Search for content in message boards

Warm Springs, VA

Warm Springs, VA

Mike Hoover (View posts)
Posted: 20 Aug 2005 4:28AM GMT
Classification: Query
I am wondering if anyone knows where Confederate Soldiers who died there of disease would have been buried? In particular I am looking for Moses Henry Farmer who died of Measles there on August 7, 1861. I cannot locate his grave and any help would be appreciated.

Mike

Re: Warm Springs, VA

Posted: 25 Aug 2005 1:51PM GMT
Surnames: Farmer
Do you know what company & etc he was in?

Mike Hoover (View posts)
Posted: 25 Aug 2005 6:12PM GMT
His name was Moses Henry Farmer, he was a private in Company D 1st Tennessee Infantry (Maney's/Feilds). He died in Warm Springs of Measles. The 1st Tennessee was marching over the mountain on their way to Huntersville.

Mike

Posted: 28 Aug 2005 7:15PM GMT
Surnames: Farmer
I was going to check my VA books but I have nothing for any of the TN units.
Another problem for checking deaths is the court houses were closed for the most part and records were not kept durning the Civil War. I will check a couple other things if I find something will get back to you

Mike Hoover (View posts)
Posted: 28 Aug 2005 11:40PM GMT
I didn't know if there was a Confederate Cemetery or if there was another cemetery nearby where they buried men who died of disease there. Before the 1st TN left Staunton a measles outbreak went through the camp and several of them died in the towns on the way to Huntersville. I figured if it was a soldier the courthouse might not have the records for him. The only reason I know he died in Warm Springs was his military record. But do you know if a Confederate Cemetery exists there? or maybe they were all collected somewhere else?

Posted: 30 Aug 2005 1:20PM GMT
Mike check with the Bath Co. historical society there in Warm Springs as I have no knowledge to pass your way on this. Margo should beable to help you there.
bathcountyhistory@tds.net

Linda (View posts)
Posted: 30 Aug 2005 10:43PM GMT
Mike - there is a church in Bath County - I don't recall the name - I believe it was Oakland - that served as a military hospital - there are many military graves in the cemetery however many are unmarked - there is a monument dedicated to all the unknown soldiers buried there - I visited it about 3 years ago - I will see if I can find more info for you

Linda

Mike Hoover (View posts)
Posted: 31 Aug 2005 1:15AM GMT
I emailed them already and they said they had no info on the graves and just gave me a bunch of phone numbers to call.

Mike Hoover (View posts)
Posted: 31 Aug 2005 1:23AM GMT
Another man told me if the body wasn't sent home, the soldier is probably not marked. I haven't found them here (TN) so I am assuming they were buried where they died and assuming they ever had a headstone it is gone. Any info helps. Thanks.

Posted: 31 Aug 2005 6:36PM GMT
Mike give me a couple days as I am going to write to a gal who use to work at the historical society trouble is she just lost her husband and may need some time to reply.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic