GOODWIN, DRAKE,
Hi Debi

Aurelia was the grand-daughter of George GYTE...he was Joseph's elder brother

George stayed in Black Earth WI whilst Joseph came to Napa and the youngest brother William went to Nebraska.

Hannah GYTE b1816 Chelmorton DBY ... sister to George, Joseph and William remained in England and married William MOTTERAM
Their daughter Esther MOTTERAM married my gg Grand father Elijah WATERHOUSE in Dec 1865 in Glossop DBY UK.

The DRAKE family line that remains in Madison WI kindly passed on the information I now have on Joseph GYTE.

Are you related through Robert LATHROP ?

Cheers Alan
Heyside UK

Debi (View posts)
Posted: 30 Jul 2004 5:01PM GMT
Thank you so much for the information! I am related through the Drake side of the family. Aurelia being my grandmother's Aunt.

Who, if I may ask, were you in contact with in WI? I would be interested in contacting a Drake descendent, as I have not found anyone else working on the Drake/Gyte lines and I have been at this for 8 years.

Thank you for your response!

Debi

Debi (View posts)
Posted: 30 Jul 2004 7:54PM GMT
An error in the relationship, Aurelia Gyte was married to my greatgrandfather Drake's cousin.

pat (View posts)
Posted: 30 Jul 2004 8:35PM GMT
Would you like the dates/places of deaths for the members mentioned in your query? Have you the United States census transcriptions 1870-1920?

Debi (View posts)
Posted: 30 Jul 2004 9:13PM GMT
In regard to the family names that you have listed: Esther Gyte appears on the 1920 census in Yount, Napa Co., CA age 68, single with parents born in England.

In 1930 Napa Census I found a Ruby Goodwin age 39 with husband Earl Goodwin age 40 born in Maine with his parents in Maine. Their son Earl Goodwin Jr. was 15. Also listed with them was a Lizzie Bickford age 60 mother born in Maine along with parents in Maine.

In 1920 Napa Co. Census I found a Lafayette Smith age 70 born in WI father born in Ohio mother in Canada with wife Emma age 59 born in WI with parents in England and a son, Raymond Smith age 34 born in CA with parents born in WI. They were living on Calistoga Ave.

In 1880 Joseph & Maria Gyte are in Napa CA and it shows that there were 5 children born to them, with 2 living.

In the California Death Records the following appear:

Name birth mothers maiden name fathers name sex born died year of death age

GYTE ESTER 08/27/1861 GOODWIN GYTE F WISCONSIN NAPA 07/15/1942 80 yrs
SMITH EMMA LETITIA 02/07/1859 GOODWIN GYTE F WISCONSIN NAPA 10/19/1940 81 yrs
SULLIVAN FRANCES EVELYN 08/14/1910 GYTE F SOUTH DAKOTA VENTURA 04/10/1980 503-05-7154 69 yrs

GOODWIN RUBY 23 Sep 1961 SOLANO F 2 OCT 1890 CALIFORNIA GYTE

I am sure that I can find further information, let me know what else is needed and I will see what can be found.

Hope this assists you in adding to your files.

Debi

Posted: 4 Nov 2013 10:16AM GMT
Edited: 4 Nov 2013 10:19AM GMT
Emma Gyte mother was Maria Goodwin. Not related to Earl. Her daughter Ruby married Earl Goodwin Sr. My mother who passed away at 96 in February remembers Earl Jr and his mother. She knew they were cousins of her grandmother. I think they lived next door to her grandmother in Corcoran, California. I think Earl Jr. was born in Corcoran. Mom's great grandmother was Sarah Elizabeth Goodwin. Maria was her sister. Sorry it's 2:30 AM
per page

Find a board about a specific topic